Suns 2022 Off-Season Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
AmareIsGod

Re: Suns Off-Season Thread

Post by AmareIsGod »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 8:57 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 8:55 pm
All told, I think they come back with basically the same team, but with a few minor additions.

You don't blow up a team that won 64 games and finished 8 games better than the rest of the league and was considered the favorite to win the title.

If you don't like what you see once next season starts, then you look at possibly making major changes.
Eh, I don't know about that. Definition of insanity and all that...

They clearly need to do something with the 3rd guard position. Neither Payne nor Shamet is that guy, and that's a huge role on any contender.
It was our downfall. You can only ride a 37 year old horse for so long. Lack of guard depth was the death of us.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
All told, I think they come back with basically the same team, but with a few minor additions.

You don't blow up a team that won 64 games and finished 8 games better than the rest of the league and was considered the favorite to win the title.

If you don't like what you see once next season starts, then you look at possibly making major changes.

They clearly need to do something with the 3rd guard position. Neither Payne nor Shamet is that guy, and that's a huge role on any contender.
Where does the money come for a huge addition though?
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

The Suns' mistake has always been blowing up a team too quickly instead of sticking with it and having continuity. Stop with the panic button.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The Bobster wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 9:02 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
The Bobster wrote:

Where does the money come for a huge addition though?
I should've been clearer. They need a third ballhandler, not necessarily a third guard. Keeping Payne or Shamet but adding anyone who can create like Miles Bridges, for example, would enable more staggering of the the creator duties.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 8:05 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 8:02 pm
You can’t trade Ayton for Lebron, man. Come on. I’d love for Lebron to be on this team but you can’t double down on old ass players who break down at the end of the season. You just can’t. CP3 and Lebron will both 38 by the end of next next season.

If you can’t trade Ayton for a star then you might as well pay him and trade him later. That’s really the only two paths I see for him. Like it or not.
This team is all in on right now. LeBron kills the future, but opens the window for next year. It’s the ultimate all-in move.
That's insane to break up your young core and years of future success to go all in to try to win with a 38-year old point guard who breaks down in the playoffs. Lol.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 9:09 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 8:05 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 8:02 pm
You can’t trade Ayton for Lebron, man. Come on. I’d love for Lebron to be on this team but you can’t double down on old ass players who break down at the end of the season. You just can’t. CP3 and Lebron will both 38 by the end of next next season.

If you can’t trade Ayton for a star then you might as well pay him and trade him later. That’s really the only two paths I see for him. Like it or not.
This team is all in on right now. LeBron kills the future, but opens the window for next year. It’s the ultimate all-in move.
That's insane to break up your young core and years of future success to go all in to try to win with a 38-year old point guard who breaks down in the playoffs. Lol.
I’m only moving Ayton…that’s not breaking up the young core. I’m done with him.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

This is the stupidest discussion ever.

Lebron is not getting you over the top. It just adds another ball dominant old man that is past his prime and can’t play defense.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I would much rather trade Cp3 to the Lakers and let him snuggle up to LBJ except they have nobody worth trading for.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 9:06 pm
The Suns' mistake has always been blowing up a team too quickly instead of sticking with it and having continuity. Stop with the panic button.
If Paul was 25 I’d say okay. He’s 37 and he broke down. It’s only going to get worse. You have got to get off his deal. If we go into next season with him as our second best player, we’re toast before it even begins no matter how the regular season goes.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 9:24 pm
I would much rather trade Cp3 to the Lakers and let him snuggle up to LBJ except they have nobody worth trading for.
I've had the same thought. Unfortunately, they gave up every half decent asset for Westbrook.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 9:27 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 9:24 pm
I've had the same thought. Unfortunately, they gave up every half decent asset for Westbrook.
Yeah and I don’t want him that’s for sure

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TOO wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 7:27 pm
KAT gives you dimension on offense Ayton doesn't, he also plays aggressively unless he's not getting the ball, then he pouts.
Monty would be good for KAT.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 9:06 pm
Do you have an example?
We rode Nash and Amare all the way. Kept Barkley till it was clear we weren’t winning anything.

Other than that, they made dumb moves like driving Dragic away with the The 3 pg crap. Dragic should have been there when we drafted Book.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 9:41 pm
TOO wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 7:27 pm
KAT gives you dimension on offense Ayton doesn't, he also plays aggressively unless he's not getting the ball, then he pouts.
Monty would be good for KAT.
Hard pass.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Only untouchables should be Booker and Bridges.

You shouldn't gut the team but some tough decisions need to be made.

High trade value: Ayton, CamJ
Friendly contracts: Dario, Cam Payne

Contracts needed moved: Shamet, Craig (Or do you view Craig as a budget Crowder and move Jae?)

Ayton is the first domino. Once you figure him out you can decide on JaVale, Bismack, Dario and who's playing center.

Then you probably have to test the waters on CamJ. I was hoping he'd take a bigger jump this year. He was never even close to being a good role player since the quad injury and that was forever ago.

Get some guys who can shoot. The Suns three point shooting towards the end of the season and in the playoffs was incredibly erratic.

I'd really love to see Holiday resigned as a 3rd PG. Also Frank back on another 1 year. I can't believe I jsut typed that.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’d take Simons and Little for Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 9:23 pm
This is the stupidest discussion ever.

Lebron is not getting you over the top. It just adds another ball dominant old man that is past his prime and can’t play defense.
Plus I’d feel dirty even if we win our first ever championship if it took LeBron to do it.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Suns fans: Ugh, we can't win a title because our best player is 37, got old and broke down in the playoffs, and choked in an intense Game 7.

Also Suns fans: Let's trade for Lebron.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 9:52 pm
Suns fans: Ugh, we can't win a title because our best player is 37, got old and broke down in the playoffs, and choked in an intense Game 7.

Also Suns fans: Let's trade for Lebron.
Makes zero sense

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Split T wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 9:47 pm

I’d take Simons and Little for Ayton
I’m all for Lillard but would that really make sense with CP3 on the team?