Suns Media Day 2022 - Monday, September 26th

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Suns Media Day 2022 - Monday, September 26th

Post by INFORMER »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:43 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:30 pm
Is that a real quote?
Yes, I'm not making it up! :lol:

"That word isn't acceptable anywhere, and I hope we can find a way to eliminate it from the vocabulary in general."

I really hope Jones is being sincere when he says that. I don't think I have ever agreed with something he has said more than I do with that statement.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:15 pm
I don't have a problem with a player being honest. It's easy to follow the mob mentality and just trash the guy just so you don't get accused of tolerating or supporting his bad behavior. But if you honestly didn't have that experience, I don't have a problem with someone saying so. Too many are in too much of a rush to paint people as all bad or irredeemable.
And too often people want to extract a pound of flesh and expect everyone else to feel the same that they do.

I haven't seen anyone here who wants Sarver around anymore in any capacity, but I think it's okay for people to have different opinions on what the punishment for his actions should be. It would be easier to close the book if he showed some contrition though, rather than trying to blame "cancel culture"
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I think that's the danger in having "cancellation" being the first and only recourse in these situations. Too many times it leads to the perpetrator and those less sensitive to the wrongs committed to focus on the unfairness of the punishment rather than focusing correcting the behavior.

Now I am not suggesting that firings, "cancellations," and other similar action is never warranted; I am just troubled how quickly people resort to those measures, especially as the first course of action.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Some actions require it though - sometimes you have to cut out a cancer.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:14 pm
Uncle_Gene wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:28 pm
Do we need a PF more or a backup PG ?
Yes.
Does that mean both ?
Phoenix Suns 2023-24NBA Champions !

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

The Bobster wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:19 pm
Some actions require it though - sometimes you have to cut out a cancer.
Agreed.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Uncle_Gene wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:19 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:14 pm
Uncle_Gene wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:28 pm
Do we need a PF more or a backup PG ?
Yes.
Does that mean both ?
Yes. :)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:22 pm
ShelC wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:45 am
I'm not getting a doom and gloom sense of things just yet and I don't think the offseason was "disastrous". You can't make big moves every offseason and, aside from a KD trade, you're not going to win a title with one trade in July/August.
It's not that the Suns needed to make a big move; they just needed to improve on the glaring holes in this roster. And they didn't. The followed up surrendering a 2-0 lead in the NBA finals with surrendering a 2-0 lead to a significantly inferior opponent in the conference semifinals. The player they've placed all their eggs in can't stay healthy in the playoffs and is getting closer to 40.

So to address these trends that are working against the the team, the GM brings in Jock Landale, Josh Okogie, and Damian Lee.

Yeah, that is mission accomplished.

Maybe disaster is too strong of a word. But at best the offseason was insufficient or lackluster.
But I don't think it was for lack of trying or being unaware of the weaknesses. We're not going to trade CP and upgrade that position right now and teams aren't exactly hot for Payne or Shamet to where we could upgrade those spots via trade. For better or worse, we committed ourselves to those guys being part of the core/rotation. Bigger moves like KD and Barnes fell thru. I also don't think guys like Montrezl Harrell or Schroder were realistic options as FAs. So we brought the same group back hoping to make some incremental improvements until something else comes along. This isn't Ryan McDonaugh thinking he solved his roster issues with Isaiah Canaan, Trevor Ariza and Ryan Anderson.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

We should have done more this offseason. But at least we haven't done anything stupid to commit ourselves to bad contracts or guys who won't help us win. I like most everybody on the roster, we just need 1-2 more guys (primarily bench guards) to be truly elite.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I’m kind of looking forward to Landale myself. Maybe I’m just being naive.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Going between this and other thread is funny, pickle. Pessimist in one thread, optimist in the other. :lol:

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:13 am
INFORMER wrote:
ShelC wrote:
I'm not getting a doom and gloom sense of things just yet and I don't think the offseason was "disastrous". You can't make big moves every offseason and, aside from a KD trade, you're not going to win a title with one trade in July/August.
It's not that the Suns needed to make a big move; they just needed to improve on the glaring holes in this roster. And they didn't. The followed up surrendering a 2-0 lead in the NBA finals with surrendering a 2-0 lead to a significantly inferior opponent in the conference semifinals. The player they've placed all their eggs in can't stay healthy in the playoffs and is getting closer to 40.

So to address these trends that are working against the the team, the GM brings in Jock Landale, Josh Okogie, and Damian Lee.

Maybe disaster is too strong of a word. But at best the offseason was insufficient or lackluster.
But I don't think it was for lack of trying or being unaware of the weaknesses. We're not going to trade CP and upgrade that position right now and teams aren't exactly hot for Payne or Shamet to where we could upgrade those spots via trade. For better or worse, we committed ourselves to those guys being part of the core/rotation. Bigger moves like KD and Barnes fell thru. I also don't think guys like Montrezl Harrell or Schroder were realistic options as FAs. So we brought the same group back hoping to make some incremental improvements until something else comes along. This isn't Ryan McDonaugh thinking he solved his roster issues with Isaiah Canaan, Trevor Ariza and Ryan Anderson.
I’m with Inf.

Do or do not, there is no try. You don’t get an effort trophy, unless you count the Dan Majerle hustle award

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Takes two to tango in the league unless you just want to give the Nets whatever they want for KD which might include Mikal and Cam Johnson.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:13 am
INFORMER wrote:
ShelC wrote:

Montrezl and Schroder were both very realistic, considering what they signed for, and would have solved a number of issues (while possibly contributing to others).

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:15 am
Takes two to tango in the league unless you just want to give the Nets whatever they want for KD which might include Mikal and Cam Johnson.
Interesting how every other team manages to find dance partners each year and we sit in the corner thinking we’re out smarting everyone else

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:36 am
JeremyG wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:35 am
I'm hoping the somber tone was because of the Sarver situation.

But it's really awful if Sarver destroyed the relationship between DA and the Suns (by not giving him a max extension) right before selling the team.
I really don't think it had much to do with Sarver.

Marc Spears says he was told it was Robert Sarver who didn't want to give him the 5th year. Ramona Shelburne says that she talked to people close to DA and DA "thinks this was Robert Sarver's decision." Also, remember that restaurant meeting between Ayton and Sarver a year ago where they were arguing over Ayton's value? I put the ultimate responsibility for (at least the contract-related part of) the relationship souring on Robert Sarver.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"It can either push you or break you."

Let's hope it pushes him!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:29 pm
Marc Spears says he was told it was Robert Sarver who didn't want to give him the 5th year. Ramona Shelburne says that she talked to people close to DA and DA "thinks this was Robert Sarver's decision." Also, remember that restaurant meeting between Ayton and Sarver a year ago where they were arguing over Ayton's value? I put the ultimate responsibility for (at least the contract-related part of) the relationship souring on Robert Sarver.
Good find! Sarver out!
"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

Indy wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:55 am
Going between this and other thread is funny, pickle. Pessimist in one thread, optimist in the other. :lol:
Being bipolar is maybe a prerequisite for following this team. To be honest I don’t know how else to survive. I know people who are annoyingly positive about everything and I admire them, but I just can’t get there. But if I always let the rational side of me take over I don’t know why I would even bother following basketball at all, all it ever does is hurt me.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

pickle wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:15 pm
Indy wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:55 am
Being bipolar is maybe a prerequisite for following this team. To be honest I don’t know how else to survive. I know people who are annoyingly positive about everything and I admire them, but I just can’t get there. But if I always let the rational side of me take over I don’t know why I would even bother following basketball at all, all it ever does is hurt me.
Embrace the pain!
"Be Legendary."