Is KD coming to the Suns?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
AmareIsGod

Re: Is KD coming to the Suns?

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:01 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:29 am
Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:25 am
specialsauce wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:48 pm
We need a better guard off the bench than Shampayne. To suggest we don’t is ridiculous.
Of course we do. But our bench is not why we lost.
No? Our lack of bench didn't leave to a fully diminished and depleted guard rotation come playoffs this past season? Having to lean so much on PG3 and Booker all season because Payne, Shamet and everyone behind them couldn't give a lick of performance consistently didn't have a huge factor in why we lost?

I'd expect you of all people to see how much of a problem it was and how it led to a broken down back court late season and playoffs.
37 year old Chris Paul has some amazing games. Like, all-time great games. His 14/14 against NO was spectacular. He will easily be a first ballot HOF player. And even at 37 years old, he was a top 20 player in the league last year.

But you can't rely on him as your 2nd best player in the playoffs if you hope to win a championship.

Having an upgrade to your bench PG or your bench combo guard isn't going to make Chris Paul be more durable in the playoffs.

What is going to make Chris Paul more durable in the playoffs is NOT needing Chris Paul to be a top 2 player in the playoffs.

Go back and watch that Dallas series and tell me that if we just had Shamet with a 55% eFG instead of 52% we would have won and gone on to beat the Warriors and the Celtics. Even if Cam Payne was the unrealistic Cam Payne of the 2021 playoffs, we weren't beating Golden State and Boston.

Improving on your 9th and 10th guys is not how you get to be great when your #2 is 37 and under 6 feet.
Now that we gave Ayton the big boy money, let's hope he can be a reliable #2 by that point. Requires coach to figure out the best way to implement him, of course.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ayton stepping up into stardom is really the only way I see the ceiling of this team rising. I mean Mikal/CamJ, or really anyone stepping up to stardom could do it, but I just don’t see that happening with them. I hoped Mikal could be a Middleton like offensive player, but at this point I don’t think that’s happening. CamJ has more offensive potential to unlock, but I also don’t see stardom unless it’s in a Klay Thompson like way, but even then he isn’t the defender Klay is.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Counting on Ayton to be a superstar is a fools errand and is why James Jones was angling to use him as bait for an actual superstar.

Without adding someone to truly overtake Paul as the #2 guy on the team, the Suns are now in the Utah Jazz zone of good but not great.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:29 pm
Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:01 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:29 am
Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:25 am
specialsauce wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:48 pm
We need a better guard off the bench than Shampayne. To suggest we don’t is ridiculous.
Of course we do. But our bench is not why we lost.
No? Our lack of bench didn't leave to a fully diminished and depleted guard rotation come playoffs this past season? Having to lean so much on PG3 and Booker all season because Payne, Shamet and everyone behind them couldn't give a lick of performance consistently didn't have a huge factor in why we lost?

I'd expect you of all people to see how much of a problem it was and how it led to a broken down back court late season and playoffs.
37 year old Chris Paul has some amazing games. Like, all-time great games. His 14/14 against NO was spectacular. He will easily be a first ballot HOF player. And even at 37 years old, he was a top 20 player in the league last year.

But you can't rely on him as your 2nd best player in the playoffs if you hope to win a championship.

Having an upgrade to your bench PG or your bench combo guard isn't going to make Chris Paul be more durable in the playoffs.

What is going to make Chris Paul more durable in the playoffs is NOT needing Chris Paul to be a top 2 player in the playoffs.

Go back and watch that Dallas series and tell me that if we just had Shamet with a 55% eFG instead of 52% we would have won and gone on to beat the Warriors and the Celtics. Even if Cam Payne was the unrealistic Cam Payne of the 2021 playoffs, we weren't beating Golden State and Boston.

Improving on your 9th and 10th guys is not how you get to be great when your #2 is 37 and under 6 feet.
Now that we gave Ayton the big boy money, let's hope he can be a reliable #2 by that point. Requires coach to figure out the best way to implement him, of course.
He isn't a reliable #3 on a championship team, so I don't see how he could be a reliable 2. He can't even create for himself, much less others.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:03 pm
Counting on Ayton to be a superstar is a fools errand and is why James Jones was angling to use him as bait for an actual superstar.

Without adding someone to truly overtake Paul as the #2 guy on the team, the Suns are now in the Utah Jazz zone of good but not great.
I agree with all of that except that I think they are better at pretty much every position (even before the Jazz traded Rudy).

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:27 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

I agree with all of that except that I think they are better at pretty much every position (even before the Jazz traded Rudy).
I'm not making a player-for-player comparison, but one relative to the rest of the teams in the league.

The sum of the Suns parts cannot overcome a team with 2 or 3 superstars in a playoff series.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Ya I wouldn’t count on it at all, just the only way I see this current roster elevating to another level.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Kevin Durant Headed Towards Holdout

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/2 ... ds-Holdout
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

It's crazy that a team could get him on October 2 and only pay him $22 million this season.

I wonder if the October 1 payment date will motivate the Nets to trade him before then.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Bogut is a bogan, so of course he'd say something like that.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That's actually a hilarious and savage idea.

AbeVroman

Post by AbeVroman »

I'm going to put this here again since seems Mitchell trade talk picking up. This just seems to make sense if we're willing to give up our guys.

Doesn't the simplest thing seem like the below, if we're willing to give up Mikal and Cam? I've seen very little about something like this....has Brooklyn or Utah said no to this? Or Suns won't do it?? We need to make it happen - swing for the fences. 4 years of KD and Booker is not something to pass up!

Utah - Mikal/Cam/filler/picks
Brooklyn - Mitchell/Jae/filler/picks
Phoenix - KD/filler

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Who's getting Simmons in this deal?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:31 pm
Who's getting Simmons in this deal?
Indiana, in exchange of permanently shopped Myles Turner going to Utah.

Is Patty Mills tradeable during the offseason? Would be great to bringing him along KD.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

If it weren't for all the baggage, I think Simmons would be a great fit as the Suns PF. I know people don't like his lack of shooting (for good reason), but he can create offense and is an All-NBA level defensive player.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:53 pm
That's actually a hilarious and savage idea.
Honestly, NBA stands to lose if KD starts talking that shit. Sounds good just to make things interesting.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

The Bobster wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:56 pm
If it weren't for all the baggage, I think Simmons would be a great fit as the Suns PF. I know people don't like his lack of shooting (for good reason), but he can create offense and is an All-NBA level defensive player.
As the great Book said, if my aunt had a weiner she’d be my Uncle

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:20 pm
The Bobster wrote:
As the great Book said, if my aunt had a weiner she’d be my Uncle
There's things for that nowadays......
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

The Bobster wrote:
If Ayton was a more credible threat from outside and occasionally drew free throws, it would be a much cleaner fit.