NBA Playoffs WCSF, Game 7: Dallas Mavericks @ Phoenix Suns (3-3), Sunday 15/05/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: NBA Playoffs WCSF, Game 7: Dallas Mavericks @ Phoenix Suns (3-3), Sunday 15/05/22

Post by Split T »

Can we please not compare Ayton to Shaq…they are about as different as possible

Wally_West

Re: NBA Playoffs WCSF, Game 7: Dallas Mavericks @ Phoenix Suns (3-3), Sunday 15/05/22

Post by Wally_West »

Where’s this talk of Paul and Monty having a falling out coming from??

TOO

Post by TOO »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 2:18 pm
TOO wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 7:47 am
My guess is, Paul was hurt and I think everyone was just tired of seeing Sheandre getting out played and out hustled by smaller/lesser players. There is no chance that Booker and Paul weren't sick and tired of Ayton by the end of this season, how many times can you pass the dude the ball in a position to dunk only for him to go up soft an blow a layup or watch him be so out of position for a rebound even though he's the biggest dude on the court? He's always felt like the epitome of empty stats.
Lol, where were you last year when he led the team to the Finals with his "empty stats"?
The Finals where he had a 6 point and like a 12 pt game? Imagine thinking Ayton LED them anywhere, not Booker or Paul. That's crazy.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

TOO wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 5:01 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 2:18 pm
TOO wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 7:47 am
My guess is, Paul was hurt and I think everyone was just tired of seeing Sheandre getting out played and out hustled by smaller/lesser players. There is no chance that Booker and Paul weren't sick and tired of Ayton by the end of this season, how many times can you pass the dude the ball in a position to dunk only for him to go up soft an blow a layup or watch him be so out of position for a rebound even though he's the biggest dude on the court? He's always felt like the epitome of empty stats.
Lol, where were you last year when he led the team to the Finals with his "empty stats"?
The Finals where he had a 6 point and like a 12 pt game? Imagine thinking Ayton LED them anywhere, not Booker or Paul. That's crazy.
Paul said he was their MVP last postseason.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 12:39 pm
Ya that makes more sense…what’s the point of accounts that make crap up? I guess they get a kick out of people falling for their crap…almost feel like it should be at least against the rules of these social media apps…Of course this instance doesn’t really matter, but there’s a lot of other subject matters where making stuff up is actually dangerous.
Sheesh, I didn’t know. Sorry about that. But yeah, this conversation belongs in the Politics section. This is a horrible problem in America and the world.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 8:15 pm
Split T wrote:
Ya that makes more sense…what’s the point of accounts that make crap up? I guess they get a kick out of people falling for their crap…almost feel like it should be at least against the rules of these social media apps…Of course this instance doesn’t really matter, but there’s a lot of other subject matters where making stuff up is actually dangerous.
Sheesh, I didn’t know. Sorry about that. But yeah, this conversation belongs in the Politics section. This is a horrible problem in America and the world.
Wasn’t calling you out for it, just the people who create stuff…but ya I did not want to bring up anything specific beyond basketball about it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 2:22 pm
Indy wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 11:43 am
JeremyG wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 9:41 am
Drewsprocket wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 8:38 pm
Ayton is a very good player. The team culture shaped him into a much more focused player for him to grow. But he still needs a lot. Maturity wise, I would trust Monty and JJ’s assessment of him. It’s very likely that he will never hold as much trade value as now. I still am holding onto him preventing the suns from making the playoffs for his + UA, how he can disappear in games, and thinks his lack of impacting games in other ways entitles him to more touches.
You all need to listen to Shaq more. He says that if he wasn’t getting the ball, there’s no way he was giving effort on defense. When Ayton gets involved in the scoring early, that’s when he’s at his best at being engaged in all aspects of the game. It’s just natural, especially for a big man. Even when they stop going to Ayton after the first quarter, he usually stays impactful the whole game when they go to him early.
He gets plenty of touches. A ton of them. And every single DHO includes an option for him to turn and drive the ball to the hoop or even stop short and take a jumper in the lane. He does this like 3 times a season. He controls this way more than you seem to think.
Shaq also scored 3 times a season driving the ball to the hoop after receiving the ball at the three-point line.
You trying to compare Ayton to Shaq only make Ayton look worse.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 9:59 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 8:15 pm
Split T wrote:
Wasn’t calling you out for it, just the people who create stuff…but ya I did not want to bring up anything specific beyond basketball about it.
I know you weren’t. I was just commenting on the fact that I learned it was fake and that’s a problem with social media.
"Be Legendary."

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

I'm also wondering if the quad injury was legit, and maybe Monty approached CP3 saying to take a back seat due to the injury, which caused him to go back at Monty, causing this "falling out." Wasn't there a story last year where Monty wanted to sit CP3 when he had the shoulder injury and Paul basically was like yea not happening? Then this spat is in front of the team, or became known by the team, and everyone is downtrodden and it lead to the abomination known as game 7.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Ayton was the only starter who really showed up for game 6, none of them showed up in game 7.

The team just gave up despite winning game 5 by 30 points at home.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

BigLewy wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 7:19 pm
I'm also wondering if the quad injury was legit, and maybe Monty approached CP3 saying to take a back seat due to the injury, which caused him to go back at Monty, causing this "falling out." Wasn't there a story last year where Monty wanted to sit CP3 when he had the shoulder injury and Paul basically was like yea not happening? Then this spat is in front of the team, or became known by the team, and everyone is downtrodden and it lead to the abomination known as game 7.
How could it not? Clear as day that something bad happened.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I just listened to the Mikal interview on the JJ pod…My interpretation of what Mikal said is basically that the suns never really took the Mavs seriously. He said they all thought they’d win game 6 after going up 3-2 in game 5.

Back to my thoughts, but it seems like game 7 was the first time they felt pressure and that’s a big problem. Dallas was playing under pressure for at least 4 games by that point. We were playing too casual and we choked when we finally felt that pressure. Seems like we got a little too confident in our abilities and forgot what got us there in the first place.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:04 am
I just listened to the Mikal interview on the JJ pod…My interpretation of what Mikal said is basically that the suns never really took the Mavs seriously. He said they all thought they’d win game 6 after going up 3-2 in game 5.

Back to my thoughts, but it seems like game 7 was the first time they felt pressure and that’s a big problem. Dallas was playing under pressure for at least 4 games by that point. We were playing too casual and we choked when we finally felt that pressure. Seems like we got a little too confident in our abilities and forgot what got us there in the first place.
It seemed like that happened near the end of the regular season. They were never the same. They got complacent. Thought they were better than they were.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think they just checked out of the regular season…clinched the 1 seed and just coasted. Which isn’t the worst thing, but they never figured out how to turn it back on.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:39 am
I think they just checked out of the regular season…clinched the 1 seed and just coasted. Which isn’t the worst thing, but they never figured out how to turn it back on.
Sounds about right.
"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

And being able to just turn it on against New Orleans probably reinforced that view. Unfortunately Dallas turned out to be tougher than New Orleans.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Thanks guys. You're helping it all start to make a little sense. I think it was just a perfect storm of all of this that led to the colossal failure in game 7. We were tighter than a bullfrog's ass. Or Kirstie Alley in a pair of spandex.
"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:02 pm
Thanks guys. You're helping it all start to make a little sense. I think it was just a perfect storm of all of this that led to the colossal failure in game 7. We were tighter than a bullfrog's ass. Or Kirstie Alley in a pair of spandex.
"So tight you couldn't stick a needle up their ass."

Indy

Post by Indy »

There is also the unverified rumor going around that several players had covid (and maybe not just on our side). But didn't want to test because that would mean going into protocols and missing the rest of the series and the start of the WCF.