Is KD coming to the Suns?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Is KD coming to the Suns?

Post by ShelC »

I think it's interesting (maybe telling) that Boston, Miami and Toronto keep getting thrown out there in recent KD reports. Feels like Phoenix is purposely being left out. I think KD has specifically told the Nets he wants to come here but they're doing what they can to make it seem like other teams are interested, that they have better trade options and that Phoenix isn't in the running. Also not a good look to just give in and trade a star where he wants to go to as soon as he demands it. So the Nets are playing coy.

I don't doubt Toronto (Siakam or OG) could offer a better package even without giving up Barnes. But KD has to want to play there. I don't know who Miami gives up, or how, unless there's another team(s) involved. And I think if the Cs offered up Jaylen Brown, there might've been a trade already. And would the Cs really give up a 25 yr old Brown who just helped them to the Finals for a 33-34 yr old KD? I don't think the Nets really care where they trade him because they know they won't be contending anytime soon. So sending him to an EC team probably doesn't matter as much to them. I believe they want the best package back but no team will shake up their roster or mortgage their future for an unhappy KD.

TOO

Post by TOO »

If KD only wants Phoenix, he's not going to get traded elsewhere. It's really that simple, if he only wanted Boston or anywhere else with more desirable assets, he'd have been dealt already. Suns only have junk to offer and the Nets don't want it, so they are just dragging it out.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TOO wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:25 am
If KD only wants Phoenix, he's not going to get traded elsewhere. It's really that simple, if he only wanted Boston or anywhere else with more desirable assets, he'd have been dealt already. Suns only have junk to offer and the Nets don't want it, so they are just dragging it out.
I hope we get him for junk. That means we keep Mikal too.
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Nothing else makes sense at this point, relationship is dead, no way they keep him. They just don't want bits and pieces and late picks.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:08 pm
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:23 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:14 pm

Got to believe this coming to an end soon.
Interesting, this tweet put some legs under Sham's report, silence would have been better, but it seems that the entire organization can't help itself on that regard.

Now, KD is apparently forcing things to move forward, but in what direction?

I tend to believe that KD is really angling for Phoenix, but are the Nets willing to comply? Would they go for the best deal available instead?
On the one hand, I feel like this will only embolden Tsai to not give KD what he wants (a trade to PHX). On the other, those other teams are all in the East and there’s some benefit to sending him out of conference.
Well, they did send Harden to a division rival, and one that was strong competition for them, in the middle of the season.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Indy wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:06 am
Shabazz wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Wally_West wrote:

Interesting, this tweet put some legs under Sham's report, silence would have been better, but it seems that the entire organization can't help itself on that regard.

I tend to believe that KD is really angling for Phoenix, but are the Nets willing to comply? Would they go for the best deal available instead?
On the one hand, I feel like this will only embolden Tsai to not give KD what he wants (a trade to PHX). On the other, those other teams are all in the East and there’s some benefit to sending him out of conference.
Well, they did send Harden to a division rival, and one that was strong competition for them, in the middle of the season.
It would be the prudent thing to do this time as well.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:28 am
Indy wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:06 am
Shabazz wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Wally_West wrote:

It would be the prudent thing to do this time as well.
Not at this juncture.
"Be Legendary."

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I just don’t see how we can beat Boston’s offer of Jaylen Brown. Durant can say all day that he doesn’t want to go to Boston, that he only wants Phoenix but Boston has infrastructure in place to take a risk like on him knowing there’s a potential of him holding out for a month or two if it came to that but I don’t see him doing that. The fact remains that Boston is a very good team that has gotten even better this offseason, I don’t see a legit reason why KD wouldn’t want to go there if he couldn’t get to Phoenix. Boston has a great roster, a well liked head coach, stable front office. Now with the recent developments, I don’t see why Joe Tsai or Sean Marks have incentive to help him out where he wants to go.

I’m still holding out hope but it’s really not looking good.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Wally_West wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:19 am
I just don’t see how we can beat Boston’s offer of Jaylen Brown. Durant can say all day that he doesn’t want to go to Boston, that he only wants Phoenix but Boston has infrastructure in place to take a risk like on him knowing there’s a potential of him holding out for a month or two if it came to that but I don’t see him doing that. The fact remains that Boston is a very good team that has gotten even better this offseason, I don’t see a legit reason why KD wouldn’t want to go there if he couldn’t get to Phoenix. Boston has a great roster, a well liked head coach, stable front office. Now with the recent developments, I don’t see why Joe Tsai or Sean Marks have incentive to help him out where he wants to go.

I’m still holding out hope but it’s really not looking good.
Agreed. Especially if they're willing to throw in Robert Williams, who alone is better than any player we'd send in a package.

I just hope we have a Plan B that isn't "run it back" or "Internal development." I get that we have until the trade deadline to put together our final roster, but there's very recent history (like, the last 2 seasons) of a strong regular season masking playoff deficiencies.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Would you be willing to bet your job as GM and give up your good, young players to trade for a 34 year old on likely his last contract when he tells you directly he doesn't want to play for you? I mean he is doing this to a Brooklyn team that he chose just a short time ago, and just gave him a new max contract. Why would you think he wouldn't do this to you immediately?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Indy wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:57 am
Would you be willing to bet your job as GM and give up your good, young players to trade for a 34 year old on likely his last contract when he tells you directly he doesn't want to play for you? I mean he is doing this to a Brooklyn team that he chose just a short time ago, and just gave him a new max contract. Why would you think he wouldn't do this to you immediately?
It's actually the first time he's ever asked out. Otherwise, he fulfilled all of his contracts. I may be naive, but I don't see him requesting a trade to Phoenix and then a trade from Phoenix soon after.

Ultimately, I would do it because the name of the game is winning a championship and if we can keep one of our key wings (even Jae), then a CP/Book/Jae/KD/Ayton lineup gives us a better chance of that than a lineup with Mikal and Cam. We're also not giving up all of our young players. We just locked in our only actual good young player for 4 years.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:08 pm
Indy wrote:
It's actually the first time he's ever asked out. Otherwise, he fulfilled all of his contracts. I may be naive, but I don't see him requesting a trade to Phoenix and then a trade from Phoenix soon after.

Ultimately, I would do it because the name of the game is winning a championship and if we can keep one of our key wings (even Jae), then a CP/Book/Jae/KD/Ayton lineup gives us a better chance of that than a lineup with Mikal and Cam. We're also not giving up all of our young players. We just locked in our only actual good young player for 4 years.
Sorry, that hypothetical was for Boston. I should have quoted Wally's post on it.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

I’m so tired of all this back and forth. It’s ridiculous. We have hacks posting “breaking news” that don’t know anything about anything. And we have a 50 page thread that says nothing different from page 1. What a colossal waste of time and energy.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

So why isn’t it being reported he is trying to force his way to the Suns?
Are there just no sources worth reporting about it?
Tsai, Marks not leaking that because they have nothing to gain.
KD’s agent not leaking PHX to avoid losing leverage.
Or is it just false that he’s trying to force his way here?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Indy wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:22 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:08 pm
Indy wrote:

Sorry, that hypothetical was for Boston. I should have quoted Wally's post on it.
Depends what the trade is, but I think they should as well.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

There's a lot of posturing going on right now. Stuff only leaks from people who think the leak will benefit them. IMO all the leaking about Boston, Toronto, etc. being the lead suitors might be true, but most likely it's an attempt to pressure the Suns to increase their offer. If KD were willing to go to those other teams, he would probably already be a Celtic by now. We can't reasonably match Boston's best trade package if they want to put guys like Brown on the table. So one must conclude that either Boston hasn't really offered that package or else KD hasn't agreed to play there. I think Boston would not trade for KD if he didn't explicitly agree to go there. Seeing what he's doing in BKN, you don't mess with a team that just went to the Finals to get a guy who does not want to play for you. My guess is that Boston tentatively offered Brown in a package on the condition that KD would say he'd want to come there, but that KD has not agreed to that.

To me it feels like BKN knows they have to trade KD (you can't bring him back at this point after he's demanding you fire your coach and GM). But they don't want to rush the trade since they have only one accepted trade partner (us) and we aren't offering the maximum package we could conceivably offer (Mikal, Cam, others, all the picks). So they are stalling in the hopes that either the Suns will blink and up their package, or that KD will blink and agree to be traded to other teams like Boston. And they keep leaking these rumors to try to get us to panic or get KD to consider caving. It hasn't happened yet, so we wait.

I am kind of worried that trading for KD would mean bringing in a guy who has no reservations about going to the owner and demanding that the coach and GM be fired. I like Coach Monty and James Jones and wouldn't want Sarver to hypothetically fire them if KD told him to do so. And I don't like players trying to make such demands of their owners. KD is amazingly talented, but after the city put a hand-picked team around him to make him happy, now he's trying to force them to fire everyone after it didn't quickly lead to a title. I worry about taking on a player who's willing to do such a thing.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Win a title and that's all solved.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

SunsRIt wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:09 pm
I’m so tired of all this back and forth. It’s ridiculous. We have hacks posting “breaking news” that don’t know anything about anything. And we have a 50 page thread that says nothing different from page 1. What a colossal waste of time and energy.
For all except one fanbase, every year is a colossal waste of time, energy and money. But we keep on doing it anyway, so let’s go for a 100 pages thread before all is said and done!!!