Suns 2022 Off-Season Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Suns Off-Season Thread

Post by ShelC »

Indy wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:15 pm
ShelC wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:59 pm
djy2j wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:58 am
wpmiller42 wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:34 am
I'm surprised we were able to get him on a 2-way contract. You would think someone would have given him a more guaranteed deal. Seems like the kind of guy that San Antonio or Orlando could have signed and used easily. Oh well, good for us!
I like the signing. He's got some potential but he really isn't all that good yet is why no one picked him up. He was pretty much forced to play on a tanking Pacers team. He's what they call a "volume shooter." He's definitely got confidence which is good and seems like he's a hard worker but he isn't much of a player yet. I look forward to his improvement.
Yea we need a straight scorer somewhere - someone who can get a bucket. It's shot creation, but also just being a threat with the ball. Payne's been that for us but he's too streaky and is more of a scoring point guard. Shamet is mostly limited to C+S opps, Even if DWJ doesn't stand out, he's an option. His other stats don't bother me so much because for this role we don't need a PG per say, we need a bucket.
Didn't he attack the rim more than any guard off the bench last year?
Didn't feel like it, maybe a bit more later on in the year?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Paul (3%) and Crowder (6%) were the only players on the team with a lower percentage of their shots within 3 feet of the basket last year than Shamet (9%).
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Shamet's good at pump faking on the 3, taking 1 dribble and attacking the basket. He's not really a guy you ask to create two points out of an iso situation.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

He's not a no-conscience, get-a-bucket scorer which is what we've lacked. I think, given the system Monty runs and the discipline he likes within that system, it might be tough to work that kind of player in but sometimes you need to deviate and keep the other team off balance.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

As others have said, Washington Jr and Wainwright seem a little too good to be two-way fifteenth-men type of players IMO. So it may be that we are grabbing them to have in hand in case we make a many-for-one trade that loses us a decent amount of our rotation depth. If we trade 4-5 players in a KD package, guys like Washington and Wainwright will slide up from 15th men to 9th-10th men and will get real minutes. That seems plausible to me.

Or, if not, that is great value and depth at the end of the bench for essentially pennies on the dollar. If we don't get KD or another big star in a trade, this offseason will be a little underwhelming overall. But at least Jones isn't entirely sitting idle while waiting on KD.

I think this team as currently constituted is about equally good as the team we put on the court last year. Some folks probably think that isn't good enough, since we fell short last year. But I would be looking for improvement from some of our young players, such as Ayton, Mikal, and even Booker, none of whom have arguably hit their primes yet. So I could see us being improved next year just due to age and experience.

To me the big question is still CP3 and overall PG depth. I'm very worried that CP3 is about due for a season where he misses 30-40 games to injury, and Payne has generally been unreliable for the past year, so we'd be in big trouble without Paul for a long stretch. We have not addressed that problem. If anything, by letting Holiday walk we have taken away the small bit of insurance we had for such a situation. So I hope Jones is looking for a real PG to add to the roster once the KD stuff works itself out. I still favor Schroder, personally.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I was listening to the PHNX_Suns podcast the other day, and they had some made up trade machine ideas they tossed around. One was that the Suns could trade Crowder, Payne (or Craig), and a pick to Utah for Jordan Clarkson. Would you guys do that? Assuming KD wasn't going to happen, that is.

Last season Clarkson averaged 16.0 ppg on 41.9/31.8/82.8 shooting, 3.5 reb, and 2.5 assists in 27 min/game. The shooting was less efficient than I thought it'd be; his FG% and 3pt% have been dropping each of the last 3 seasons. And I believe Clarkson has 2 years left on his contract at about $11m/year ish.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... kjo01.html

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

I think including Crowder for Clarkson is a bit of an overpay. I like Clarkson as a player though, and there are times where he can really get on scoring roles. But his defense is average on a good day... That being said, if the Jazz look to dump him for a pick + Craig (don't know if that works trade wise), I'd be fine with that. But including Crowder is an overpay unless for some reason Crowder wants to go back to Utah and we want to do him a favor.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ive thought about Crowder for Clarkson. It’s trading 1 strength for a different strength. You trade Crowder’s defense and veteran presence for a true 3rd guard that can create his own shot. I do think we have a readymade starter to replace Crowder(Cam Johnson) in the lineup, but he doesn’t exactly bring the defensive presence. We would have Craig/Wainright who can provide a lower level of what Crowder offers. We don’t really have someone that brings what Clarkson offers. Duane Washington is the closest to being that guy.

Though I don’t see Utah having any interest in Crowder, he’d need to go to a 3rd team to give Utah an asset. Maybe combine it into the Mitchell trade to help Utah get an asset they covet. I hear the Knicks don’t want to part with Quentin Grimes, maybe adding Crowder to the Knicks gets them to give up Grimes and Clarkson to us?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Griner sentenced to 9 1/2 years today for a cartridge with THC.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

TOO

Post by TOO »

Absurd.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Terrible

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:59 am
Ive thought about Crowder for Clarkson. It’s trading 1 strength for a different strength. You trade Crowder’s defense and veteran presence for a true 3rd guard that can create his own shot. I do think we have a readymade starter to replace Crowder(Cam Johnson) in the lineup, but he doesn’t exactly bring the defensive presence. We would have Craig/Wainright who can provide a lower level of what Crowder offers. We don’t really have someone that brings what Clarkson offers. Duane Washington is the closest to being that guy.

Though I don’t see Utah having any interest in Crowder, he’d need to go to a 3rd team to give Utah an asset. Maybe combine it into the Mitchell trade to help Utah get an asset they covet. I hear the Knicks don’t want to part with Quentin Grimes, maybe adding Crowder to the Knicks gets them to give up Grimes and Clarkson to us?
I would

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

That is cool for Book
Also think a little funny because "Yes, they're his moves but he almost looks like he's already moving like he's imagining playing the game"
So obvious that he plays the game a bunch lol
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Kemba Walker post Detroit buyout?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Vladimir_Taltos