Suns 2022 Off-Season Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Suns Off-Season Thread

Post by Split T »

TOO wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 7:57 pm
Fox and Richaun Holmes?
Don’t love Fox…hard to play him with CP3

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 7:59 pm
TOO wrote:
Fox and Richaun Holmes?
CP3 isn't gonna be around forever.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 7:58 pm
TOO wrote:
Split T wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 7:54 pm
Here’s some thoughts on S&T:

KAT, Siakam, and LeBron have been mentioned.

Ben Simmons?
Miles Bridges?
John Collins?
Beal?
AD?
Grant and a 1st?
Rudy?
Sabonis?
I want Saddiq Bey and The Pistons first in a S&T. That is my dream.
I would do that for sure…I threw grant in mostly as a contract. No clue who I’d draft though
Banchero or Smith up front or Ivey as a combo G.

Split T

Post by Split T »

TOO wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 8:00 pm
Split T wrote:
TOO wrote:
Fox and Richaun Holmes?
Yes, but it would make for a weird roster makeup until he’s gone.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

You can’t trade Ayton for Lebron, man. Come on. I’d love for Lebron to be on this team but you can’t double down on old ass players who break down at the end of the season. You just can’t. CP3 and Lebron will both 38 by the end of next next season.

If you can’t trade Ayton for a star then you might as well pay him and trade him later. That’s really the only two paths I see for him. Like it or not.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 8:01 pm
TOO wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 8:00 pm
Split T wrote:
TOO wrote:
Fox and Richaun Holmes?
Yes, but it would make for a weird roster makeup until he’s gone.
A little, but there's plenty of minutes for 3 guards to go around, especially at Paul's age.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I’m not even against Lebron under the right circumstances, but I just don’t think that can be you big move. 2 of you top 3 players can’t be injury prone 38 year olds.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Wally_West wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 8:02 pm
You can’t trade Ayton for Lebron, man. Come on. I’d love for Lebron to be on this team but you can’t double down on old ass players who break down at the end of the season. You just can’t. CP3 and Lebron will both 38 by the end of next next season.

If you can’t trade Ayton for a star then you might as well pay him and trade him later. That’s really the only two paths I see for him. Like it or not.
This team is all in on right now. LeBron kills the future, but opens the window for next year. It’s the ultimate all-in move.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

My dream would be KD, tired of Kyrie’s bullshit, forces his way to Phoenix. S&T Ayton and some expiring contracts for him. I don’t think Ayton would have a problem playing in New York.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

From ESPN -

"The offseason now presents the question if, after another strong season, Phoenix now views Ayton as a $177 million player or perhaps $136.6 million with one less year. If it does, the top free-agent center will be in a Suns uniform for the foreseeable future.

But what happens if Phoenix uses the threat of restricted free agency and a limited market of teams with available cap space as leverage? Would the Suns tell Ayton to go out and get an offer sheet from another team, with the belief it would get matched?

ESPN is projecting four teams -- the Detroit Pistons, Indiana Pacers, Orlando Magic and San Antonio Spurs -- to each have more than $30.5 million in available cap space. A fifth, the Portland Trail Blazers, would need to waive starter Josh Hart to create a max slot.

Each of the four teams (and possibly Portland) can offer a four-year, $131.1 million contract.

Considering Phoenix is now getting a discount of $46 million (but with one less year), the likelihood is that the offer is matched. In total, 17 players have signed an offer sheet, with seven going unmatched. The latest was in 2020 with Bogdan Bogdanovic and the Sacramento Kings.

The risk for the Suns is a contract laden with an advance payment, trade bonus and fewer years. Instead of having Ayton under contract through the 2026-27 season, there would be the possibility of him becoming an unrestricted free agent in 2024 or 2025.

A sign-and-trade is also an option, but that would require the Suns to cooperate. Plus, Ayton would be subjected to the complex base year compensation rule if he were signed and traded to a team over the cap. For trade purposes, only 50% of Ayton's incoming salary for a new team applies. That means a $30.5 million salary counts as only $15.7 million in incoming salary, but the full amount still applies toward outgoing salary.

This does not mean Ayton is without leverage. The restricted tag comes with a $16.4 million qualifying offer."
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'm kind of on the same wavelength as TOO. If Ayton is indeed gone this summer, I don't think it's a bad idea to bring in another high level guard as I'm pretty sure next season will be Paul's last.

In any case, they need to get a self creator back. I'm not really interested in a guys like Collins or Grant because they don't make their teammates better.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Didn't KD already commit to a Brooklyn extension?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Why would the base year compensation rule apply? I thought that was for people who sign extensions….I don’t think that’s right.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Split T wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 8:05 pm
Wally_West wrote:

This team is all in on right now. LeBron kills the future, but opens the window for next year. It’s the ultimate all-in move.
Both CP3 and Lebron broke down at the end of of the last two seasons, why would you expect this upcoming season to be any different. Like I said, im not against the idea of Lebron but doubling down on injury prone old dudes sounds like something that has a 90% chance of failure.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Split T wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 8:12 pm
Why would the base year compensation rule apply? I thought that was for people who sign extensions….I don’t think that’s right.
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q93
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

Split T

Post by Split T »

Wally_West wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 8:14 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 8:05 pm
Wally_West wrote:

Both CP3 and Lebron broke down at the end of of the last two seasons, why would you expect this upcoming season to be any different. Like I said, im not against the idea of Lebron but doubling down on injury prone old dudes sounds like something that has a 90% chance of failure.
You’re right it does probably has a high chance of failure. But I think anything we do has a high chance of failure

Split T

Post by Split T »

The Bobster wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 8:16 pm
Split T wrote:
So we can’t even sign and trade him for someone like Siakam…we’ll only be able to take back like 20 million in salary

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Split T wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 8:41 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 8:16 pm
Split T wrote:
So we can’t even sign and trade him for someone like Siakam…we’ll only be able to take back like 20 million in salary
This sucks.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

All told, I think they come back with basically the same team, but with a few minor additions.

You don't blow up a team that won 64 games and finished 8 games better than the rest of the league and was considered the favorite to win the title.

If you don't like what you see once next season starts, then you look at possibly making major changes.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The Bobster wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 8:55 pm
All told, I think they come back with basically the same team, but with a few minor additions.

You don't blow up a team that won 64 games and finished 8 games better than the rest of the league and was considered the favorite to win the title.

If you don't like what you see once next season starts, then you look at possibly making major changes.
Eh, I don't know about that. Definition of insanity and all that...

They clearly need to do something with the 3rd guard position. Neither Payne nor Shamet is that guy, and that's a huge role on any contender.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.