Suns 2022 Off-Season Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Suns Off-Season Thread

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:51 am
Split T wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:40 am
Not gonna lie, that article doesn’t make me feel great about Jones long term. Seems like he works in our current win now state, but not someone I want at the helm for a rebuild.
I like a GM that says "If you aren't trying to win now, you are trying to lose." But you still need to plan to win tomorrow. If the Warriors said "I don't see Poole being able to play an explicit role on our team this season" before that draft, and decided not to take him, they probably wouldn't have won another championship this season.
Right, he was necessary after the McD era where we were just grabbing whatever asset we can, but it seems we’ve over corrected.

Lots of talk on Twitter about it, outside of the Cam pick, hard to see how we’ve succeeded in the draft. Traded a pick in the CP3 deal, traded one for Shamet, and drafted Jalen Smith. So 2 hits(if you count the cp3 trade) and 2 misses, one of them a colossal miss.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:52 am
Split T wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:49 am
Also I think it’s safe to say we aren’t trying to get into the top of this draft or trying to get young prospects in an Ayton S&T
Or it is all a smokescreen?
I hope so, timing does seem weird coming out right before the draft

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:
Not gonna lie, that article doesn’t make me feel great about Jones long term. Seems like he works in our current win now state, but not someone I want at the helm for a rebuild.
I agree. I never thought Jones was any sort of special talent anyway, but this further makes me dread the inevitable rebuild after he sells the future and we stink.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Indy

Post by Indy »

TOO wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:56 am
Split T wrote:
I agree. I never thought Jones was any sort of special talent anyway, but this further makes me dread the inevitable rebuild after he sells the future and we stink.
Lots of teams sell their future to win now. Let's just hope we achieve that. I will take the win now and the decade of crap if that is what it costs. I mean we just spent a decade of awfulness without winning anything...

TOO

Post by TOO »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:59 am
TOO wrote:
Split T wrote:
Lots of teams sell their future to win now. Let's just hope we achieve that. I will take the win now and the decade of crap if that is what it costs. I mean we just spent a decade of awfulness without winning anything...
Given his track record of selling for win now parts, I am not enthusiastic at the idea of doing so with him in charge.

Split T

Post by Split T »

True as long as we actually win a title I’ll be fine with whatever aftermath occurs

Split T

Post by Split T »

I would like Batum

Indy

Post by Indy »

TOO wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:10 am
Indy wrote:
TOO wrote:
Split T wrote:
Given his track record of selling for win now parts, I am not enthusiastic at the idea of doing so with him in charge.
His biggest bet was getting Chris Paul. That took us from missing the playoffs to winning the first two games of the NBA Finals.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Not sure why Batum would leave the clips for us. To me, the clips are the absolute favorite to win it next year with Kawhi and PG coming back.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:55 am
Indy wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:52 am
Split T wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:49 am
Also I think it’s safe to say we aren’t trying to get into the top of this draft or trying to get young prospects in an Ayton S&T
Or it is all a smokescreen?
I hope so, timing does seem weird coming out right before the draft
Especially from a guy that NEVER talks.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Knicks strike me as a team to always swing and miss on Win Now models. It all comes down to your decisions whether signing and trading or building through the draft. I’d love to see Monty use more Coach Pop’s player development model. His teams always seemed to be resilient to injuries and maintaining a high level of play no matter who was available.
Book was the most NBA ready player given his jumpshot and our need for better shooting. I’d like to think JJ just doesn’t put much stock into explaining himself in interviews because this quote comes off as dumb. I’m hoping it’s just smoke screen.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:17 am
TOO wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:10 am
Indy wrote:
TOO wrote:
Split T wrote:
His biggest bet was getting Chris Paul. That took us from missing the playoffs to winning the first two games of the NBA Finals.
Paul forced his way here though, we'll never really know what Jones did there.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

TOO

Post by TOO »

Wally_West wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:21 am
Excellent, we don't need good players. I'm not an Ayton guy but if they move him for just bit players I'm gonna be a perturbed. Collins I can live with, he's pretty good, Brogdon would be part of a bigger package.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Honestly feels like we’re just going to do a straight forward deal with Det, ATL or Indy.

Ayton for Grant and a future protected 1st
for Capela and a future protected 1st
for Turner and a future protected 1st

I have serious low expectations any for Ayton S&T right now. At least this whole thing will be over real soon.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Jones talked about the Miami model for success…the big difference with Miami is they’ve continually found diamond in the rough players…Duncan Robinson, Max Strus, Gabe Vincent. Their player development is top notch…we need to be at that point if we’re gonna pass on the draft.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

What's up ".net fam" ?✌🏾👍🏾

Now crawling out from my little hiatus with school/exams finished. Came here before going on Twitter so didn't even know about the Cam J stuff. 🤦🏾‍♂️

Have seen bits and pieces about DA but this is gonna be quite the task reading through some of these threads :lol:

Anyhow hope everyone is cool
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Wally_West wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:34 am
Honestly feels like we’re just going to do a straight forward deal with Det, ATL or Indy.

Ayton for Grant and a future protected 1st
for Capela and a future protected 1st
for Turner and a future protected 1st

I have serious low expectations any for Ayton S&T right now. At least this whole thing will be over real soon.
IDK. Downgrading Ayton for less $ seems needless when there might be a way to get a better deal. I doubt Capela can play in the 4th of a tight playoff game in the WC. Grant plus a pick would be ok enough. Still, i think something bigger is brewing (knocks on wood).

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Capela deal would be awful unless we have someone else we are lining up for him. He isn't a good basketball player. The difference between Collins at ~24M vs Capela at 20M is huge.

Split T

Post by Split T »