2022 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread

Post by ShelC »

NBA.com writer Mark Medina doesn't see that changing.

"Don’t expect a draft-day trade, either, considering the Suns hardly want to break up a team still equipped to overcome their recent second-round flameout," Medina wrote. "Instead, look for the Suns to address their roster needs during free agency."

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

I think Indy mentioned something along the lines of this earlier, but if Ivey is still available at #4, it sort of makes a lot of sense for both teams to do something along the lines of Sabonis + #4 for Ayton, right? Or, the Kings being the Kings, maybe they keep the #4 and give Sabonis and Mitchell (or Fox)?

I just think you replace some of the Ayton production with Sabonis, and you possibly get the PG of the future in Ivey to serve as an understudy with CP3 and take occasional starting spots to let CP3 rest.

And I say all of this as someone who would prefer to keep Ayton around.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:58 am
Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:55 am
Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:51 am
ShelC wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:48 am
Suns Twitter thinking it's smokescreen so that the Suns let teams know which prospect(s) they'd be interested in for a potential DA trade.
How so? The rumor doesn’t say who we want…and can’t we just tell teams straight up?

Can't James Jones say, hey if you end up with so and so, we’d be more likely to agree to a S&T for Ayton with you.
I think that is tampering/collusion.
Is it? Why? If we’re not including Ayton in the discussion it seems fine…but I don’t know the specific rules.
Maybe that is just their way of avoiding tampering charges later by saying they were talking about Cam and DEFINITELY NOT AYTON. :)

Indy

Post by Indy »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:20 am
I think Indy mentioned something along the lines of this earlier, but if Ivey is still available at #4, it sort of makes a lot of sense for both teams to do something along the lines of Sabonis + #4 for Ayton, right? Or, the Kings being the Kings, maybe they keep the #4 and give Sabonis and Mitchell (or Fox)?

I just think you replace some of the Ayton production with Sabonis, and you possibly get the PG of the future in Ivey to serve as an understudy with CP3 and take occasional starting spots to let CP3 rest.

I don't know who said this, but it seems like Monty and Jones (and probably Book and CamP) would prefer a floor spacing big that can make plays. But honestly Chris Paul has always played (and maximized) rim runners/lob threats. Wonder if there is a power dynamic there...

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:21 am
Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:58 am
Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:55 am
Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:51 am
ShelC wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:48 am
Suns Twitter thinking it's smokescreen so that the Suns let teams know which prospect(s) they'd be interested in for a potential DA trade.
How so? The rumor doesn’t say who we want…and can’t we just tell teams straight up?

Can't James Jones say, hey if you end up with so and so, we’d be more likely to agree to a S&T for Ayton with you.
I think that is tampering/collusion.
Is it? Why? If we’re not including Ayton in the discussion it seems fine…but I don’t know the specific rules.
Maybe that is just their way of avoiding tampering charges later by saying they were talking about Cam and DEFINITELY NOT AYTON. :)
Well ok that does make some sense

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:23 am
wpmiller42 wrote:

I don't know who said this, but it seems like Monty and Jones (and probably Book and CamP) would prefer a floor spacing big that can make plays. But honestly Chris Paul has always played (and maximized) rim runners/lob threats. Wonder if there is a power dynamic there...
Retooling for the future isn’t the worst idea. What I would give to be a fly on the wall with the convos these guys are having.

Split T

Post by Split T »

wpmiller42 wrote:

I’d trade with Sacramento, but I don’t think you’d get Sabonis and 4…Sacramento apparently wants to win so I think they’d want to keep Sabonis and Fox…though Ayton and Sabonis don’t seem like a good fit. Barnes, Holmes and #4 would do it for me though. We could throw in Crowder.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:44 am
wpmiller42 wrote:

I’d trade with Sacramento, but I don’t think you’d get Sabonis and 4…Sacramento apparently wants to win so I think they’d want to keep Sabonis and Fox…though Ayton and Sabonis don’t seem like a good fit. Barnes, Holmes and #4 would do it for me though. We could throw in Crowder.
I am the other side of this--At this point I would do Sabonis for Ayton straight up.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:56 am
Here's the blurb, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense since we don't need to free up cap space to re-sign Cam or DA. Also not sure it even makes sense for the Pels since they have Jones and Murphy who are kind of similar to Cam. Maybe this would be part of a larger move somehow?

It only works if this is part of a plan to stock up on assets that can be moved for a superstar like KD. Cam is a known quantity without a ton of upside: he is what he is for the most part at 26 years old. Great 3 point shooter, ok handles, can dunk a little, solid defender, works hard within a system. Dangling the 8th pick in a trade is a lot more salivating.

If I see this move, it makes me much more likely to believe there's something cooking for KD.

Or, Sarver's just being cheap. That's probably an even better explanation.

Indy

Post by Indy »

How many #8 picks in the last 10 years are better than Cam? I am not sure the Nets would like that more than Cam if they were trading KD and Kyrie walks.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:27 am
How many #8 picks in the last 10 years are better than Cam? I am not sure the Nets would like that more than Cam if they were trading KD and Kyrie walks.
It's a perceived value thing with human psychology. Some young athletic kid with tons of upside (Dyson) seems more appealing than a known quantity that's good but not great. It's like buying lottery tickets. We know intellectually and mathematically that it's a bad investment, but we buy them anyway because "WHAT IF WE HIT THE JACKPOT!"

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yeah, I get the psychology and I fall into that trap at times too. I guess I am not sure that is how Marks thinks.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:41 am
Yeah, I get the psychology and I fall into that trap at times too. I guess I am not sure that is how Marks thinks.
If you're rebuilding, it's better to roll the dice and hope for a star. If you're trying to round out a championship caliber club, you go with the numbers and known values. (i.e. swing for the fences when you got nothing to lose, take the infield single when you need a run in the bottom of the 9th and its tied.)

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Wally_West wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:55 pm
Hmmm

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

I honestly like Brogdon, but clearly not as much as some of these other teams...

Split T

Post by Split T »

Wally_West wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:56 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Hmmm
It’s the same report as before, Lowe had Givony on and he’s the one who wrote the mock draft that mentioned it. Just wanting to clarify so people don’t think Lowe is also reporting it.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Wally_West wrote:
If we’re interested into just buying our way into the draft, Minny might be interesting option with 3 second round picks.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:15 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:56 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Hmmm
It’s the same report as before, Lowe had Givony on and he’s the one who wrote the mock draft that mentioned it. Just wanting to clarify so people don’t think Lowe is also reporting it.
Damn lol