Game Day: Suns (1-0) vs Mavs, WCSF Game 2, Wed 05/04/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Game Day: Suns (1-0) vs Mavs, WCSF Game 2, Wed 05/04/22

Post by Mori Chu »

Time: 7:00PM AZ/PT (10:00PM ET)
Place: Footprint Center, Phoenix, AZ
TV: TNT

Guys, did you know that Luka had 45 points in Game 1? How will the Suns come back from that and slow down Luka? Also, did you know that the Mavs kind of brought the score back to being close by the end of Game 1, led by Luka? What will the Suns do to counter the Mavs' dominance of Luka? Can the Suns recover for Game 2 against Luka? And what will Luka do? Can Luka Luka, Luka Luka Luka? Lukat your TV to find out tonight!!!

Go Suns !!

Dis • cuss

Indy

Re: Game Day: Suns (1-0) vs Mavs, WCSF Game 2, Wed 05/04/22

Post by Indy »

Officials for tonight:
James Capers (#19)
Tony Brothers (#25)
Ben Taylor (#46)
JB DeRosa (#62)--Alternate

Suns record with each this playoffs and last
Capers: 0-0 (2021 playoffs 2-1)
Brothers: 1-1 (3-1)
Taylor: 1-0 (3-0)

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Uh, oh. Marty didn't get the memo. Hopefully, it doesn't come back to bite us. I think this Suns team is too good to let that happen.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 8:50 am
That image goes well with your avatar. He looks like a dear in the headlights.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 9:20 am
Uh, oh. Marty didn't get the memo. Hopefully, it doesn't come back to bite us. I think this Suns team is too good to let that happen.
Oops, did I mess up? Was I supposed to let somebody else make the Game Day thread? My bad. I just saw that there wasn't a thread today so I made one. No jinxes here!

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 7:26 am

Guys, did you know that Luka had 45 points in Game 1? How will the Suns come back from that and slow down Luka? Also, did you know that the Mavs kind of brought the score back to being close by the end of Game 1, led by Luka? What will the Suns do to counter the Mavs' dominance of Luka? Can the Suns recover for Game 2 against Luka? And what will Luka do? Can Luka Luka, Luka Luka Luka? Lukat your TV to find out tonight!!!

Go Suns !!

Dis • cuss
Gd I love you for this snark. The media and Dallas fans crack me the fk up.

Suns in 5

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Superbone wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 9:22 am
Nodack wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 8:50 am
That image goes well with your avatar. He looks like a dear in the headlights.
Last year I changed my avatar to reflect the team we were playing in the playoffs. Obviously I haven’t changed mine since we lost in the Finals. I have been too lazy to change it and now were are in the second round of next years playoffs and I still have the Bucks avatar up. I am starting to wonder if it is a sign….

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 7:26 am

Go Suns !!

Dis • cuss
You should have added that they clearly found the kryptonite of the Suns when they put out the lineup with Dorian Finney-Smith at center. DA went scoreless and the Suns shot around 20% from the field after that. It was the defensive team the Dallas fans have been accustomed to, which is going to be the downfall of the Suns. Dallas let the Suns fall into a false sense of security, and will now get gentleman swept.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 9:26 am
Superbone wrote:
Oops, did I mess up? Was I supposed to let somebody else make the Game Day thread? My bad. I just saw that there wasn't a thread today so I made one. No jinxes here!
As WW pointed out, we had success in last year's playoffs when assorted posters started the game day threads. We kind of started a tradition last year. But that's OK, if we lose, it's squarely on YOUR shoulders.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

(disclaimer: 5/5 is a holiday in Korea this year (Children's Day, WTF?) so I've had a taste before writing this)

Before I start, FWIW, Mavs fans hate Tony Brothers.

I've been convinced the Suns are the better team since Game 2 of the Mavs/Jazz series. However that doesn't mean the Mavs can't win this game.

The Mavs will be more aggressive than they were in the last to start this game. Their "other guys" aren't better than the Suns, but that doesn't mean they'll roll over in Game 2. The Suns also won't have the advantage of Brunson picking up 3 early fouls, so they'll need to be resilient when he hits a few of his floaters or 3's.

If this game plays out how I expect it should, Ayton, Booker and Paul will continue to have open shots and the Suns will continue to hedge their advantage on the defensive side. Game 1 was a staring contest between Monty and Kidd and it's obvious that Kidd blinked first. I don't think there's a tactic on the table for Kidd to employ, but I didn't anticipate Willie Green's adjustment in Game 2, so maybe Kidd has something up his sleeve. I doubt it, but I'm still cautious.

(Reggie Miller voice) At the end of the day, the Suns are the better team. If they show up with the focus and intensity of the last 3 games, they'll be up 2-0 going to Dallas.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 11:10 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Superbone wrote:
As WW pointed out, we had success in last year's playoffs when assorted posters started the game day threads. We kind of started a tradition last year. But that's OK, if we lose, it's squarely on YOUR shoulders.
I'll never forgive myself for starting the Game 3 Finals thread.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I hope the Suns make a point of punishing Dallas inside. Ayton has been doing well. They could go to him more to start the game and force their hand.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 12:31 pm
I hope the Suns make a point of punishing Dallas inside. Ayton has been doing well. They could go to him more to start the game and force their hand.
Let's hope the Suns don't use their patented, "Feed Ayton for the first half, he roasts the other team, then the Suns completely ignore him for the entire second half" offense.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 1:18 pm
Nodack wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 12:31 pm
Let's hope the Suns don't use their patented, "Feed Ayton for the first half, he roasts the other team, then the Suns completely ignore him for the entire second half" offense.
In so many of those games, the other team adjusts at half-time to bringing other guys closer to the paint, or fronting Ayton, or just not letting him run back after they hit a shot ahead of their center. He also has a tendency to stop working hard down low in the 3rd quarter to get position.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 11:27 am
Superbone wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 11:10 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Superbone wrote:
LOL. I don't know if anybody else remembered that but you. :) But I will now! :twisted:
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 1:37 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 11:27 am
LOL. I don't know if anybody else remembered that but you. :) But I will now! :twisted:
We haven't won a single title since Flagrant created that thread. It's all his fault...

Indy

Post by Indy »

You joke, but...

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

I took the hit with the last game day thread I started. It was the Golden State game that ended the streak.

JJ Slim

Post by JJ Slim »

I missed all of game 1 except for the last 2 minutes because I was working. I haven't had a chance to go back and watch the whole thing but I saw the highlights and liked what I saw. I'm sure there were things that could be improved upon. The biggest thing for this game is to act like this is the 1st game again in intensity and focus and not let themselves underestimate the Mavs. This can be a 4 and done if they treat each game like it's an elimination game.