Suns 2022 Off-Season Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
virtual9mm

Re: Suns Off-Season Thread

Post by virtual9mm »

Wormwood wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:19 am
https://twitter.com/FlexFromJersey

Flex reporting that Charlotte and Indiana are looking to get out from underneath long term contracts, and that Phoenix is looking to move some players with expirings (Shamet, Payne) who underperformed. Looking at the rosters of Charlotte and Indiana, that would seem to suggest that Terry Rozier and Malcom Brogdon are both on the chopping block. Either would make sense for a Suns team thoroughly dissatisfied with the bench play of the backcourt.
Well, at least it looks like CP3 wants Rozier or Brogdon rather than moving Ayton. Sensible.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

virtual9mm wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:10 am
Wormwood wrote:

Flex reporting that Charlotte and Indiana are looking to get out from underneath long term contracts, and that Phoenix is looking to move some players with expirings (Shamet, Payne) who underperformed. Looking at the rosters of Charlotte and Indiana, that would seem to suggest that Terry Rozier and Malcom Brogdon are both on the chopping block. Either would make sense for a Suns team thoroughly dissatisfied with the bench play of the backcourt.
Well, at least it looks like CP3 wants Rozier or Brogdon rather than moving Ayton. Sensible.
I'm not sure that's the take away.

I think it's more likely that Ayton is moved for assets, which are intended to be flipped for a bigger name star. My personal belief is that the front office has it's eye on Durant. Players like Saric, Crowder, and Cam Johnson are likely to be part of the salary going out in that sort of deal, with the intent being to fill the rest of the roster with vet min deals, 2-ways, and one or two players signed using the mid-level exception.

I also think Rozier is more likely, because you need Torrey Craig to be part of the deal to make the math work for either player, and Indiana probably doesn't want him back.

I think the goal of the front office is to build around:

CP3
Booker
Rozier/Brogdon
Bridges
Johnson (maybe)
Durant
Vet min / Mid-Level at center 2x (Saric maybe)

Backcourt rotation of CP3, Book, Brogdon/Rozier

Frontcourt rotation of Bridges, Johnson (maybe), & Durant

Center rotation of a mid-level guy, Saric (maybe), and a vet min guy (Kaminsky?)

Emphasis will be greater floor spacing with Ayton gone. 5 guys who can hit the three.

Indy

Post by Indy »

virtual9mm wrote:
Wormwood wrote:

I only believe about 3% of what Flex says, but even if this is 100% true I don't read it that way. We all know we need a better backup in the back court. And it would be ideal to find one that could start for us since CP3 is old and only has next year as a fully guaranteed deal. I think that is a completely independent move from Ayton. Like you have to do something about ball handling and running the team without CP3 regardless of Ayton.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:23 pm
virtual9mm wrote:
Wormwood wrote:

I only believe about 3% of what Flex says, but even if this is 100% true I don't read it that way. We all know we need a better backup in the back court. And it would be ideal to find one that could start for us since CP3 is old and only has next year as a fully guaranteed deal. I think that is a completely independent move from Ayton. Like you have to do something about ball handling and running the team without CP3 regardless of Ayton.
" I think that is a completely independent move from Ayton. Like you have to do something about ball handling and running the team without CP3 regardless of Ayton."

I agree with this part. I think that if the Suns are thinking of doing something with Indiana or Charlotte , the Suns are likely considering it separately of Ayton.

I do think Flex has a line on what the Suns are thinking about doing. When it doesn't happen, it's usually because they couldn't pull it off or went a different direction. It's like my wife posting about what I'm going to have for dinner: at the moment she may (rightly) think that I'm going to get Taco Bell because I mentioned that Taco Bell sounds good, but ultimately I get McDonald's.

This is the way I treat Flex: he's telling us kind of what the team is thinking about doing at the moment, or what it kind of wants right now, but ultimately it may not turn out that way.

As for Durant, or any other superstar: they usually have a lot of power in deciding if they get traded, and to where. Remember how CP3 wanted to go to Phoenix, and that's exactly what he got? I think if someone like Durant wants to come to Phoenix, he's going to get his way. I think Flex is telling the truth that Phoenix thinks it's possible to land a superstar as a replacement to Ayton, and Durant seems to best fit the description of "superstar" and "guy who's expressed admiration for Booker and Monty".

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Still can't get over how bad Payne was in the playoffs.

Split T

Post by Split T »

If Flex has a source, it’s not with the team. So I wouldn’t say it’s what the suns are thinking. If anything his source is player related, specifically with CAA represented players.

Take for example when he went off during the draft about a player dropping that wasn’t supposed to be available and the suns would have an opportunity to draft him. Almost positive that was CAA represented Tyrese Haliburton who dropped and the suns still didn’t take him.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:30 am
specialsauce wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:36 pm
Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:08 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:20 pm
Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:03 pm

Exactly. I mean who is a better center, Looney or Ayton? Bjelica or Ayton? Ayton or 36 year old Horford? Ayton's physical abilities dwarf them all, but I don't see either team being better with him starting for them.
Lmao.

Your boncic is getting in the way again
It is so funny to me that you normally bitch incessantly about guys avoiding contact, but you seem to embrace it with Ayton. Like you are 100% hot or 100% cold.
Yes he avoids contact like a little bitch, but you’re hilarious saying he wouldn’t improve the warriors by replacing KEVON LOONEY or bjelica!!!! Horford!!!! Lolololol

Have you told your physician about your Boncic?
You think the Warriors would be playing better if they had Ayton on their roster? They play extended minutes with Draymond at the 5, running their offense from that position. And Horford has been fantastic this post-season.
Are you saying that having a big man was important for the Celtics getting to the Finals?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

TOO

Post by TOO »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:04 pm
Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

Lmao.

It is so funny to me that you normally bitch incessantly about guys avoiding contact, but you seem to embrace it with Ayton. Like you are 100% hot or 100% cold.
Yes he avoids contact like a little bitch, but you’re hilarious saying he wouldn’t improve the warriors by replacing KEVON LOONEY or bjelica!!!! Horford!!!! Lolololol

You think the Warriors would be playing better if they had Ayton on their roster? They play extended minutes with Draymond at the 5, running their offense from that position. And Horford has been fantastic this post-season.
Are you saying that having a big man was important for the Celtics getting to the Finals?
Yep, especially one that is fine being the 3rd/4th wheel and a solid perimeter threat.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ding ding ding

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:03 pm

Exactly. I mean who is a better center, Looney or Ayton? Bjelica or Ayton? Ayton or 36 year old Horford? Ayton's physical abilities dwarf them all, but I don't see either team being better with him starting for them.
Lmao.

Dude. You said you don’t see either team being better with Ayton instead of Looney, Bjelica, or Horford. It’s just pure hate at this point.

Also.

Last edited by specialsauce on Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

sunset rubdown

Post by sunset rubdown »

Wormwood wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:17 am
virtual9mm wrote:
Wormwood wrote:

I think it's more likely that Ayton is moved for assets, which are intended to be flipped for a bigger name star. My personal belief is that the front office has it's eye on Durant. Players like Saric, Crowder, and Cam Johnson are likely to be part of the salary going out in that sort of deal, with the intent being to fill the rest of the roster with vet min deals, 2-ways, and one or two players signed using the mid-level exception.

I also think Rozier is more likely, because you need Torrey Craig to be part of the deal to make the math work for either player, and Indiana probably doesn't want him back.

CP3
Booker
Rozier/Brogdon
Bridges
Johnson (maybe)
Durant

Center rotation of a mid-level guy, Saric (maybe), and a vet min guy (Kaminsky?)

Emphasis will be greater floor spacing with Ayton gone. 5 guys who can hit the three.
Who would rebound the ball in that lineup? McGee and Biyombo are nice but for 15 minutes a game. Good luck with them as starters collecting personal fouls. We would get killed on boards on a regular basis without Ayton.

DA is not perfect but, man, I almost feel bad by our fans (and possibly coach and FO) calling for Ayton to be traded for pennies on the dollar. That`s the top 5 C in the NBA, premium rebounder, good defender with expanding offence. It would be such a shame if we lose a player that talented. Without him we wouldn`t have a young core.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

sunset rubdown wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:50 am
Wormwood wrote:
virtual9mm wrote:
Wormwood wrote:

CP3
Booker
Rozier/Brogdon
Bridges
Johnson (maybe)
Durant

Who would rebound the ball in that lineup? McGee and Biyombo are nice but for 15 minutes a game. Good luck with them as starters collecting personal fouls. We would get killed on boards on a regular basis without Ayton.

DA is not perfect but, man, I almost feel bad by our fans (and possibly coach and FO) calling for Ayton to be traded for pennies on the dollar. That`s the top 5 C in the NBA, premium rebounder, good defender with expanding offence. It would be such a shame if we lose a player that talented. Without him we wouldn`t have a young core.
A 'top 5' center...that ranked 100th in the league! on free throw attempts...100th!!!???

sunset rubdown

Post by sunset rubdown »

I didn`t know free throw attempts are the most important attribute for a center position.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Rebounding is not hard to find…if you can get Durant, you get Durant and figure out the rebounding later.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

sunset rubdown wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:11 am
I didn`t know free throw attempts are the most important attribute for a center position.
Really? This isn't checkers...you need a power game from your front court SOMEWHERE for crying out loud...he ranked 100! Not 50...100!

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:07 am
sunset rubdown wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:11 am
Really? This isn't checkers...you need a power game from your front court SOMEWHERE for crying out loud...he ranked 100! Not 50...100!
Yeah, let’s get it from Frank Kaminsky. Lmao.

Or even better, “Mr. Draft Pick.” How many career FTAs does “Mr. Draft Pick” have?

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:43 am

Dude. You said you don’t see either team being better with Ayton instead of Looney, Bjelica, or Horford. It’s just pure hate at this point.

Also.

On our team DA gets the 2nd most shots of anyone (yes more than CP3).

On the Warriors, Ayton would easily be their 4th to 5th option. You think that makes them better with DA getting 7-8 shots a night when he was getting 12 here? There is no way they would be paying him as much as Klay to take 8 shots a game. And if you say he should be taking more shots (like he says he should) that means Steph, Klay and Poole all take less. That is not a way to win.

And the one guy of their top 4 he is better at scoring is Draymond, who is their best playmaker and their connector. DA couldn't do any of that.

For the Celtics, Horford is their 4th option and I don't see that changing if you replace him with DA. I don't see DA cracking their big 3 (despite how inefficient Smart can be).

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

sunset rubdown wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:50 am
Wormwood wrote:
virtual9mm wrote:
Wormwood wrote:

CP3
Booker
Rozier/Brogdon
Bridges
Johnson (maybe)
Durant

Top 5 yes. But as a max player he’s questionable as it makes us unlikely to win a championship with him maxxed out. Ayton’s personality and reliability makes it a poor choice for a team to max him.
Suns with CP3 + Book + Ayton < CP3 + Book + better scorer/ Clutch star.
I can get behind any suns team. Including one with a maxxed Ayton. But if you do that, you better make sure CP3 is upgraded for a younger PG who unlocks Ayton and keeps him engaged. Even then, I have my doubts. My spidey senses tells me Ayton is likely too immature as a star to be the sort of guy as a number 1 or 2 who will win you a title. Too many red flags:
-his Dwight Howardness that his teammates tolerate.
-softness
-incongruence between what he says and does. Doesn’t have the skill to back up what he wants.
-shifting focus.
-he clearly doesn’t enjoy what he is most skilled at doing. Dude could be a Giannis stopper if he had the diligence to improve, if he had better handles and aggression he’d get more shots.