NBA Playoffs WCSF, Game 5: Dallas Mavericks @ Phoenix Suns (2-2), Tues 5/10/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
bajanguy008

Re: NBA Playoffs WCSF, Game 5: Dallas Mavericks @ Phoenix Suns (2-2), Tues 5/10/22

Post by bajanguy008 »

:lol: :lol:

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Mori Chu

Re: NBA Playoffs WCSF, Game 5: Dallas Mavericks @ Phoenix Suns (2-2), Tues 5/10/22

Post by Mori Chu »

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew. Great win by the fellas. I loved the adjustments CotY Monty made tonight, most notably playing Shamet more (!!!) and Payne less, and playing Biyombo over McGee. Those were both huge changes for us.

Payne was hurting us really badly so far this postseason; his minutes were a disaster. I like the guy a lot but at this point it's beyond a rough patch or slump or whatever you'd call it. He just isn't right. Shamet, as much as I've hated on the guy, he really seemed to blossom when given some ballhandling duties. Maybe having his hands on the ball more made his shot warmer or something. One thing I have always appreciated about Shamet is how he will attack the basket and try to dunk it with two hands. Great way to get a basket when your shot isn't falling.

Biyombo was awesome; he had 7 points and 6 boards, but his impact was far beyond those stats. He just made the right play defensively and never hurt us out there. Bravo. Also loved what I saw from Cam Johnson who snuck in 14 points in 25 minutes.

I also thought we did a much better overall job guarding the 3-point line. We gave up a few open ones, but not nearly as many as our awful perimeter D from Game 4. Dunno if Coach emphasized that more or if it was just effort or what, but good on them.

If I'm looking for anything to be concerned about, I'd say that Chris Paul has had several mediocre games in a row. Don't need him to carry us, but he has been very quiet offensively. Also Crowder has had several poor shooting nights, including just 3 points total tonight. That's 2 of our 5 starters who didn't give us very much, which makes us more dependent on guys like Bridges and Ayton who are a bit inconsistent on offense.

Luka had 28 and Brunson had 21, but I can live with that. Against Dallas I'm always looking at the other guys' stats, especially 3s. Tonight, Bullock was 0-3, Doncic 2-8, Brunson 0-1, Kleber 1-4, Dinwiddie 0-2, and so on. Bertans cooked us a bit with 3-4 shooting on 3s, but generally they weren't falling. Live by the 3, die by the 3.

Oh, and ugh, the crowd was chanting "Suns in 6" at the end. Knock it off, guys, show a little class. That's all I got.

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

Now that's more like it. Let's see that carry over to game 6.

I want to see the Suns come in with a "send 'em home" mentality Thursday.
Phoenix Suns 2023-24NBA Champions !

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 10:53 pm
Shamet, as much as I've hated on the guy, he really seemed to blossom when given some ballhandling duties. Maybe having his hands on the ball more made his shot warmer or something. One thing I have always appreciated about Shamet is how he will attack the basket and try to dunk it with two hands. Great way to get a basket when your shot isn't falling.
I've had a theory on Landry going back to when he started for Booker during the regular season. He doesn't play well with an undetermined minutes load, but when he knows he'll play "X" amount of minutes and clearly expected to perform specific duties in his role, he's fine and sometimes brings a huge burst of energy to the game. I think the latter is what we saw tonight. Monty told probably told him that he's going to take Payne's minutes as the 3rd guard and he came into the game ready to make an impact.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:23 pm
And Ayton couldn't score 40. I know this because his career high is 35.
Lol. Is that supposed to be a joke or something?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 11:29 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:23 pm
And Ayton couldn't score 40. I know this because his career high is 35.
Lol. Is that supposed to be a joke or something?
No more than his request for a 5-year max contract.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Oh ho....
Wonder if he said so under his breath or Book heard, was looking at him when he said it

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Oh ho....
Part II

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Good win, definitely felt like we got back on track towards halftime and that carried over to the 2nd half. More action from DA and Mikal, great minutes from Biz, Shamet and Cam. Still don't think we're taking advantage of Kleber and Bertans being out there on the defensive end but not sure we have anyone who can really go at them.

The defense was better but I also think their guys just missed shots they were hitting in previous games. Bullock and Kleber 1-10 combined, DFS was a non-factor and Bertans only hit a few. Maybe it was fatigue as the Mavs looked flat in the 2nd half or they just came back down to earth. There were a few possessions we were able to run their guys off the line. Luka still got his and Brunson was working CP in the post a bit too much for my liking.

Shamet stepped up nicely with the extra minutes. I like him attacking and getting into the midrange/paint instead of just catching and shooting. Same with CamJ, who was attacking more off the dribble. We need those guys getting downhill and not settling for jumpers.

CP still looks off. Not playing with a lot of burst and rarely looking for his shot. Don't know if he's injured or tired or both but he's gotta get right.

Hope we can close them out in Dallas.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Indy wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 9:38 pm
I love this man. Watch until the end.

That's what it takes to get a review and a call. Glad he was having fun with it. He probably learned his lesson last game when he got hit in the head and there was no review. Gotta lay on the ground for 20 seconds for the refs to notice.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Honestly, those two fouls weren't really close in severity. DFS got him with body contact while Booker was in the air and there was a wind up on his swipe at the ball.

Kleber was reaching from behind and the only contact was on the top of Booker's head. A flagrant foul on that would've been unjust as much as I would've appreciated two free throws and possession.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nice video showing some good defense on Luka from Shamet. The tweet author is right that this is much better D than Payne typically plays:

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shamet just has more size than Payne. Payne is active and fights on defense, but at some point guys are just too big. Luka just overpowered him…it was funny to me in game 4 when Luka bullied Payne and then seemed to be flexing on him…like no one’s impressed by that. Though I’d be fine if Ayton started bullying these little guys and flexing on them haha

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 7:02 am
Shamet just has more size than Payne. Payne is active and fights on defense, but at some point guys are just too big. Luka just overpowered him…it was funny to me in game 4 when Luka bullied Payne and then seemed to be flexing on him…like no one’s impressed by that. Though I’d be fine if Ayton started bullying these little guys and flexing on them haha
lol

Indy

Post by Indy »

The size is a huge difference: Shamet looks to be fighting to make plays, and Payne looks to be fighting to not get knocked over (until it is time to try and draw a charge).

Split T

Post by Split T »

Cam Payne did lead all pg in plus/minus at +11

And yes I’m joking about that, he only played the final 3 minutes and honestly didn’t really do much. Shows the flaws of plus/minus.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 7:06 am
Cam Payne did lead all pg in plus/minus at +11

And yes I’m joking about that, he only played the final 3 minutes and honestly didn’t really do much. Shows the flaws of plus/minus.
It seems like it should be limited by the score/circumstance. If you are down 20 with 5 minutes left, I don't care about it. Or if you only play 6 minutes, I don't care about it unless it wasn't the end of the game and the score was close.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

I'm thankful Monty pulled the plug on cam. Im not sure if it's a confidence thing with him or he got paid and he doesn't have to play like he used to but he was hurting us out there.