Is KD coming to the Suns?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Aztec Sunsfan

Re: Is KD coming to the Suns?

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:40 am

I just hope we have a Plan B that isn't "run it back" or "Internal development." I get that we have until the trade deadline to put together our final roster, but there's very recent history (like, the last 2 seasons) of a strong regular season masking playoff deficiencies.
I’m fine with the Front Office holding his ground. Gutting the team to become another Top Heavy team is not a clear improvement or a better plan than "run it back" or "Internal development”. In fact, unless you are the 400 million Warriors, it’s looking more and more like a recipe for disaster that not even the coveted-FA-destination Lakers were capable to pull it off. And Lacob is already cringing on the perspective of a $500 million price tag coming their way.

Of course it will be underwhelming, but even the Celtics went through a similar development of overachievement that lead them to believe they have arrived, then underachieving to a degree were the media pundits started circling like vultures talking about breaking them up, and now they are on Top again coming from a Finals appearance.

CP3’s age is hanging over our heads, but not sure bringing KD “at any cost” would do the trick. Jeremy G’s Ayton coming to fruition could be just what we need with only requiring and a Patty Mills trade without losing our depth.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

If we'd had offered Mikal and Cam plus picks and other players, would KD be a Phoenix Sun right now?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I wouldn't say "right now", but I believe that'll be what it takes from the Suns end and will also likely need other teams to balk at giving up much due to Durant's disinterest in playing for their team.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:05 pm
I am kind of worried that trading for KD would mean bringing in a guy who has no reservations about going to the owner and demanding that the coach and GM be fired. I like Coach Monty and James Jones and wouldn't want Sarver to hypothetically fire them if KD told him to do so. And I don't like players trying to make such demands of their owners. KD is amazingly talented, but after the city put a hand-picked team around him to make him happy, now he's trying to force them to fire everyone after it didn't quickly lead to a title. I worry about taking on a player who's willing to do such a thing.
We wouldn't even be having this conversation if it weren't for Monty Williams. I don't think there's any need to worry about KD and him.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:28 pm
If we'd had offered Mikal and Cam plus picks and other players, would KD be a Phoenix Sun right now?
Yes, but we don’t need to offer that

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:18 pm
Indy wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:22 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:08 pm
Indy wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:57 am
Would you be willing to bet your job as GM and give up your good, young players to trade for a 34 year old on likely his last contract when he tells you directly he doesn't want to play for you? I mean he is doing this to a Brooklyn team that he chose just a short time ago, and just gave him a new max contract. Why would you think he wouldn't do this to you immediately?
It's actually the first time he's ever asked out. Otherwise, he fulfilled all of his contracts. I may be naive, but I don't see him requesting a trade to Phoenix and then a trade from Phoenix soon after.

Ultimately, I would do it because the name of the game is winning a championship and if we can keep one of our key wings (even Jae), then a CP/Book/Jae/KD/Ayton lineup gives us a better chance of that than a lineup with Mikal and Cam. We're also not giving up all of our young players. We just locked in our only actual good young player for 4 years.
Sorry, that hypothetical was for Boston. I should have quoted Wally's post on it.
Depends what the trade is, but I think they should as well.
I guess then my question stands. Why would you trade so much for a player that specifically said he doesn't want to play for you, and has just shown he is willing to publicly go to the owner and say "trade me" after just signing a new max contract?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:34 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:09 pm
I’m so tired of all this back and forth. It’s ridiculous. We have hacks posting “breaking news” that don’t know anything about anything. And we have a 50 page thread that says nothing different from page 1. What a colossal waste of time and energy.
For all except one fanbase, every year is a colossal waste of time, energy and money. But we keep on doing it anyway, so let’s go for a 100 pages thread before all is said and done!!!
We can do it! We're over half way there.
"Be Legendary."

AbeVroman

Post by AbeVroman »

Hello All! Fun to see so many of the OGs still here!!

Doesn't the simplest thing seem like the below, if we're willing to give up Mikal and Cam? I've seen very little about something like this....has Brooklyn or Utah said no to this? Or Suns won't do it?? We need to make it happen - swing for the fences. 4 years of KD and Booker is not something to pass up!

Utah - Mikal/Cam/filler/picks
Brooklyn - Mitchell/Jae/filler/picks
Phoenix - KD/filler

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:26 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Indy wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Indy wrote:
Would you be willing to bet your job as GM and give up your good, young players to trade for a 34 year old on likely his last contract when he tells you directly he doesn't want to play for you? I mean he is doing this to a Brooklyn team that he chose just a short time ago, and just gave him a new max contract. Why would you think he wouldn't do this to you immediately?
It's actually the first time he's ever asked out. Otherwise, he fulfilled all of his contracts. I may be naive, but I don't see him requesting a trade to Phoenix and then a trade from Phoenix soon after.

Ultimately, I would do it because the name of the game is winning a championship and if we can keep one of our key wings (even Jae), then a CP/Book/Jae/KD/Ayton lineup gives us a better chance of that than a lineup with Mikal and Cam. We're also not giving up all of our young players. We just locked in our only actual good young player for 4 years.
Sorry, that hypothetical was for Boston. I should have quoted Wally's post on it.
I guess then my question stands. Why would you trade so much for a player that specifically said he doesn't want to play for you, and has just shown he is willing to publicly go to the owner and say "trade me" after just signing a new max contract?
Basically, Durant is being an asshole and betraying a team that invested heavily in him, but if this behavior ends up bringing the Suns a championship in the next year or two, I’ll accept it.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AbeVroman wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:38 pm
Hello All! Fun to see so many of the OGs still here!!

Doesn't the simplest thing seem like the below, if we're willing to give up Mikal and Cam? I've seen very little about something like this....has Brooklyn or Utah said no to this? Or Suns won't do it?? We need to make it happen - swing for the fences. 4 years of KD and Booker is not something to pass up!

Utah - Mikal/Cam/filler/picks
Brooklyn - Mitchell/Jae/filler/picks
Phoenix - KD/filler
The sausage king makes an appearance! I'd hate to give up both Cam and Mikal but I'd probably do it if that's what it takes.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Indy wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Indy wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Indy wrote:

Because he's a top 3 player in the league, is underpaid on his max contract and increases your chances of winning a title.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:55 pm
Indy wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Indy wrote:
Shabazz wrote:

Because he's a top 3 player in the league, is underpaid on his max contract and increases your chances of winning a title.
Even if he doesn't want to play for you?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:07 pm
Indy wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Indy wrote:
Shabazz wrote:

Basically, Durant is being an asshole and betraying a team that invested heavily in him, but if this behavior ends up bringing the Suns a championship in the next year or two, I’ll accept it.
Yeah, I think it is a no brainer for the Suns.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Cap wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:07 pm
Indy wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Indy wrote:
Shabazz wrote:

Let’s also remember that Brooklyn was nothing before Durant chose them. Sometimes I feel the loyalty stuff doesn’t get viewed equally from both sides. Ya Brooklyn paid KD and brought in his friends, but basically any team in the league would’ve done that. KD re-upped with them and they decided they didn’t want his friends anymore(can’t blame Brooklyn there), but I don’t blame KD for not wanting to be there anymore either. Honestly I think Brooklyn would love to trade KD, getting a haul for him is the best thing they could do for that franchise, they are just using him as an asset now and to me any loyalty from either party is out the window.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

TOO

Post by TOO »

Another article that just keeps saying the same thing.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

That's what I was always afraid of...KD changes his mind too easily. If he wants to play in Boston or Philly, it's over. We can't compete with their offers.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

TOO

Post by TOO »

There's still a very real chance that KD said Phoenix or bust and this is all just fluff because nobody knows anything.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

The hot take changes every week.

So all I can assume is that nobody really has much of an idea where he'll end up.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.