Deandre Ayton's future with the Suns?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

What do you think Deandre Ayton's immediate future is with the Suns?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:47 am

Suns keep him for the duration of the 2022-2023 season
31%
He's on the roster to start the season but is traded mid-season
8%
Suns trade him before the season starts
62%

Total votes: 26

Superbone

Deandre Ayton's future with the Suns?

Post by Superbone »

What do you think is going to happen with Ayton? Let me know if you think I'm missing an option.
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Re: Deandre Ayton's future with the Suns?

Post by TOO »

I think he's gone before the season.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think we are going to be forced to match.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:13 pm
...and then?
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:25 pm
Indy wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:13 pm
...and then?
trade him at the deadline.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

What will happen: Suns trade him before season.

What should happen: Suns match an offer and keep their options open (unless they get a great trade offer off the bat).

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:27 pm

What should happen: Suns match an offer and keep their options open (unless they get a great trade offer off the bat).
Do you think his value will go up as the season goes on?

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

I think we'll keep him, having forced to match an unfavorable offer sheet, which will also make him unlikely to be traded till next season.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:45 pm
I think we'll keep him, having forced to match an unfavorable offer sheet, which will also make him unlikely to be traded till next season.
Yep, if they match an offer they can't trade him without his consent for a year. Base year makes it complicated anyway.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Carno

Post by Carno »

I predict the Suns ultimately sign Ayton. They clearly don't see him as a max player (and I can't fault that logic), but I don't see a deal that makes the Suns a better team. In my mind, the Suns are working toward the 4 year, 5% raise max that other teams can offer rather then the 5 year 8% max they can offer. In other words, the deal they wanted last summer. They have all the leverage to get it and don't need to pay more.

Tweets about the Suns looking for a sign and trade or that they won't match are likely coming from Ayton's agent. He's posturing to get another team to offer the max, since it's quite possible that no team will offer it to him if they know that the Suns will match.

Regarding what happens after signing, that's hard to say. With a higher salary after the BYC rule expires, its easier to get a player of comparable worth, so I wouldn't exclude that from happening. The smart move is to keep their options open. But, I don't believe that a future trade will be their intent at the time of signing.

I'm more worried about what happens to Cam Johnson. But, I think the Suns make other moves to reduce salary and ultimately keep Cam.
Last edited by Carno on Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carno

Post by Carno »

The Bobster wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:54 pm
wpmiller42 wrote:
Yep, if they match an offer they can't trade him without his consent for a year. Base year makes it complicated anyway.
As I understand it, they can't trade him to the team that signed the offer sheet for one year, but they can trade him to another team after Dec 15.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Carno wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:56 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:54 pm
wpmiller42 wrote:
As I understand it, they can't trade him to the team that signed the offer sheet for one year, but they can trade him to another team after Dec 15.
I think this is right.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:31 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:27 pm

Do you think his value will go up as the season goes on?
Whether it goes up, down or stays neutral, we can extract more value from trading him then by not being subject to the BYC rules.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nice posts, Carno. You should post more often!
"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

From NBA Salary Cap FAQ (http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm) -

"If a team matches an offer sheet and retains its free agent, then for one year they cannot trade him without his consent, and during that year cannot trade him at all to the team that signed him to the offer sheet."
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

So if a team wants him, the Suns should be making it clear that they're fine with matching any offers and keeping him (even if they aren't) in order to get the best S&T offers possible.

And if Ayton really wants to go somewhere else in particular he'd better hope that team is willing to compensate the Suns fairly because there's no assurances that he'll get to choose his landing spot before his next contract runs out.

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:23 pm

"If a team matches an offer sheet and retains its free agent, then for one year they cannot trade him without his consent, and during that year cannot trade him at all to the team that signed him to the offer sheet."
So it kind of benefits both teams to do a S&T unless said team has too much cap space to actually spend it.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The Bobster wrote:

I've totally missed this part over the course of all the discussion and I think it's a huge piece of leverage for the Suns. We know Ayton wants the max and if reports are to be believed, he wants a bigger role. I think both can be achieved if the Suns match any offer, and trade him to Brooklyn under the assumption that Ayton will be sold on playing there with a bigger role.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:48 pm
The Bobster wrote:

I've totally missed this part over the course of all the discussion and I think it's a huge piece of leverage for the Suns. We know Ayton wants the max and if reports are to be believed, he wants a bigger role. I think both can be achieved if the Suns match any offer, and trade him to Brooklyn under the assumption that Ayton will be sold on playing there with a bigger role.
But matching the max offer vs what they can give him in a S&T is a difference of like 40M right?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:50 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:48 pm
The Bobster wrote:

But matching the max offer vs what they can give him in a S&T is a difference of like 40M right?
The numbers that stick in my head are 5% raises for 4 years ($131 million). Resigning him themselves would be 8% raises for a maximum of 5 years ($177 million).
Last edited by The Bobster on Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.