Is KD coming to the Suns?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Is KD coming to the Suns?

Post by Split T »

Well you can, but we’ll see if Brooklyn wants to take the risk of making him mad and bad mouthing the organization.

I do think(well hope) that most of this is bluffs and Brooklyn knows they are trading him to us and just need to drive the price up.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Lol these national reporters are clueless. Gambo reported this weeks ago. He has also said that the Nets don’t want to trade KD to the Celtics.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Saw this too

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Well, I think it's becoming very transparent that Bridges is a major sticking point in these negotiations. I don't think it's coincidence that all this talk about not including Marcus Smart and parallels with defensive guard play is coming out.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Also all the reports coming out saying the suns are out of the talks makes me think Brooklyn is leaking that to make other teams think they have a chance. But if KD and his agent have let it be known they only want to play in Phoenix, these teams probably aren’t serious in their negotiations. Brooklyn is trying to create leverage, but failing.

I listened to the flex podcast(it was mostly just be patient, James Jones knows what he’s doing stuff), but one thing that was said was Brooklyn blew it. They had KD, Kyrie, and Harden and fumbled. Now Harden is gone, Kyrie is done with Brooklyn and they have Ben Simmons who refused to play last year and just had some sort of back surgery. Brookln isn’t gonna win with KD/Curry. Any trade is a bailout for them. The suns know this and aren’t gonna offer a kings ransom to bail them out for a 34 year old who’s only played 90 games in 3 years. We’ll bail them out, but at our price, not theirs.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Brookln isn’t gonna win with KD/Curry. Any trade is a bailout for them. The suns know this and aren’t gonna offer a kings ransom to bail them out for a 34 year old who’s only played 90 games in 3 years. We’ll bail them out, but at our price, not theirs.
I mean, yeah, KD is 34 and he has played limited games in the past few years. But that description is really reductive. He's a top-5 NBA player and he scored 30 PPG last year. 30/30 NBA teams would welcome him on their roster and would trade valuable pieces for him, but for the fact that he has insisted on going to just one destination of Phoenix. It's kind of a shitty situation for Brooklyn, who can't receive commensurate value for him by getting an actual bidding war started. I want KD here, of course, but I feel bad for the Nets. Players shouldn't be able to demand both a trade AND the exact team they want to be traded to; it screws over their current team.

This leak about a Celtics package seems to have been leaked by Brooklyn to try to scare us into making a higher offer. I agree with others that Mikal is probably the sticking point. If Brooklyn is doing this stuff, that means they're starting to blink or panic. I'd say we should hold out a bit longer and then try to sweeten our pot in some kind of non-Mikal way, like one more pick or young piece.

Split T

Post by Split T »

One thing I’ve been looking at…if we wait to do any KD trade until September 5th, we can add Jock Landale to the trade. The only way that’s a big deal is it allows us to complete the trade and keep 2 of our trade pieces. What I mean by that is currently if we trade for KD and don’t include Mikal, we have to include 5 of the 6(Crowder, Saric, Shamet, Payne, CamJ, Craig). If we wait, we can add Landale to the trade and we’d be able to hold onto 2 of Craig, Payne, and CamJ. Not sure it’s a big deal, but if we want to trade for say a backup guard making one the 10-14 million range, we’d need Craig and Payne on the team to make the salaries work.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:31 am
Brookln isn’t gonna win with KD/Curry. Any trade is a bailout for them. The suns know this and aren’t gonna offer a kings ransom to bail them out for a 34 year old who’s only played 90 games in 3 years. We’ll bail them out, but at our price, not theirs.
I mean, yeah, KD is 34 and he has played limited games in the past few years. But that description is really reductive. He's a top-5 NBA player and he scored 30 PPG last year. 30/30 NBA teams would welcome him on their roster and would trade valuable pieces for him, but for the fact that he has insisted on going to just one destination of Phoenix. It's kind of a shitty situation for Brooklyn, who can't receive commensurate value for him by getting an actual bidding war started. I want KD here, of course, but I feel bad for the Nets. Players shouldn't be able to demand both a trade AND the exact team they want to be traded to; it screws over their current team.
Well I do think teams are still willing to offer up valuable pieces, but it’s the number of pieces they want that makes teams pause. Even if KD said he’d play in Toronto, I don’t think they’re offering up Scottie Barnes. Boston will trade Brown and a pick, but they aren’t unloading multiple picks. They’ve got a bright future and adding KD might make them the clear favorites, but it also shortens their window and puts them at risk of injury. KD saying he only wants the suns certainly helps, but the suns also happen to be one of the few teams in a position where going all in makes sense. Our title window is closing, if it hasn’t already, so sacrificing the future a bit actually makes sense for us. My guess is no other team is actually willing to offer up a bunch of 1sts for KD.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Can you imagine being in Nets PR and trying to sell the fans on the upcoming season after trading KD for late picks and expiring contracts?

At least Bridges gives them something to work with. Young, DPOY runner up, possible future All-Star… come see him play.

But they can’t make all this talk about a “historical haul” and then trade one of the league’s best players for a package whose best piece is Landry Shamet, because I don’t think many fans would stick around after that.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I mean the picks are way better than Landry Shamet. So is CamJ. I do think we probably ultimately have to include Mikal though.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Not if we hold out long enough. Part of me just wants Jones to offer Mikal right now and get this thing over with, though. :lol:

Cap

Post by Cap »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:50 am
I mean the picks are way better than Landry Shamet.
If you count all the picks as one “piece,” it’s a better piece than Shamet. If each pick is a piece, close call.
So is CamJ.
Probably. Depends what he gets paid.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Shams saying the Celtics offering Brown + Smart and multiple picks would beat anything we could offer. Not looking good.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

That's fine. Then KD can demand a trade from Boston to Phoenix.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Wally_West wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:41 am
Shams saying the Celtics offering Brown + Smart and multiple picks would beat anything we could offer. Not looking good.
KD has to want to go there and BK has to want to trade him to a division rival. They may not care as much about the latter since he's older and they're not really contending at the moment, but still.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Wally_West wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:41 am
It could, but Boston isn’t offering that and nor should they.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/2 ... rant-Trade
The Phoenix Suns have been "all but eliminated" from a trade for Kevin Durant, reports Shams Charania of The Athletic.

The Suns were the team widely considered atop Durant's wish list for a trade, but their ability to do a one-on-one trade was always unlikely and now they cannot include Deandre Ayton in any outgoing package after they matched a four-year, $133 million offer sheet he signed with the Indiana Pacers.

The Boston Celtics, Toronto Raptors and Miami Heat are the three teams leading the pursuit of Durant.
:lol:

Split T

Post by Split T »

Cap wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:18 am
Split T wrote:
If you count all the picks as one “piece,” it’s a better piece than Shamet. If each pick is a piece, close call.
So is CamJ.
I think every individual pick is certainly better than Shamet. Brooklyn literally just traded Shamet to us for the 29th pick last year, and that was before he got paid. I think Shamet would be the least attractive piece in the trade and Brooklyn might actually see him as a negative. I’d imagine they want young talent, picks, and expiring. Shamet is maybe young, but he is a borderline rotation guy that shouldn’t be playing minutes on a contender in the playoffs and he’s on the books for 2 years.

CamJ is way way more valuable than Shamet. And I think those ‘27 and ‘29 suns 1sts are juicy. The suns could be absolutely anything at that point and CP3/KD would certainly be gone. Our young core would be in their early to mid 30’s, if they are even still around. We could be good, but we could be absolute trash.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:21 pm
Cap wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:18 am
Split T wrote:
So is CamJ.
I think every individual pick is certainly better than Shamet. Brooklyn literally just traded Shamet to us for the 29th pick last year, and that was before he got paid. I think Shamet would be the least attractive piece in the trade and Brooklyn might actually see him as a negative. I’d imagine they want young talent, picks, and expiring. Shamet is maybe young, but he is a borderline rotation guy that shouldn’t be playing minutes on a contender in the playoffs and he’s on the books for 2 years.

CamJ is way way more valuable than Shamet. And I think those ‘27 and ‘29 suns 1sts are juicy. The suns could be absolutely anything at that point and CP3/KD would certainly be gone. Our young core would be in their early to mid 30’s, if they are even still around. We could be good, but we could be absolute trash.
It’s not clear that CamJ would be all that valuable to them, unless he signs a team-friendly extension this summer. If he doesn’t, he goes to the highest bidder next year.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I disagree there. Cam would be restricted, he doesn’t go to the highest bidder. He goes wherever Brooklyn wants him to go.