2022 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
User avatar
Flagrant Fowl
Posts: 8595
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:04 am
Location: Haeundae, Busan, South Korea

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

virtual9mm wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:52 pm
I'm very happy to see that none of the knee-jerk Ayton trades proposed by the fans came to fruition. Unless there's actually a good trade out there, I say that the Suns simply match an Ayton offer.
An Ayton trade was never going to happen during the draft, so you were probably worried for no reason.
UOducks4life in a previous life. Valar Morghulis.

User avatar
Flagrant Fowl
Posts: 8595
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:04 am
Location: Haeundae, Busan, South Korea

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I was so excited for Louis King going into his freshman and only season at Oregon. He's always looked the part, but hasn't been able to figure it out. Kinda reminds me of Earl Clark.

UOducks4life in a previous life. Valar Morghulis.

User avatar
ShelC
Posts: 9796
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:00 am

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread

Post by ShelC »

Disappointed but not surprised. I just don't think this front office values the draft, at least not while we're winning and the roster is more or less set. Midway thru the 1st round I felt like all the "trying to buy into the draft" would end up being BS. Also felt like Jones' remarks after the draft were some damage control after that ESPN article. And now all of a sudden Gambo is getting info from the FO when he's been shut out since Jones took over? Seems a bit odd.

I get not wanting to waste money or assets on a guy who may be at the end of the bench and not part of the rotation, but we're not going to win forever and teams are already getting better, longer, more athletic (Portland, Houston, NOLA). We did stuff like this during the 7SOL era and it bit us. Passing on the draft always seems shortsighted to me.

User avatar
Mori Chu
Posts: 15974
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:27 am
Disappointed but not surprised. I just don't think this front office values the draft, at least not while we're winning and the roster is more or less set. Midway thru the 1st round I felt like all the "trying to buy into the draft" would end up being BS. Also felt like Jones' remarks after the draft were some damage control after that ESPN article. And now all of a sudden Gambo is getting info from the FO when he's been shut out since Jones took over? Seems a bit odd.

I get not wanting to waste money or assets on a guy who may be at the end of the bench and not part of the rotation, but we're not going to win forever and teams are already getting better, longer, more athletic (Portland, Houston, NOLA). We did stuff like this during the 7SOL era and it bit us. Passing on the draft always seems shortsighted to me.
But at least we got LANDRY SHAMET with our draft pick!

User avatar
TOO
Posts: 6565
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:21 pm

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread

Post by TOO »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:20 am
ShelC wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:27 am
Disappointed but not surprised. I just don't think this front office values the draft, at least not while we're winning and the roster is more or less set. Midway thru the 1st round I felt like all the "trying to buy into the draft" would end up being BS. Also felt like Jones' remarks after the draft were some damage control after that ESPN article. And now all of a sudden Gambo is getting info from the FO when he's been shut out since Jones took over? Seems a bit odd.

I get not wanting to waste money or assets on a guy who may be at the end of the bench and not part of the rotation, but we're not going to win forever and teams are already getting better, longer, more athletic (Portland, Houston, NOLA). We did stuff like this during the 7SOL era and it bit us. Passing on the draft always seems shortsighted to me.
But at least we got LANDRY SHAMET with our draft pick!
PROVEN WIN NOW NBA PLAYER LANDRY SHAMET!

User avatar
The Bobster
Posts: 5808
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:04 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread

Post by The Bobster »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:20 am
ShelC wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:27 am
Disappointed but not surprised. I just don't think this front office values the draft, at least not while we're winning and the roster is more or less set. Midway thru the 1st round I felt like all the "trying to buy into the draft" would end up being BS. Also felt like Jones' remarks after the draft were some damage control after that ESPN article. And now all of a sudden Gambo is getting info from the FO when he's been shut out since Jones took over? Seems a bit odd.

I get not wanting to waste money or assets on a guy who may be at the end of the bench and not part of the rotation, but we're not going to win forever and teams are already getting better, longer, more athletic (Portland, Houston, NOLA). We did stuff like this during the 7SOL era and it bit us. Passing on the draft always seems shortsighted to me.
But at least we got LANDRY SHAMET with our draft pick!
That and the right to pay him $10 million a year.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

User avatar
Flagrant Fowl
Posts: 8595
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:04 am
Location: Haeundae, Busan, South Korea

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Landry Shamet nor his contract are a problem.
UOducks4life in a previous life. Valar Morghulis.

User avatar
Wally_West
Posts: 5256
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:12 pm

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Wally_West »

I’m not worked up that we couldn’t trade into the draft. The 4 players James Jones had on his draft board were long gone by mid second round and I don’t think there was any other players worth trading for that Monty was cool with cream pieing his daughter. It is what it is.

It’s better we save our assets for potentially bigger fish anyway. *cough* KD *cough*

User avatar
The Bobster
Posts: 5808
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:04 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread

Post by The Bobster »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:54 am
Landry Shamet nor his contract are a problem.
They're also not part of any kind of solution unless you can find a deal where we throw him in as filler.

He really has only one outstanding skill, and his doesn't do that enough to make him a dependable rotation player.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

User avatar
TOO
Posts: 6565
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:21 pm

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread

Post by TOO »

The Bobster wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:51 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:54 am
Landry Shamet nor his contract are a problem.
They're also not part of any kind of solution unless you can find a deal where we throw him in as filler.

He really has only one outstanding skill, and his doesn't do that enough to make him a dependable rotation player.
I guess it's not outstanding then?

User avatar
specialsauce
Posts: 5962
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread

Post by specialsauce »

Shamet is a 9th man making 6th man money. Poor resource allocation

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 18958
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Indy »

Landry took the most 3PA/36 of any rotation player on the team and hit them as well as anyone except CamJ/Book. The problem is he was our #1 scoring option off the bench for our back court. He needed to take more shots.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 18958
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:51 pm
Shamet is a 9th man making 6th man money. Poor resource allocation
Not this season. He was making <4M. Next year is when he starts making 7th/8th man money at the MLE level (9.6M).

User avatar
bajanguy008
Posts: 5935
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:28 pm
Location: Barbados, Caribbean

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread

Post by bajanguy008 »

Just wanna show Melton some love
He catches my eye more often than not when we played the Grizz and he's far from the hesitant to shoot dude he was while he was here.
I have no issues with that trade
His 3pt shot was off in the playoffs so the highlights are a little flattering but the shot selection alone shows a guy playing totally different confidence wise. His D is obviously still crazy

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

User avatar
specialsauce
Posts: 5962
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:00 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:51 pm
Shamet is a 9th man making 6th man money. Poor resource allocation
Not this season. He was making <4M. Next year is when he starts making 7th/8th man money at the MLE level (9.6M).
Alkkkkshualllyyyyyy.

User avatar
specialsauce
Posts: 5962
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:58 pm
Landry took the most 3PA/36 of any rotation player on the team and hit them as well as anyone except CamJ/Book. The problem is he was our #1 scoring option off the bench for our back court. He needed to take more shots.
He’s paid to be our #1 scoring option off the bench. So therefore it is the expectation.

Don’t Akshually me.

User avatar
Shabazz
Posts: 5779
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:16 pm

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Shabazz »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:09 pm
Just wanna show Melton some love
He catches my eye more often than not when we played the Grizz and he's far from the hesitant to shoot dude he was while he was here.
I have no issues with that trade
His 3pt shot was off in the playoffs so the highlights are a little flattering but the shot selection alone shows a guy playing totally different confidence wise. His D is obviously still crazy

That was an awful James Jones trade.
Targets: KD, Schroder, Micic, Favors, Kemba, Bembry, Paschall, Watanabe, Avdija, Keita BD, K. Hayes, J. Isaac, Jalen Johnson, K. Lewis, Maledon, Metu, Olynyk, Quickley, P. Reed, JRE, J Vanderbilt, Aaron Wiggins

User avatar
Wally_West
Posts: 5256
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:12 pm

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Wally_West »

Is Landry Shamet better than Jevon Carter? Yes.


But how much better?

Is Shamet “trade a 1st round pick” better than Carter? I’m not sure, and the fact that we could’ve gotten Herb Jones, a solid rotation piece, who could’ve also been extra asset for a trade, is terrible. James Jones last 2 drafts have actually been detrimental to this team’s future. The missed Haliburton pick is gonna haunt this franchise. I don’t know what realistically Jones could’ve done last night but his draft night decisions in general are extremely worrisome.

User avatar
djy2j
Posts: 2404
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:10 am

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread

Post by djy2j »

Wally_West wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:04 am
I’m not worked up that we couldn’t trade into the draft. The 4 players James Jones had on his draft board were long gone by mid second round and I don’t think there was any other players worth trading for that Monty was cool with cream pieing his daughter. It is what it is.

It’s better we save our assets for potentially bigger fish anyway. *cough* KD *cough*
I'm more annoyed that they don't even seem to take the draft seriously. They barely even fill out a Summer League roster and when they do it's with a bunch of upper 20 year olds who can't even kick it in the GLeague. This team is strapped for cash and has several needs to fill. Wouldn't it be ideal to find something of use on a rookie minimum contract if possible?

Ron Harper Jr, Kofi Kockburn, Johnny Juzang, Trevion Williams, Brady Manek. These are all undrafted dudes who excelled at a high level of college ball. You're telling me James Jones knows for a fact that they aren't going to be good in the NBA? I call BS.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 18958
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:18 pm
Indy wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:00 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:51 pm
Shamet is a 9th man making 6th man money. Poor resource allocation
Not this season. He was making <4M. Next year is when he starts making 7th/8th man money at the MLE level (9.6M).
Alkkkkshualllyyyyyy.
When you are wrong you are wrong.

Post Reply