2022 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Wally_West

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Wally_West »

Thoughts?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Here's the blurb, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense since we don't need to free up cap space to re-sign Cam or DA. Also not sure it even makes sense for the Pels since they have Jones and Murphy who are kind of similar to Cam. Maybe this would be part of a larger move somehow?

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t really like the idea of trading Cam for a pick…the only way I think I’d be cool with it is if it’s to get a prospect for another team in a trade for a star. I’m also not that familiar with the players in that range. I’m sure we could find someone with a higher upside than Cam, but they are almost definitely going to be a worse player in year 1.

Split T

Post by Split T »

From what I’ve been reading…it is feeling like there’s a top 7 in this draft(Jabari, Chet, Paulo, Ivey, Murray, Daniels, Mathurin).

If that’s how the top 7 goes…who would the suns target at 8?

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:56 am
Here's the blurb, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense since we don't need to free up cap space to re-sign Cam or DA. Also not sure it even makes sense for the Pels since they have Jones and Murphy who are kind of similar to Cam. Maybe this would be part of a larger move somehow?

Yeah, this is why I don't get much of what ESPN puts out. Resigning Cam and/or DA is not a cap space issue. It may be a, "...your owner is too cheap to pay what it takes to really compete for a championship..." thing, but it's not a cap space issue.

And I love Jae, but this type of move is also very short-sighted. Next year, Cam should be starting, not Jae, assuming we mostly stand pat personnel wise.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Well it said salary cap flexibility…that’s different than salary cap space. Perhaps it means we’re exploring ways on avoiding the luxury tax in 2023

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I think Johnson's probably going to price himself out of the Suns future plans. He'll probably ask for $20 million and you can find shooters for a lot cheaper than that. I don't think he has the size or athleticism to play PF, and he's blocked by Bridges at SF. He's a great piece to have to play both, but there's only so much money to go around.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea they may not be close on an extension, which would be unfortunate.

There's also a ton we don't know, but there haven't been reports of the Suns working out any of the later lotto guys or being at their workouts. Doesn't mean they haven't been doing their homework tho.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I get it, I love Cam Johnson, but paying him, Mikal, and Ayton would mean about 75 million for guys that can’t create their own shot.. Still, I don’t believe the rumor, mostly because I don’t believe we are trying to keep Ayton.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:11 am
I get it, I love Cam Johnson, but paying him, Mikal, and Ayton would mean about 75 million for guys that can’t create their own shot.. Still, I don’t believe the rumor, mostly because I don’t believe we are trying to keep Ayton.
I think Cam and Mikal both have the ability and desire to be able to create their own shot, and I think they'll both get there in the next couple of years. I actually think I've seen it more from Cam not settling all the time for 3s and being able to put the ball on the floor and get to the rim; plus, he's sneaky athletic. I could see him being able to get a nice turn-around. I'll be sad if we can't keep him because I think he can develop into a really great all around player.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I don't think that rumor is true. Probably someone lying to either increase the value of DA or draft picks. Because Cam is worth more than a first rounder, and it seems pretty clear the Suns will match any offer DA gets with the preference being a sign and trade.

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:05 am
I think Johnson's probably going to price himself out of the Suns future plans. He'll probably ask for $20 million and you can find shooters for a lot cheaper than that. I don't think he has the size or athleticism to play PF, and he's blocked by Bridges at SF. He's a great piece to have to play both, but there's only so much money to go around.
That is interesting because I see Cam as too big for the 3 spot against most opponents, but decent sized for the 4. I mean he does need to add some weight/strength, but I think his size is good for it.

Oh, and I do think a 20M/yr contract would be too much. I mean if he never got injured and finished the season like he played up to the Knicks game, I would say 20M is too low. But we all saw the Cam that came back after the injury and that guy isn't worth 15M. I think it will be somewhere in between.
Last edited by Indy on Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Split T

Post by Split T »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:40 am
Split T wrote:
I think Cam and Mikal both have the ability and desire to be able to create their own shot, and I think they'll both get there in the next couple of years. I actually think I've seen it more from Cam not settling all the time for 3s and being able to put the ball on the floor and get to the rim; plus, he's sneaky athletic. I could see him being able to get a nice turn-around. I'll be sad if we can't keep him because I think he can develop into a really great all around player.
They can attack close outs, but that requires someone else to break down the defense. I haven’t seen them be able to initiate offense and run pick n roll outside of a few sporadic instances.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:45 am
wpmiller42 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:40 am
Split T wrote:
They can attack close outs, but that requires someone else to break down the defense. I haven’t seen them be able to initiate offense and run pick n roll outside of a few sporadic instances.
Mikal might just not have that confidence in him. And neither guy can dribble.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Suns Twitter thinking it's smokescreen so that the Suns let teams know which prospect(s) they'd be interested in for a potential DA trade.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:48 am
Suns Twitter thinking it's smokescreen so that the Suns let teams know which prospect(s) they'd be interested in for a potential DA trade.
How so? The rumor doesn’t say who we want…and can’t we just tell teams straight up?

Can't James Jones say, hey if you end up with so and so, we’d be more likely to agree to a S&T for Ayton with you.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:51 am
ShelC wrote:
How so? The rumor doesn’t say who we want…and can’t we just tell teams straight up?

Can't James Jones say, hey if you end up with so and so, we’d be more likely to agree to a S&T for Ayton with you.
I think that is tampering/collusion.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:55 am
Split T wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:51 am
ShelC wrote:

I think that is tampering/collusion.
Is it? Why? If we’re not including Ayton in the discussion it seems fine…but I don’t know the specific rules.

Split T

Post by Split T »

This is how I feel