NBA Playoffs WCSF, Game 7: Dallas Mavericks @ Phoenix Suns (3-3), Sunday 15/05/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: NBA Playoffs WCSF, Game 7: Dallas Mavericks @ Phoenix Suns (3-3), Sunday 15/05/22

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 9:41 am
Drewsprocket wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 8:38 pm
Ayton is a very good player. The team culture shaped him into a much more focused player for him to grow. But he still needs a lot. Maturity wise, I would trust Monty and JJ’s assessment of him. It’s very likely that he will never hold as much trade value as now. I still am holding onto him preventing the suns from making the playoffs for his + UA, how he can disappear in games, and thinks his lack of impacting games in other ways entitles him to more touches.
You all need to listen to Shaq more. He says that if he wasn’t getting the ball, there’s no way he was giving effort on defense. When Ayton gets involved in the scoring early, that’s when he’s at his best at being engaged in all aspects of the game. It’s just natural, especially for a big man. Even when they stop going to Ayton after the first quarter, he usually stays impactful the whole game when they go to him early.
He gets plenty of touches. A ton of them. And every single DHO includes an option for him to turn and drive the ball to the hoop or even stop short and take a jumper in the lane. He does this like 3 times a season. He controls this way more than you seem to think.

Flagrant Fowl

Re: NBA Playoffs WCSF, Game 7: Dallas Mavericks @ Phoenix Suns (3-3), Sunday 15/05/22

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Yes, the "doesn't get enough touches" argument is the worst for the pay-Ayton camp because he touches the ball with an opportunity to make a play plenty of times. He usually doesn't even consider making a move to score or threaten the defense like a "max player" should.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

BigLewy wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 6:56 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 3:22 am
Is anyone else a bit surprised we haven't heard more about what the fuck happened in Game 7 from the team? How long is it going to take? It's been almost a week. Maybe that's a benefit of playing in Phoenix? :lol:

Will one of these guys have to change teams for them to talk about it?
There was this little nugget buried in an article from Bickley. Interesting, and I can see there being some truth to it and it taking the wind out of the team's sails.

https://arizonasports.com/story/3147051 ... -collapse/

Especially when a team with elite chemistry and depth had very little of either at the bitter end, a team where a genteel servant-leader, Monty Williams, engaged in a very public display of mutual dissatisfaction with Deandre Ayton, and according to multiple sources, had something of a fallout with veteran leader Chris Paul.
And there it is. They snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Self implosion. Not good at all. I feel lots of changes coming now. It was a good run.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Nodack wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 5:53 pm
BigLewy wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 6:56 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 3:22 am
Is anyone else a bit surprised we haven't heard more about what the fuck happened in Game 7 from the team? How long is it going to take? It's been almost a week. Maybe that's a benefit of playing in Phoenix? :lol:

Will one of these guys have to change teams for them to talk about it?
There was this little nugget buried in an article from Bickley. Interesting, and I can see there being some truth to it and it taking the wind out of the team's sails.

https://arizonasports.com/story/3147051 ... -collapse/

Especially when a team with elite chemistry and depth had very little of either at the bitter end, a team where a genteel servant-leader, Monty Williams, engaged in a very public display of mutual dissatisfaction with Deandre Ayton, and according to multiple sources, had something of a fallout with veteran leader Chris Paul.
And there it is. They snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Self implosion. Not good at all. I feel lots of changes coming now. It was a good run.
Still all speculation, IMO.

Sure, Paul was likely injured, but that doesn't explain the complete collapse in competitive spirit, and that's the part I'm waiting to hear about.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't think any big bombshell is going to come out about Game 7. The explanation seems to be, Chris Paul was injured and couldn't lead us; Booker tried to carry the load, but the Mavs collapsed on him with double teams and traps; and the other guys locked up without their guards to lead them, being generally a young crew and having never actually played in a Game 7 before. An injury, a defensive shutdown, and a choke job. That was our Game 7.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'm not buying it. A team that won 70 games shouldn't just check out like that in Game 7.

TOO

Post by TOO »

My guess is, Paul was hurt and I think everyone was just tired of seeing Sheandre getting out played and out hustled by smaller/lesser players. There is no chance that Booker and Paul weren't sick and tired of Ayton by the end of this season, how many times can you pass the dude the ball in a position to dunk only for him to go up soft an blow a layup or watch him be so out of position for a rebound even though he's the biggest dude on the court? He's always felt like the epitome of empty stats.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 3:39 am
I'm not buying it. A team that won 70 games shouldn't just check out like that in Game 7.
But we all witnessed it!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Luka, Luka, Luka! <\Marsha, Marsha Marsha!>

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Apparently this was on Facebook. This could explain the collapse.

"Be Legendary."

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Interesting, could explain why they just quit. But the injuries would be just a bit too convenient, wouldn't they.

Split T

Post by Split T »

May be true, but I don’t really like Payne saying that..none of those guys ever showed up on the injury report so it comes across as convenient news after the fact.

Nothing about Booker or Ayton’s play made me think they were hurt. Same with Payne. CP3 clearly had something going on, but credit to him he hasn’t used it as an excuse.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 11:35 am
May be true, but I don’t really like Payne saying that..none of those guys ever showed up on the injury report so it comes across as convenient news after the fact.

Nothing about Booker or Ayton’s play made me think they were hurt. Same with Payne. CP3 clearly had something going on, but credit to him he hasn’t used it as an excuse.
To the rest of the guys credit, they didn't make any excuses if true. But it would explain the sudden collapse and losing 4 out of the last 5 after barely making it out of the Pelicans series.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya true…it’s just a lose lose to be honest.. They don’t say anything and everyone, including us, just have to assume they absolutely collapsed. They say something and it just comes across ad making excuses.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Superbone wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 11:16 am
Apparently this was on Facebook. This could explain the collapse.

I believe this is a fake quote made by HaterMuse on Twitter

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya that makes more sense…what’s the point of accounts that make crap up? I guess they get a kick out of people falling for their crap…almost feel like it should be at least against the rules of these social media apps…Of course this instance doesn’t really matter, but there’s a lot of other subject matters where making stuff up is actually dangerous.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

TOO wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 7:47 am
My guess is, Paul was hurt and I think everyone was just tired of seeing Sheandre getting out played and out hustled by smaller/lesser players. There is no chance that Booker and Paul weren't sick and tired of Ayton by the end of this season, how many times can you pass the dude the ball in a position to dunk only for him to go up soft an blow a layup or watch him be so out of position for a rebound even though he's the biggest dude on the court? He's always felt like the epitome of empty stats.
Lol, where were you last year when he led the team to the Finals with his "empty stats"?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Remember how Monty said before game 7 that the Suns' practice was "intense"? That would make sense if Bickley is right that there was a falling out between Monty and Chris Paul.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 11:43 am
JeremyG wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 9:41 am
Drewsprocket wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 8:38 pm
Ayton is a very good player. The team culture shaped him into a much more focused player for him to grow. But he still needs a lot. Maturity wise, I would trust Monty and JJ’s assessment of him. It’s very likely that he will never hold as much trade value as now. I still am holding onto him preventing the suns from making the playoffs for his + UA, how he can disappear in games, and thinks his lack of impacting games in other ways entitles him to more touches.
You all need to listen to Shaq more. He says that if he wasn’t getting the ball, there’s no way he was giving effort on defense. When Ayton gets involved in the scoring early, that’s when he’s at his best at being engaged in all aspects of the game. It’s just natural, especially for a big man. Even when they stop going to Ayton after the first quarter, he usually stays impactful the whole game when they go to him early.
He gets plenty of touches. A ton of them. And every single DHO includes an option for him to turn and drive the ball to the hoop or even stop short and take a jumper in the lane. He does this like 3 times a season. He controls this way more than you seem to think.
Shaq also scored 3 times a season driving the ball to the hoop after receiving the ball at the three-point line.