Suns Media Day 2022 - Monday, September 26th

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: Suns Media Day 2022 - Monday, September 26th

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:11 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:29 pm
Marc Spears says he was told it was Robert Sarver who didn't want to give him the 5th year. Ramona Shelburne says that she talked to people close to DA and DA "thinks this was Robert Sarver's decision." Also, remember that restaurant meeting between Ayton and Sarver a year ago where they were arguing over Ayton's value? I put the ultimate responsibility for (at least the contract-related part of) the relationship souring on Robert Sarver.
Good find! Sarver out!
I don't have any issue with it, but using Sarver as the scapegoat for anything negative at this point is the easy way out. 100% of the issues with this team and individual players aren't because of him alone.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:32 pm
Superbone wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Marc Spears says he was told it was Robert Sarver who didn't want to give him the 5th year. Ramona Shelburne says that she talked to people close to DA and DA "thinks this was Robert Sarver's decision." Also, remember that restaurant meeting between Ayton and Sarver a year ago where they were arguing over Ayton's value? I put the ultimate responsibility for (at least the contract-related part of) the relationship souring on Robert Sarver.
Good find! Sarver out!
I don't have any issue with it, but using Sarver as the scapegoat for anything negative at this point is the easy way out. 100% of the issues with this team and individual players aren't because of him alone.
If we can find a common scapegoat, fine with me. Let's get back to basketball.
"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:32 pm
Superbone wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Good find! Sarver out!
I agree with the sentiment. But also people have thin skin and nobody wants to be seen as weak and backing down from their initials reactions — in this case DA’s anger with the team. If Sarver gives them (DA) a reason to justify changing their sour position and re-embracing this team, then I don’t mind throwing ol’ Bob under the bus here. The Monty DA issues can’t quite be explained away by Sarver tho.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:58 am
And yeah, I don't expect us to win as many regular season games as last year. I hope we learned our lesson to concentrate on the playoffs rather than the regular season.
You think the problem was exhaustion from the regular season? I don’t. We clinched the #1 seed, relaxed, and then couldn’t flip the switch back on when the games started to count again. Maybe we’d have been better off taking the final weeks of the season more seriously.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:12 am
Superbone wrote:
And yeah, I don't expect us to win as many regular season games as last year. I hope we learned our lesson to concentrate on the playoffs rather than the regular season.
You think the problem was exhaustion from the regular season? I don’t. We clinched the #1 seed, relaxed, and then couldn’t flip the switch back on when the games started to count again. Maybe we’d have been better off taking the final weeks of the season more seriously.
All of that, and Book hurting his hammy (again). That really taxed the rest of the team during that Pels series. Then the dallas series was basically trading blowouts depending on how many 3s the teams would hit (until Covid).

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
No. I didn't say that. Our priorities were in the wrong place and we peaked too early. We were never the same team again after the Knicks game.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:19 am
Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
No. I didn't say that. Our priorities were in the wrong place and we peaked too early. We were never the same team again after the Knicks game.
OK, not exhaustion. Then what? How did our pursuit of regular season wins affect us in the playoffs?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:31 am
Superbone wrote:
Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
OK, not exhaustion. Then what? How did our pursuit of regular season wins affect us in the playoffs?
I don't know. You tell me. You watched the team. I don't have all the answers. I just know what I saw. Teams like the Warriors and Spurs know how to play for the playoffs. Ask them. The Warriors had a great start and mediocre end of the season but peaked in the playoffs. What was their secret?
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:59 am
Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
I don't know. You tell me. You watched the team. I don't have all the answers. I just know what I saw. Teams like the Warriors and Spurs know how to play for the playoffs. Ask them. The Warriors had a great start and mediocre end of the season but peaked in the playoffs. What was their secret?
Depth and Steph freakin Curry.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

ShadowHawke

Post by ShadowHawke »

"What is massively exceeding the luxury tax limit, Alex?"

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:54 am
Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
All of that, and Book hurting his hammy (again). That really taxed the rest of the team during that Pels series. Then the dallas series was basically trading blowouts depending on how many 3s the teams would hit (until Covid).
You’ve been reported for conspiracies

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:55 pm
Indy wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:54 am
Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
You’ve been reported for conspiracies
Paypal coming for him?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I suspect Covid did play a part in it, but they certainly don't want to come out and say they were playing players with Covid, even if it was in an elimination game.

So we have to throw that excuse out because other teams may have been doing the same.

At any rate, their offseason aggressiveness (other than kicking the tires on Kevin Durant, which was a no-brainer) was pretty underwhelming. Jock Landale, Josh Okogie and Damian Lee certainly aren't going to put them over the top. Even if you throw in a healthy Dario Sarić.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Yes, I also know what you saw: you saw our team suck in the playoffs. What I don’t know is how you establish a causative relationship between winning in the regular season and losing in the playoffs.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:18 pm
Superbone wrote:
Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Cap wrote:

Yes, I also know what you saw: you saw our team suck in the playoffs. What I don’t know is how you establish a causative relationship between winning in the regular season and losing in the playoffs.
Bottom line is we put too much emphasis on the regular season at the expense of the playoffs. I’ll leave it at that.
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Yeah, I don't buy that. Paul missed a huge portion of the last quarter of the season; he basically was forced to rest. None of the other players on the team should be wearing down in the second round.

Honestly, the Suns did what about 10 other Chris Paul teams have done in the past.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:43 pm
Yeah, I don't buy that. Paul missed a huge portion of the last quarter of the season; he basically was forced to rest. None of the other players on the team should be wearing down in the second round.

Honestly, the Suns did what about 10 other Chris Paul teams have done in the past.
And every Devin Booker team ever.

And every Suns team ever.

Pinning this on Chris Paul seems really weird considering we wouldn't have beat the Pelicans without him being amazing.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Indy wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:53 am
INFORMER wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:43 pm

And every Devin Booker team ever.

And every Suns team ever.

Pinning this on Chris Paul seems really weird considering we wouldn't have beat the Pelicans without him being amazing.
Actually, Booker-led teams have a worst record than Paul’s, and last year Paul-led Suns won more games than ever, but again, pinning it all on one single player it’s just for narrative’s sake.

Debate had descended to the point that, if you dislike the player, everything wrong can be traced to him, but if you like him, he can’t do no wrong, it must be the coach, or the teammates, or the solar flares. That and waiting for the right moment to engage, as in keep quiet when the player/team is rolling, and just start the finger pointing when things are not going right.

Split T

Post by Split T »

The truth is none of us actually know. Some have chosen to assume nothing was wrong and the suns/cp3 just choked and lost. Others have assumed that something was up(injury/covid outbreak). Like everyone else, I don’t know. What I do know is the team didn’t remotely resemble the team I watched all year(especially CP3). That leads me to think something was wrong physically(and there seems to be some smoke that this is the case). But I can’t rule out that CP3 just wore down, there was dysfunction in the locker room, and Dallas just figured us out.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:16 am
The truth is none of us actually know. Some have chosen to assume nothing was wrong and the suns/cp3 just choked and lost. Others have assumed that something was up(injury/covid outbreak). Like everyone else, I don’t know. What I do know is the team didn’t remotely resemble the team I watched all year(especially CP3). That leads me to think something was wrong physically(and there seems to be some smoke that this is the case). But I can’t rule out that CP3 just wore down, there was dysfunction in the locker room, and Dallas just figured us out.
All of those things can be true at the same time. It could be that Paul was spent after having to carry the team to beat the Pels. And that Monty's lack of flexibility in defensive schemes let Dallas attack us more. And that Book's inability to see over double teams and make the right pass screwed us. And that Jones' inability to add someone to the team that can dribble/create offense cost us. And that there was covid running through the team near the end of that series.

We like to point at one thing because it is easy to do, but it is almost never one thing.