Is KD coming to the Suns?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: Is KD coming to the Suns?

Post by JeremyG »

On July 1, league sources say Durant was owed and received an eight-figure check from the Nets — one of two massive advance payments that the disgruntled superstar is scheduled to collect from Brooklyn by Oct. 1 while he's also in the midst of lobbying the team to move him.
Is this why it’s taking so long? Teams want to wait until October 2 to trade for him so they don’t have to pay him? :lol:
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I'm going to end up hating KD again, aren't I?
"Be Legendary."

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

I saw an actual news story yesterday saying he only wants to play in Boston now.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Let's just run it back and get some freaking PG and SG depth. I'd rather watch that all season than KD playing, resting, playing, likely getting hurt, having little depth. KD has hit his ceiling. The pieces we are mentioning (Bridges, Johnson) are still well below their potential ceilings. It's really occupying way too much of our thoughts daily. "When are we getting KD? Who are we trading? Any updates?".
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

TOO

Post by TOO »

I'd rather have KD and an actual shot at a title.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

TOO wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:41 pm
No actual shot at a title with an improved depth version of the team that went to the NBA finals and then followed up with the best season in Suns history? Okay. Yeah, this team with some improvements to guard depth doesn't have an actual shot at a title. :roll:
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:59 pm
TOO wrote:
No actual shot at a title with an improved depth version of the team that went to the NBA finals and then followed up with the best season in Suns history? Okay. Yeah, this team with some improvements to guard depth doesn't have an actual shot at a title. :roll:
Chris Paul is not reliable enough to be a #2 on a championship team considering his age/health. Getting a better backup PG isn't going to fix that. We need to make sure Chris Paul is not in our top 2 players we are counting on to win a ring.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:46 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
TOO wrote:
Chris Paul is not reliable enough to be a #2 on a championship team considering his age/health. Getting a better backup PG isn't going to fix that. We need to make sure Chris Paul is not in our top 2 players we are counting on to win a ring.
Remind me who's missed more games over the last 3 seasons between KD and CP3? Who had a serious Achilles tear and has had knee problems? We're arguing that KD gives us the best chance because CP3 and durability while forgetting KD's track record. Perplexing considering the quality of posters making said argument. We need better GUARD depth. PG and SG. And not just run of the mill backups. Leverage Crowder and some other pieces.

TOO

Post by TOO »

AmareIsGod wrote:
TOO wrote:
How and whom would you acquire? There isn't anything out there going to improve the guard depth or shot creation.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
TOO wrote:
That’s not a problem since he won’t be one of our top 2 players this year. :lol:

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Barely caught it, but I think Gambo just said KD will be in the valley tonight.

TOO

Post by TOO »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:38 pm
He probably meant Hidden Valley.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

mjwang92

Post by mjwang92 »

JeremyG wrote:
You’re correct, I just listened to their podcast, that is what Gambo said, “Durant will be in the valley tonight, don’t know why. He’s not allowed to meet with the Suns. Maybe to meet a player?”

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:00 pm
Indy wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
TOO wrote:
Remind me who's missed more games over the last 3 seasons between KD and CP3? Who had a serious Achilles tear and has had knee problems? We're arguing that KD gives us the best chance because CP3 and durability while forgetting KD's track record. Perplexing considering the quality of posters making said argument. We need better GUARD depth. PG and SG. And not just run of the mill backups. Leverage Crowder and some other pieces.
Lack of guard depth didn't cost us a championship 2 years ago. And it didn't cost us the Dallas series. We need people to create shots for themselves and others. And we need our best players to play like our best players in the playoffs. That hasn't happened consistently.

As far as comparing KD to CP3, are you kidding?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

We need a better guard off the bench than Shampayne. To suggest we don’t is ridiculous.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

mjwang92 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:27 pm
JeremyG wrote:
You’re correct, I just listened to their podcast, that is what Gambo said, “Durant will be in the valley tonight, don’t know why. He’s not allowed to meet with the Suns. Maybe to meet a player?”
He's probably coming to tell Book in person he's going to play for the Celtics.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

It wouldn't be the first time we lost out on a title to the Celtics.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:48 pm
We need a better guard off the bench than Shampayne. To suggest we don’t is ridiculous.
Of course we do. But our bench is not why we lost.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:25 am
specialsauce wrote:
No? Our lack of bench didn't leave to a fully diminished and depleted guard rotation come playoffs this past season? Having to lean so much on PG3 and Booker all season because Payne, Shamet and everyone behind them couldn't give a lick of performance consistently didn't have a huge factor in why we lost?

I'd expect you of all people to see how much of a problem it was and how it led to a broken down back court late season and playoffs.

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:29 am
Indy wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:25 am
specialsauce wrote:
No? Our lack of bench didn't leave to a fully diminished and depleted guard rotation come playoffs this past season? Having to lean so much on PG3 and Booker all season because Payne, Shamet and everyone behind them couldn't give a lick of performance consistently didn't have a huge factor in why we lost?

I'd expect you of all people to see how much of a problem it was and how it led to a broken down back court late season and playoffs.
37 year old Chris Paul has some amazing games. Like, all-time great games. His 14/14 against NO was spectacular. He will easily be a first ballot HOF player. And even at 37 years old, he was a top 20 player in the league last year.

But you can't rely on him as your 2nd best player in the playoffs if you hope to win a championship.

Having an upgrade to your bench PG or your bench combo guard isn't going to make Chris Paul be more durable in the playoffs.

What is going to make Chris Paul more durable in the playoffs is NOT needing Chris Paul to be a top 2 player in the playoffs.

Go back and watch that Dallas series and tell me that if we just had Shamet with a 55% eFG instead of 52% we would have won and gone on to beat the Warriors and the Celtics. Even if Cam Payne was the unrealistic Cam Payne of the 2021 playoffs, we weren't beating Golden State and Boston.

Improving on your 9th and 10th guys is not how you get to be great when your #2 is 37 and under 6 feet.