Ayton agrees to offer sheet with Indiana

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: Ayton agrees to offer sheet with Indiana

Post by JeremyG »

Highlights:

* Fastest matching he’s ever seen

* No player option, no trade kicker, no advance money—just a straight contract (I wonder if that was owner Herb Simon insisting on that?)

* Suns luxury tax bill is at $32M, which means Ayton costs them $63 million this season

* KD trade to Phoenix would need a third team involved

* Thinks KD is in Brooklyn when training camp starts
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Cap

Post by Cap »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:21 pm

According to the trade machine, we can still do it with Bridges, Johnson, Crowder and/or Saric, and a bunch of picks, assuming Marks will accept that.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:20 am
JeremyG wrote:

According to the trade machine, we can still do it with Bridges, Johnson, Crowder and/or Saric, and a bunch of picks, assuming Marks will accept that.
We can do it without Bridges or CamJ (we only need to get to 35.3M) by sending Crowder + Saric + Shamet + CamP + Torrey = 10.2+9.2+9.6+6+5.1=40.1.

:twisted:

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya it’s easy to do contract wise…I think Brooklyn probably either wants a better young prospect than we have to offer or more picks. Moving Crowder to a 3rd team for a 1st could be an avenue.

I don’t know how they feel about Cam J and/or Mikal either. If they’d rather have picks, I feel like a team like OKC, HOU, or NOP might give up multiple picks for 1 of them. NY could as well if they don’t get Mitchell.

Trying to get Mitchell from Utah with our picks could be another avenue, but that brings the Simmons issue up again. Finding a spot for him and getting value to Brooklyn for him would be tough. I wonder if Indy would be interested with their cap space?

Split T

Post by Split T »

If Mikal has to be a part of it anyways and Brooklyn doesn’t love him, what about some deal that sends him to Houston for a player(Tate? Can he be traded?) and 2 of Brooklyn’s own picks back.

I feel like Houston would love to add Mikal to their Jalen Green/Jabari Smith core.

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

I'd be curious as to what would happen if KD basically told the Nets-trade me to the Suns, that is the only place I want to go and I won't suit up for the Nets again. With the whole player empowerment thing, KD actually has some leverage. Not saying that a pupu platter if expirings and Cam J would get it done, but Bridges/Cam J/Crowder etc and picks may be all that the Nets can get if it comes down to it.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:27 am
Cap wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

We can do it without Bridges or CamJ (we only need to get to 35.3M) by sending Crowder + Saric + Shamet + CamP + Torrey = 10.2+9.2+9.6+6+5.1=40.1.

And a bunch of draft assets coming our way, assuming Sean Marks hates his employer. Then he can waive all those guys he got in trade so they can resign with us. Let’s get Irving and Simmons too while we’re at it.

Cap

Post by Cap »

BigLewy wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:35 am
I'd be curious as to what would happen if KD basically told the Nets-trade me to the Suns, that is the only place I want to go and I won't suit up for the Nets again. With the whole player empowerment thing, KD actually has some leverage.
He’s under contract for basically the rest of his career. Sitting it out would be equivalent to retiring. You think he looks like somebody who’s ready to retire?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:44 am
BigLewy wrote:
I'd be curious as to what would happen if KD basically told the Nets-trade me to the Suns, that is the only place I want to go and I won't suit up for the Nets again. With the whole player empowerment thing, KD actually has some leverage.
He’s under contract for basically the rest of his career. Sitting it out would be equivalent to retiring. You think he looks like somebody who’s ready to retire?
They don't want to pay him 200M to sit. And he can find some way to still get paid while on their roster and not playing if he really wanted to.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I just don’t think there’s any chance Brooklyn would risk not moving him. Imagine the backlash they’d get? KD did them a huge favor picking them when they’ve never really been a destination franchise. You can’t turn around and hold him hostage like that. I think there’s also a good chance he signed his most recent extension under the idea that Brooklyn would then take care of Harden and Kyrie. Well the vaccine season threw those plans off and while Brooklyn would be in the right to change their minds on Kyrie, I think it’s a very bad look to tell KD, sorry but you signed here already, you’re staying.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

If only he hadn't signed the extension, then decided to sign with Phoenix for the TPMLE. :P

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:54 am
Cap wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:44 am
BigLewy wrote:
They don't want to pay him 200M to sit. And he can find some way to still get paid while on their roster and not playing if he really wanted to.
Can you imagine KD making up some Ben Simmons style “mental health” bullshit*? I can’t.

He wants to be here. Doesn’t mean he’s going to end his career to retaliate for not getting his way.

This is Kevin Durant we’re talking about. Wherever he finds himself, he’s going to play. And he’s going to play great.

* Edit: I’m not saying Simmons’ issues are bullshit. His health issues may be legit, I don’t know. But if Durant tried to pull it, it would be bullshit.
Last edited by Cap on Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:27 am
Cap wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

That's the dream, and then go out and find a good backup PG. One person's trash is another one's treasure, haha.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Been thinking about it and here’s how I think things happened:

We told Duffy we’d bring Ayton back at some sort of near max deal(thinking like 4/110). We probably knew Duffy wouldn’t accept that and said well go find a max offer and we’ll match. They found Indy but Indy wanted to work a sign and trade, only we didn’t like what Indy was willing to offer. Indy knew we’d match, but they did a favor to Duffy and signed the offer sheet anyways and now Duffy owes the Pacers a favor. I’ll watch closely the Duffy-Indy connection in the future.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:43 pm

We told Duffy we’d bring Ayton back at some sort of near max deal(thinking like 4/110). We probably knew Duffy wouldn’t accept that and said well go find a max offer and we’ll match. They found Indy but Indy wanted to work a sign and trade, only we didn’t like what Indy was willing to offer. Indy knew we’d match, but they did a favor to Duffy and signed the offer sheet anyways and now Duffy owes the Pacers a favor. I’ll watch closely the Duffy-Indy connection in the future.
Myles Turner 👀

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yeah I assumed it meant that Duffy would find a good deal for Turner. Because you know we told Duffy we would match any deal Ayton got, just like we told him last year we would give him this same contract but with 8% raises and he turned it down.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Split T wrote:

Didn’t they have to waive-stretch some players to make the offer sheet? It will affect their cap in coming years. That’s a pretty big favor. They must have had some hope that we wouldn’t match.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Yeah, we told Duffy we would match but that doesn't mean Duffy told Indiana. :P

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:42 pm
Yeah, we told Duffy we would match but that doesn't mean Duffy told Indiana. :P
this.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Cap wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:33 pm
Split T wrote:

Didn’t they have to waive-stretch some players to make the offer sheet? It will affect their cap in coming years. That’s a pretty big favor. They must have had some hope that we wouldn’t match.
They did, but they were all minor players with small contracts. Basically took 4 million off this years books and added 2 million to next year and the year after. Nik Stauskus, Juwan Morgan, and Malik Fitts. I don’t think they were planning on anything from them.