2022 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Just trying to keep things somewhat organized, but the rumors and heavy odds of Ayton going to Detroit has me paying more attention to who the Suns could be acquiring with Detroit's 5th pick.

I'm really interested in Jaden Ivey. I like that he comes from a professional athlete family. His mother played in the WNBA and is the current head coach at Notre Dame. Both his father and grandfather played in the NFL.

He reminds me a lot of guys like SGA and Jaylen Brown. There's a good chance he'd become a great transition away from Chris Paul in his second season or be the center piece of a superstar trade (KD) this upcoming season.

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Really good 3pt SG, 6-5 200 plays a bit like Book but more 3pt focused and a C+S guy, not much a creating guard/swing. Not overly athletic but strong and can finish well.

High IQ big who plays really good defense and has a good feel for passing but no offensive moves. Form isn't terrible on his jumper and shoots 70% from the FT line. He's 6-10 240 with a 7-1 wingspan but looks like he plays bigger, which is nice. If he could get a consistent jumper, he'd be a very nice 2-way big.

Last edited by ShelC on Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:14 am
Jeremy Sochan might be the ideal frontcourt player for us in the draft. 6-9 230 with potential lockdown defensive ability inside and out. Really good on the perimeter at his size and would be a big upgrade guarding the bigger 3/4s we have trouble with, along with smaller 5s.

Offensively, he's the connector we talk about - great passer, high IQ, can move the ball in the halfcourt and in transition. 3pt shot is a little slow and mechanical but looks good. Not a big off the dribble threat/shooter and his offense might regress to where he's *just* a top notch defender/passer unless the team that takes him really develops him in that area. Both parents played basketball at Oklahoma, he's spent time overseas where his parents played (has played for the Polish Natl Team) and he went to Baylor, which seems to be a program we're familiar with and like scouting. Reminds me a lot of a hyper-active Boris but other comps I've seen are Ben Simmons, Kyle Anderson, Batum. He's in that 8-15 range in most mocks so if we were to trade into the 1st round, we'd have to make sure we get in high enough to make sure he's there.

His assist #s don't show what a passer he is and his FTs need work for sure but his form looks good so it might be a matter of reps/confidence.

https://zonahoops.com/2022/02/18/jeremy ... ng-report/

Actually, I really like Jaylin Williams in the early second round. He does everything well, but nothing great. He's got some attributes that make him a good fit for the current NBA meta, particuarly his ability to step out and guard the perimeter, his great footwork and timing to absorb charges and get steals, and his passing is fantastic for a legit center. He worked out for the Suns recently. I think he'd be a good fit.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Weathers is a 6-5 225 SF/PF who played center at SMU. Looks and plays bigger than 6-5 and has a 7-1 wingspan. More of a power swing than a fluid, dynamic perimeter player. Could be a PJ Tucker type with a lot more bounce. Plays hard, dunks hard, not too much off the dribble but can make an initial move around his defender. Decent C+S 3pt shot but will need more work on his touch. Older player who started at Miami Ohio, sat a year and transferred to Duquesne and then went to SMU and played with his brother.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Question for you guys? Do you think we will actually get into this draft? I haven’t paid close attention, but outside of Tari Eason, it seems most the guys we’ve looked at are more like late 1st or 2nd round guys, right?

Seems like buying an early 2nd could be a real thing, but I doubt our ability to get into the mid 1st or higher. That would require Cam J or better leaving. I guess we could be looking at prospects for some under the table Ayton S&T agreements that might be ongoing.

Side note, why make it so difficult to make certain transactions. Why was Ayton ineligible to sign an extension once the season started? Why couldn’t we Sign and trade Ayton right now? I understand it’s against the rules, but why is it? How does it benefit anyone?

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Random thought: I get the reasons why Orlando wouldn’t trade WCJ for Ayton BUT … a Chet Holmgren/Ayton front court would be mighty intriguing.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Wally_West wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:29 am
Random thought: I get the reasons why Orlando wouldn’t trade WCJ for Ayton BUT … a Chet Holmgren/Ayton front court would be mighty intriguing.
You think they go Chet? He scares me a bit…I don’t really think he’s gonna be a bust or anything but I’m not sure what kind of impact he has. He’s a mystery to me…but to be fair most prospects this year are mysteries to me.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:46 am
Wally_West wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:29 am
You think they go Chet? He scares me a bit…I don’t really think he’s gonna be a bust or anything but I’m not sure what kind of impact he has. He’s a mystery to me…but to be fair most prospects this year are mysteries to me.
I think they go Jabari Smith, that seems to be the choice right now.
I’m just saying, base of my bare minimum draft knowledge of this year’s prospects lol, I think Holmgren and Ayton compliment each other extremely well, both offensively and definitely. A Chet/Ayton front court has a potential to be a nightmare defensive duo. Also Chet’s is a pretty interesting offensive prospect, being a 7ft big man that can handle the ball with play making ability, I could definitely see him and Ayton developing great pick and roll chemistry. I just like idea of pairing those two is all and the Magic are only team that could realistically do that. I guess OKC could too, but don’t think they’re interested in Ayton. A Giddy/Holmgren/Ayton trio could be fun.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:08 am
Question for you guys? Do you think we will actually get into this draft? I haven’t paid close attention, but outside of Tari Eason, it seems most the guys we’ve looked at are more like late 1st or 2nd round guys, right?

Seems like buying an early 2nd could be a real thing, but I doubt our ability to get into the mid 1st or higher. That would require Cam J or better leaving. I guess we could be looking at prospects for some under the table Ayton S&T agreements that might be ongoing.

Side note, why make it so difficult to make certain transactions. Why was Ayton ineligible to sign an extension once the season started? Why couldn’t we Sign and trade Ayton right now? I understand it’s against the rules, but why is it? How does it benefit anyone?
Well it would require other teams talking to Ayton. Which would open the door for teams being able to talk to any upcoming free agents. To me, it seems weirder that teams are allowed to trade players (who are already under contract) before the playoffs are even over. And the whole interviewing and hiring assistant coaches who are still coaching a different team in the playoffs has always bothered me.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:50 pm
Split T wrote:

Well it would require other teams talking to Ayton. Which would open the door for teams being able to talk to any upcoming free agents. To me, it seems weirder that teams are allowed to trade players (who are already under contract) before the playoffs are even over. And the whole interviewing and hiring assistant coaches who are still coaching a different team in the playoffs has always bothered me.
I think you can use the stipulation that the suns have to grant permission. That’s what they do with the assistant coaches, right?

If suns give Ayton and his agent permission to talk to other teams I don’t see a problem.

As it stands now, what are the rules? We can have communication with Ayton and/or his agent, right? We can also talk to other teams as trades are legal right now. So we could conceivably have discussions with other teams about a potential Ayton trade and be able to gauge Ayton’s interest? The other teams just can’t have any official communication with Ayton or his agent.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:09 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:50 pm
Split T wrote:

I think you can use the stipulation that the suns have to grant permission. That’s what they do with the assistant coaches, right?

If suns give Ayton and his agent permission to talk to other teams I don’t see a problem.

As it stands now, what are the rules? We can have communication with Ayton and/or his agent, right? We can also talk to other teams as trades are legal right now. So we could conceivably have discussions with other teams about a potential Ayton trade and be able to gauge Ayton’s interest? The other teams just can’t have any official communication with Ayton or his agent.
We can talk to Ayton and his agent, we just can't sign him to an extension any longer. We can talk to other teams about trades but not trades involving upcoming free agents AFAIK.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The Suns and Ayton can absolutely still come to a contract agreement before July 1st.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:49 pm
The Suns and Ayton can absolutely still come to a contract agreement before July 1st.
Can they? I mean they could discuss it for sure, but I don’t think they can do anything official. They couldn’t during the season either, at least that’s how I understood it.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:38 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Can they? I mean they could discuss it for sure, but I don’t think they can do anything official. They couldn’t during the season either, at least that’s how I understood it.
Sorry for not being clear. They can't sign anything, but they can negotiate. The Bulls are doing it with Zach LaVine right now.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:35 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:38 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sorry for not being clear. They can't sign anything, but they can negotiate. The Bulls are doing it with Zach LaVine right now.
Gotcha, ya that makes sense

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Right, they can talk but they can no longer prevent him from becoming a free agent.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Ok fellas, which Sun is about to get traded on draft night?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:20 pm
There's been so much Suns activity working out players that something's got to happen, right?
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:20 pm
Do we think we have any players that can return a 1st round pick that we’d be willing to move?

We’re not going to trade Book, CP3, or Bridges for a pick. Ayton isn’t eligible to be traded. Payne, Shamet, Craig, and Saric are clearly not returning 1st round picks. That leaves Crowder and Cam J. Cam would definitely return a 1st, but I’d be very surprised if we made that move. Crowder I’m not sure…maybe the right team would send us their late 1st for him?

Denver at 21, Philly at 23, Milwaukee at 24, Miami at 27, GS at 28, and Memphis at 22 and 29 seem like possibilities.

More likely I see us just buying into the 2nd round.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

I think Payne has some value because of his contract. He at least is good for a back up PG during regular season. Maybe late first round?
Shamet? Idk. I guess I dislike him so much I don’t think I can even objectively evaluate his worth. It drives me nuts how some players move and shoot like they’re torching the other team but just can’t even stay on the floor. The guy comes of a screen at like 80 mph to shoot fading away when if he slowed it down 30% he’d have a better look.
Shamet has the capacity to get you a solid 12ppg playing more simply and getting better shots. He’s just not a #1 scoring option off the bench.