Suns 2022 Off-Season Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Suns Off-Season Thread

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:54 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:22 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:45 am
What does this mean? Is that standard procedure? Can we still offer the 4 year max or does another team have to offer it and us match? If nobody offers him a contract, is he stuck with only this offer from us? I've been following the NBA forever but never pay attention to these kinds of details.
It's standard procedure. If we didn't tender the QO, DA would become unrestricted on Friday. Now he's restricted and the $16mil is kind of a placeholder. He can still sign a new deal with us or someone else, and then the first year's salary of the new deal replaces the $16mil. If he doesn't sign any deal, he plays out next season for $16mil and becomes an unrestricted free agent next summer.
Thanks Shel! We should add this to a .net FAQ. :)
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

How often has a #1 pick played on his QO? And how often has a #1 pick ever gone into RFA?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think Anthony Bennett is the only other #1 pick to not get an extension. Greg Monroe played out his QO with the Pistons to become unrestricted and then signed with the Bucks he following season.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I always forget about Bennett and what a waste that was.

Speaking of UNLV, is Shawn Marion the greatest player from that school ever?

carey

Post by carey »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:36 pm
I always forget about Bennett and what a waste that was.

Speaking of UNLV, is Shawn Marion the greatest player from that school ever?
I think so. Depends on what you think of Larry Johnson. Marion was consistent for much longer as a pro.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yeah, I was thinking of him, too. Then I looked and saw Reggie Theus and thought he would likely be #1 with Marion being a close #2 and Grandmama being a distant #3.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
What does this mean? Is that standard procedure? Can we still offer the 4 year max or does another team have to offer it and us match? If nobody offers him a contract, is he stuck with only this offer from us? I've been following the NBA forever but never pay attention to these kinds of details.
We can still offer the 4 year max or even a 5 year max.
Last edited by JeremyG on Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:54 pm
Superbone wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
It's standard procedure. If we didn't tender the QO, DA would become unrestricted on Friday. Now he's restricted and the $16mil is kind of a placeholder. He can still sign a new deal with us or someone else, and then the first year's salary of the new deal replaces the $16mil. If he doesn't sign any deal, he plays out next season for $16mil and becomes an unrestricted free agent next summer.
He would also have to sign the qualifying offer before the deadline (October 1), or else he would remain a restricted free agent.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

Would TJ Warren return for the MLE or. Similar... If we resign Ayton he could be a great scoring punch when we need. It

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Indy

Post by Indy »

BlaCkAdDa wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:04 pm
Would TJ Warren return for the MLE or. Similar... If we resign Ayton he could be a great scoring punch when we need. It

Of course he would. But he has played 4 games over the last 2 seasons. I don't know why we would do that.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:17 pm
BlaCkAdDa wrote:

Of course he would. But he has played 4 games over the last 2 seasons. I don't know why we would do that.
Agree. We got rid of him because he was Mr. Glass and he hasn't disproven that moniker yet.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I remember going to a summer basketball camp "sponsored" by Kevin Johnson and all of us kids were begging him to dunk the ball. I clearly remember this was the summer right after he dunked on Olajuwon. He refused to dunk and instead missed a half court shot. Pretty sure that's right around when I started to turn on him as my favorite player. :lol:

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

KJ's hamstring was probably hurt.
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:17 pm
BlaCkAdDa wrote:

Hard pass

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Moving Crowder makes some sense to me. It's time to let Cam Johnson start. Jae has been great for us, but he's getting older, he makes a decent amount of money, and he still has value around the league. We can't really get value back for him if we don't trade him this year. Would love to keep him but I think it's better for us long-term to extract value from him as an asset and let Cam slide up into the starting 4 spot.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:55 am
Moving Crowder makes some sense to me. It's time to let Cam Johnson start. Jae has been great for us, but he's getting older, he makes a decent amount of money, and he still has value around the league. We can't really get value back for him if we don't trade him this year. Would love to keep him but I think it's better for us long-term to extract value from him as an asset and let Cam slide up into the starting 4 spot.
This. Felt we should’ve upgraded his spot last year. Feel even more strongly about it now. Not necessarily better, just need something different. Either a better shooter, or a better dribbler, and definitely a better rebounder.

Carno

Post by Carno »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:55 am
I agree. Plus, the Suns need to move salary for fringe rotation players to make room for Ayton, Cam J and Booker extensions/raises. Crowder isn't a fringe player per se, but he is in the sense that the Suns have a replacement (Cam J) and is movable. I predict other moves to lower salary on the bench, for example: let McGee go, move Shamet (I wish). McGee will be replaced by Saric, who will no longer be wasted salary. Saric may be moved too, but I doubt there are trades that benefit the Suns unless it is in a bigger deal to match salaries (KD anyone?).

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’m not really interested in moving Crowder just to move him. It better not be a cost cutting move. We need to be bringing something back that upgrades us.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I guarantee at some point, James Jones touts Dario Saric as one of our big off-season additions (assuming he isn’t traded). Write it down in pen.