Suns 2022 Off-Season Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Suns Off-Season Thread

Post by Indy »

Wormwood wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 5:03 pm
Brad Beal doesn't really fill a need: he's already in the mold of Booker.

Siakam is a lateral move, probably doesn't move the needle enough to put us back in the finals

Embiid... yes oh God yes if he's gettable, but I don't think he is. But of all the people mentioned,

Jaylen Brown doesn't fill a need, same as Beal

LaVine doesn't fill a need and he's not a superstar

Damian Lilliard doesn't fill a big need (CP3 still very good, he just needs a better back up. Rubio?). Plus, swapping CP3 for Dame still leaves us with a disgruntled Ayton.

Don't throw things at me, but LeBron would make a certain amount of sense basketball wise. (I'm not going to go into what people think of him personally or politically... not here). But, a scoring PF who distributes the ball and rebounds (plays good defense when motivated, which was seldom last year). Gets to the FT line a lot. He does address a lot of weaknesses on the court, and would take load off of CP3 as a playmaker / distributor.

Gut feeling says Flex is right, and a superstar is going to force their way here, and it's most likely to be KD.
I think Siakim would be miles from "lateral."

A PF that can create for teammates as well as many PGs, gets to the line more than ANYONE on our current team, while also having championship experience and used to being the #1 target on the scouting report. I mean, 33 year old KD @ 48M/year the next 4 years or 27 year old Siakim @ 34M/yr for 2 years? He's no KD, but he might be better for our current team than KD in 2 years. Depends how KD holds up.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Wormwood wrote:

Siakam is a lateral move, probably doesn't move the needle enough to put us back in the finals

Embiid... yes oh God yes if he's gettable, but I don't think he is. But of all the people mentioned,

Damian Lilliard doesn't fill a big need (CP3 still very good, he just needs a better back up. Rubio?). Plus, swapping CP3 for Dame still leaves us with a disgruntled Ayton.

Don't throw things at me, but LeBron would make a certain amount of sense basketball wise. (I'm not going to go into what people think of him personally or politically... not here). But, a scoring PF who distributes the ball and rebounds (plays good defense when motivated, which was seldom last year). Gets to the FT line a lot. He does address a lot of weaknesses on the court, and would take load off of CP3 as a playmaker / distributor.

Gut feeling says Flex is right, and a superstar is going to force their way here, and it's most likely to be KD.
Damn dude. You slayed all the options. Lol.
I feel we’re being a little too cursory on these options. Siakam plays the 4, can put the ball on the floor and get a bucket, he plays more aggressive than Ayton. Whereas Ayton doesn’t create for himself and isn’t very aggressive in the clutch without being set up

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Wormwood wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 1:41 pm
Most of whatever the Suns would bring in as part of an Ayton trade would likely be flipped as part of the rumored deal for a superstar (I think Durant is the #1 guy on the radar). For example, I suspect that in a trade involving Poetl, Vassel, and firsts, only Poetl would be sticking around, and the rest flipped. Suns are heavy into win now mode, so firsts aren't that appealing. Plus, Vassel is redundant with Bridges (as much as I like him).
If we trade DeAndre Ayton for Poetl, Vassel, and a 1st, I am going to have a stroke.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 6:11 pm
Wormwood wrote:

I think Siakim would be miles from "lateral."

A PF that can create for teammates as well as many PGs, gets to the line more than ANYONE on our current team, while also having championship experience and used to being the #1 target on the scouting report. I mean, 33 year old KD @ 48M/year the next 4 years or 27 year old Siakim @ 34M/yr for 2 years? He's no KD, but he might be better for our current team than KD in 2 years. Depends how KD holds up.
“A need.” What’s our need? Our need certainly isn’t trading our player with the most potential to bloom into a consistent offensive force not named Booker. Our need us to win games. All those players have the potential to outright win a game all alone.

The junk I’ve seen coming back has no chance at being great. I’m interested in great. At least DA at a high motor is an all star level talent. I’m not interested in low ceiling players.

I love that we bashed Beal, Siakam, Dame, et Al then made a case for LEBRON.

Hilarious. Trade DA and gut your youth for an organization killer who is closer to retirement than his prime.

Then almost certainly flame out by the end of the year, have no future left because you mortgaged it for Lebron and CP3, and then watch booker leave to get the hell out of the bare desert that becomes our roster

Indy

Post by Indy »

I am not advocating for a Lebron trade, but it is crazy you call him an organization killer. Did he kill Miami when he brought them 2 rings? Or Cleveland when he got them their 1 and only ring and did it against the fully healthy Warriors in their prime? He even won a ring in LA when he was 35 while playing more minutes than anyone else on the team.

And do you remember all of your rambling about what a pussy DA is and how he will never have the aggression he needs to be great?

TOO

Post by TOO »

Indy wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 7:24 pm
I am not advocating for a Lebron trade, but it is crazy you call him an organization killer. Did he kill Miami when he brought them 2 rings? Or Cleveland when he got them their 1 and only ring and did it against the fully healthy Warriors in their prime? He even won a ring in LA when he was 35 while playing more minutes than anyone else on the team.

And do you remember all of your rambling about what a pussy DA is and how he will never have the aggression he needs to be great?
Good stuff this.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I feel like we are getting bizarrosauce this week. :P

TOO

Post by TOO »

Indy wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 7:43 pm
The off-season plays with your mind and your emotions when you're a good team that needs to make a change.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 7:24 pm

You’re confusing my rambling about Bender with my rambling about DA. I still think they’re both pussies. But DA can be effective even as a pussy, though he won’t ever reach his true potential because of his lack of a killer instinct.

And yes, look at the following 3 years of each organization after he leaves them, guts their team of all their assets and drowns them in craptastic contracts all for the sake of assembling his own crew.

Lebron is past the stage of being worth the baggage. I would’ve been down to make that sacrifice 3-4 years ago. Not now.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Your Lukarection has been so large for 3 years that you’ve been unable to see DA in any other light except “could’ve been Doncic.”

Again, I’m not even advocating keeping DA. I’m just saying don’t trade him for washed, used to be elite parts or salvage yard parts that never will even have a potential to be great

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 8:30 pm
Indy wrote:
Your Lukarection has been so large for 3 years that you’ve been unable to see DA in any other light except “could’ve been Doncic.”

Again, I’m not even advocating keeping DA. I’m just saying don’t trade him for washed, used to be elite parts or salvage yard parts that never will even have a potential to be great
I would gladly trade 3 years of sucking for 1 ring. I mean we just went through a decade of sucking and got nothing out of it.

ShadowHawke

Post by ShadowHawke »

Last time I checked, we are still 0 & 54.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 9:07 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Indy wrote:

I would gladly trade 3 years of sucking for 1 ring. I mean we just went through a decade of sucking and got nothing out of it.
Except Lebron isn’t that guy anymore. A team with a geriatric LBJ and CP3 as sieves on D ain’t going nowhere

Split T

Post by Split T »

LeBron can play defense when he wants to…there was no reason to last year.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 6:32 am
LeBron can play defense when he wants to…there was no reason to last year.
?? You have what to back that up

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

LBJ plays when he's motivated. He's not going to burn himself out, especially at his age now, dragging a shit team to 45-50 wins just to lose in the 1st or 2nd round.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

ShelC wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 7:47 am
LBJ plays when he's motivated. He's not going to burn himself out, especially at his age now, dragging a shit team to 45-50 wins just to lose in the 1st or 2nd round.
And you know this because? You’re literally guessing and making excuses. He hasn’t played defense in over 2 years.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

specialsauce wrote:
Indy wrote:

Not taking sides, but the word "Lukarection" gives me the giggles.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 8:07 am
ShelC wrote:
And you know this because? You’re literally guessing and making excuses. He hasn’t played defense in over 2 years.
Because I watch basketball and know that's what some of these stars are about. He took most of the year off when he got to LA because the Lakers weren't ready to win with that roster. Kyrie took most of his first year off with the Nets after he and KD signed there because KD was out. Those guys can turn it on and off when they want. They're that good. I've said before, LBJ can't do it for 36mpg for 80 games anymore which is why he teamed up with AD - thinking AD would takeover as the 1A guy by now and he could lay back a bit. Hasn't worked out. Put him on this team that's ready to win with other guys to help carry the load and he'll pace himself to play when it counts.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 8:49 am
specialsauce wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 8:07 am
ShelC wrote:
Because I watch basketball and know that's what some of these stars are about. He took most of the year off when he got to LA because the Lakers weren't ready to win with that roster. Kyrie took most of his first year off with the Nets after he and KD signed there because KD was out. Those guys can turn it on and off when they want. They're that good. I've said before, LBJ can't do it for 36mpg for 80 games anymore which is why he teamed up with AD - thinking AD would takeover as the 1A guy by now and he could lay back a bit. Hasn't worked out. Put him on this team that's ready to win with other guys to help carry the load and he'll pace himself to play when it counts.
THIS