Suns 2022 Off-Season Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Suns Off-Season Thread

Post by Split T »

Ayton's most realistic landing spots outside of Phoenix appear to be Atlanta, Detroit and Toronto, which all would present intriguing sign-and-trade opportunities for the Suns. League personnel have also whispered in recent days about a potential sign-and-trade of Ayton to Indiana for Myles Turner. Turner and Ayton share the same representation.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

They suggest Vucevic and Coby White for Ayton. I don’t think that does it for me. Vuc had a down year and he’s 32. Coby White is kind of interesting I guess, but I’d need either a better now player or a more valuable prospect.

It’s also tricky to do contract wise(unless LaVine leaves, then Chicago has cap space)

It’d have to be Ayton, Saric, and Craig for Vucevic, White, Bradley, Green, Dosunmu, and Simonovic. That’s assuming they don’t want to part with Patrick Williams, but that’s what it’d take for me.

I might consider Ayton, Saric, Craig for Vuc, White, Williams

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:12 am
They suggest Vucevic and Coby White for Ayton. I don’t think that does it for me. Vuc had a down year and he’s 32. Coby White is kind of interesting I guess, but I’d need either a better now player or a more valuable prospect.

It’s also tricky to do contract wise(unless LaVine leaves, then Chicago has cap space)

It’d have to be Ayton, Saric, and Craig for Vucevic, White, Bradley, Green, Dosunmu, and Simonovic. That’s assuming they don’t want to part with Patrick Williams, but that’s what it’d take for me.

Vucevic + Williams. I’d love to see JJ take a swipe at a team fleece them for Ayton. It’s not like Ayton and Williams would compliment one another.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Not touching anything from the Bulls that doesn't involve Williams.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:23 am
Split T wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:12 am

Vucevic + Williams. I’d love to see JJ take a swipe at a team fleece them for Ayton. It’s not like Ayton and Williams would compliment one another.
These Chicago trades make me want to Ralph. They'd better com with great draft picks, because the entire pu-pu platter had better be going out for a star. White & Williams are awful, and Vucevic if a 7 foot tall parking cone on defense. And old parking cone. Nope.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’m not sure how you can call Williams awful

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I agree that Vucevic is way too old to be our Ayton replacement.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:09 pm
I agree that Vucevic is way too old to be our Ayton replacement.
Yep, it only works if you can then package the others plus contracts to add like Jerami Grant.

I still don’t really like that though

Paul/Booker/Bridges/Grant/Vucevic is a good team, but it’s like a 1 time shot and you’re counting on a bounce back from Vucevic. Then you’d have to sign grant, Vucevic, and Cam J next summer. It’d be an all in move, but not one that gives us a good enough shot.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Split T wrote:

Well, other than being undersized, bad at passing the ball, terrible at rebounding, and ranking 78th out of 82 power forwards in real plus minus, and 509th out of 557 players in win shares (he produced -.15), he's great. Very few players hurt their teams more than he did. To put it in perspective, the guy who was 510th was Abdel Nader.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Wormwood wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:43 pm
Split T wrote:

Well, other than being undersized, bad at passing the ball, terrible at rebounding, and ranking 78th out of 82 power forwards in real plus minus, and 509th out of 557 players in win shares (he produced -.15), he's great. Very few players hurt their teams more than he did. To put it in perspective, the guy who was 510th was Abdel Nader.
But according to this site, he has a 7.8 PIE!
https://www.nba.com/player/1630172/patrick-williams

No idea if that's good or bad but I love pie.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

Wormwood wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:43 pm
Split T wrote:

Seems weird to use a cumulative stat on a guy that played 17 total games. Of course he’s gonna end up at the bottom.

He’s also 20, a career 41% 3pt shooter and defends multiple positions.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Chicago seems like a long shot though. Still time for things to change, but with all I’ve seen and read, I’d put Ayton to Detroit for some package built around Jerami Grant as the most likely result.

What the other stuff is would make or break it for me. If it’s some combination of Isaiah Stewart, Killian Hayes, 2nd round picks, or a protected future 1st, I’d be pretty down on it. If it’s like Jaden Ivey or Keegan Murray, then I’d be cool with it.

I like Grant, but he can’t be the headline because I think we could get him without Ayton. Crowder, Craig and draft capital could get him I think.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

TOO wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:55 am
Not touching anything from the Bulls that doesn't involve Lavine
FTFY

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Funny how you all don't want to keep Ayton because he's not worth paying and yet you won't take an All-Star center for him.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:24 pm
Funny how you all don't want to keep Ayton because he's not worth paying and yet you won't take an All-Star center for him.
Maybe it’s because Centers are overrated. And Vucevic made 2 all-star games in 11 years and won’t make another one. He’s 32 and on the downslope. I think we’d all also gladly keep Ayton if he was willing to play at the 22 million Vucevic will make next year.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:31 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Maybe it’s because Centers are overrated. And Vucevic made 2 all-star games in 11 years and won’t make another one. He’s 32 and on the downslope. I think we’d all also gladly keep Ayton if he was willing to play at the 22 million Vucevic will make next year.
So it’s not okay to pay Ayton $30 million, but it is okay to pay him $22? He is worth the extra $8 million. To build this team around Chris Paul is a mistake at this point.

Split T

Post by Split T »

SunsRIt wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:59 pm
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
So it’s not okay to pay Ayton $30 million, but it is okay to pay him $22? He is worth the extra $8 million. To build this team around Chris Paul is a mistake at this point.
Ya, 8 million is a lot. By that logic we should have just paid Bridges the max.

And what other option do we have besides building around Paul? Are you suggesting we just focus on the future? Trade Paul? That’s probably not gonna fly with Booker at all. Sometimes I don’t think we consider all the mechanics at play when we as fans make suggestions.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Just max everyone. Duh.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:11 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:59 pm
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Ya, 8 million is a lot. By that logic we should have just paid Bridges the max.

And what other option do we have besides building around Paul? Are you suggesting we just focus on the future? Trade Paul? That’s probably not gonna fly with Booker at all. Sometimes I don’t think we consider all the mechanics at play when we as fans make suggestions.
Focusing on the future is not what trading Paul is about. Trading Paul is about not being stuck in the past. He’s going to be 38 years old when the next playoffs happen. Move on. He’s old AF.