Suns 2022 Off-Season Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
specialsauce

Re: Suns Off-Season Thread

Post by specialsauce »

Carno wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:18 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:55 am
Moving Crowder makes some sense to me. It's time to let Cam Johnson start. Jae has been great for us, but he's getting older, he makes a decent amount of money, and he still has value around the league. We can't really get value back for him if we don't trade him this year. Would love to keep him but I think it's better for us long-term to extract value from him as an asset and let Cam slide up into the starting 4 spot.
I agree. Plus, the Suns need to move salary for fringe rotation players to make room for Ayton, Cam J and Booker extensions/raises. Crowder isn't a fringe player per se, but he is in the sense that the Suns have a replacement (Cam J) and is movable. I predict other moves to lower salary on the bench, for example: let McGee go, move Shamet (I wish). McGee will be replaced by Saric, who will no longer be wasted salary. Saric may be moved too, but I doubt there are trades that benefit the Suns unless it is in a bigger deal to match salaries (KD anyone?).
We can’t just get rid of Crowder without a replacement. I just think Crowder, Johnson and Bridges are redundant swings that don’t create much offense and don’t provide much rebounding. We need someone different, and of the 3 Crowder makes the most sense to move as he’s not cheap either.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:16 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Moving Crowder makes some sense to me. It's time to let Cam Johnson start. Jae has been great for us, but he's getting older, he makes a decent amount of money, and he still has value around the league. We can't really get value back for him if we don't trade him this year. Would love to keep him but I think it's better for us long-term to extract value from him as an asset and let Cam slide up into the starting 4 spot.
This. Felt we should’ve upgraded his spot last year. Feel even more strongly about it now. Not necessarily better, just need something different. Either a better shooter, or a better dribbler, and definitely a better rebounder.
There are only like a dozen guys in the league that played F or C that took as many threes as Jae and hit as many. One of those guys is already on our roster in CamJ. Even fewer that rebound better than Crowder.

One of those guys that is actually available is OG. He rebounds better, shoots better, and dribbles.

Oh, and all of the guys that rebound as good as Crowder make a lot more than him, except Bey because he is still on his rookie contract.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

:oops: oops
Indy wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:37 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:16 am
Mori Chu wrote:
This. Felt we should’ve upgraded his spot last year. Feel even more strongly about it now. Not necessarily better, just need something different. Either a better shooter, or a better dribbler, and definitely a better rebounder.
There are only like a dozen guys in the league that played F or C that took as many threes as Jae and hit as many. One of those guys is already on our roster in CamJ. Even fewer that rebound better than Crowder.

One of those guys that is actually available is OG. He rebounds better, shoots better, and dribbles.

Oh, and all of the guys that rebound as good as Crowder make a lot more than him, except Bey because he is still on his rookie contract.
Jamychael green had a down year last year but he’d be a better fit. Hits the three. Rebounds better. Bigger dude.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Green does rebound more. But I think that is about it. Crowder hasn't taken less than 5 threes in a long time. Green never has taken more than 3.8. To your point about a down year, he took less than 2 a game and shot under 27%.

And I am not sure about size. Like I know Green is 2 inches taller and has a great wingspan, but Jae is bulkier and can bang with guys better.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Indy

Post by Indy »

There is no way he is worth 6M/year, so of course they had to pass on extending the QO.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I wish we would make Holiday the backup pg instead of Cam Payne. I think Payne had his moments but isn't the long term solution.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Considering that we didn’t use him down the stretch, I doubt we’ll be bringing him back at any price.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:06 pm
I wish we would make Holiday the backup pg instead of Cam Payne. I think Payne had his moments but isn't the long term solution.
Holiday was actually quite terrible when he was running the show, he fit best as a 3/D energy shooter.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I don't know if he has the mental capacity or ability to slow the game down enough to be a good backup PG. Similar to Payne in some ways but never really looks sure of himself or overly confident. Almost like he lucks the 3 point shot into going in.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Cap

Post by Cap »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:33 pm
I don't know if he has the mental capacity or ability to slow the game down enough to be a good backup PG. Similar to Payne in some ways but never really looks sure of himself or overly confident. Almost like he lucks the 3 point shot into going in.
He’s 236-633 on his career. That’s a lot of luck.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Patty Mills please!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:16 am
Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:17 pm
BlaCkAdDa wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:04 pm
Would TJ Warren return for the MLE or. Similar... If we resign Ayton he could be a great scoring punch when we need. It

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk
Of course he would. But he has played 4 games over the last 2 seasons. I don't know why we would do that.
Hard pass
I would sign him for the minimum, but there is no way we can burn the MLE on him; we have too many needs and too few resources.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Wally_West wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:03 pm
This doesn’t pass the smell test.

1) Min just drafted Walker Kessler.
2) Ayton isn’t a shot blocker. Patrick Beverly averaged more BPG (so did Frank Kaminsky for that matter).
3) don’t see us being interested in D-lo and the money doesn’t work.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:26 pm
There is no way he is worth 6M/year, so of course they had to pass on extending the QO.
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:06 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:33 pm
I don't know if he has the mental capacity or ability to slow the game down enough to be a good backup PG.
Yeah, Holiday didn't look like a point guard during his time here. Sloppy handles, low BBIQ, etc. He can pressure the ball, has a good 3-point shot, and decent quickness/athleticism. I would take him back on the cheap as long as we had already secured a legit backup point guard like Rubio.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

No thank you to giving McGee a multi-year deal.

There are too many young, stretch bigs on the market to settle for McGee. The Suns should end up with one of Jalen Smith, Mo Bamba, or Isaiah Hartenstein.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

D'Angelo Russell would be a terrible acquisition.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:36 pm
D'Angelo Russell would be a terrible acquisition.
You're alive!!!

Welcome back buddy