Jae Crowder trade request

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Suns 2022 Off-Season Thread

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:37 pm
Split T wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:56 am
I guess my question would be why do you care what our new owner spends? Ya Harris is overpaid by a lot, but it’s only 2 years and it doesn’t hurt our ability to make moves. Just adds to the luxury tax bill.
I remember most of y'all caring when it came to spending money on Ayton.
Because we knew resources were limited, aka Sarver.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:51 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:37 pm
Split T wrote:
I guess my question would be why do you care what our new owner spends? Ya Harris is overpaid by a lot, but it’s only 2 years and it doesn’t hurt our ability to make moves. Just adds to the luxury tax bill.
I remember most of y'all caring when it came to spending money on Ayton.
Because we knew resources were limited, aka Sarver.
That plus he actually had value and paying him max money diminishes his value. With Ayton I just wanted to spend the money elsewhere. I wanted to use his value and contract to bring in another similar salaried player.

I saw Ayton as our best path to acquiring a true 3rd star. It’s still doable, but Ayton on a cheaper deal would’ve been better value. There’s still a risk he turns into a Tobias Harris type contract.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Split T wrote:
How was Crowder’s exit viewed in Utah?

Split T

Post by Split T »

SunsRIt wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:07 pm
Split T wrote:
He didn’t shoot well for them. I don’t think many had an issue with him, but they wished he was more consistent of a shooter. Weren’t sad to see him go.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:12 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:07 pm
Split T wrote:
He didn’t shoot well for them. I don’t think many had an issue with him, but they wished he was more consistent of a shooter. Weren’t sad to see him go.
Sounds like his Phoenix tenure

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

At this point maybe we should just try to trade Crowder for a first round pick, that we can use in another trade later.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

I'm just going off of the eye test and definitely not looking at any advanced metrics, but I don't think Duncan Robinson is as horrible a defender as he is being made out to be. He's not some all-world defender, but I think he can be passable enough and his potential contributions on the offensive end could more than make up for it.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I just don't think you can trade Crowder and leave that kind of a void physically and defensively. I don't think Duncan Robinson is going to make such a difference offensively to negate that. KD is one thing, but if you're looking at CamJ and Torrey Craig holding down the 4spot you're in trouble. We're again almost too deep at the 5 with DA, Biz, Landale and Dario and thin at PF. It's a risk given we haven't seen CamJ as a starting PF for an entire season.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Melo is still out there haha

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:53 am
I just don't think you can trade Crowder and leave that kind of a void physically and defensively. I don't think Duncan Robinson is going to make such a difference offensively to negate that. KD is one thing, but if you're looking at CamJ and Torrey Craig holding down the 4spot you're in trouble. We're again almost too deep at the 5 with DA, Biz, Landale and Dario and thin at PF. It's a risk given we haven't seen CamJ as a starting PF for an entire season.
Do you suggest we just tell him to suck it up and you better show up at media day or you're getting fined?
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:41 am
I'm just going off of the eye test and definitely not looking at any advanced metrics, but I don't think Duncan Robinson is as horrible a defender as he is being made out to be. He's not some all-world defender, but I think he can be passable enough and his potential contributions on the offensive end could more than make up for it.
Why do you think Miami stopped playing him? That’s not a rhetorical question, I’m curious about it.

My thinking is while he may not be a terrible defender, he’s still a weak defender and Miami won because of their defense. Teams figured him out offensively(he’s strictly a shooting threat) and he just doesn’t provide enough offense to make up for his defensive shortcomings anymore. He can still shoot, and I’m sure we could find a role for him, but that contract is just so bad. You’ve got to absolutely be sure he’s gonna work out as he’s got like 4 years left.

If I’m flipping crowder for him. They need to take Shamet, give me Strus and a 1st.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:06 am
ShelC wrote:
Do you suggest we just tell him to suck it up and you better show up at media day or you're getting fined?
I just hope we’ve got something mostly worked out(hopefully for Barnes) and we’re waiting to pull the trigger.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:11 am
Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:
I just hope we’ve got something mostly worked out(hopefully for Barnes) and we’re waiting to pull the trigger.
Before tomorrow? Otherwise, it's going to be a distraction at media day.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Every team handles these things differently and it just depends on how things have been communicated between Jae and the FO. If the FO is willing to accommodate him and is working on a trade, they can tell him to stay home. If they tried to find a deal but couldn't get anything done and now want him in the gym as part of the group and he refuses, then maybe they start fining him.

I'm not concerned about this being a distraction. Everyone thought DA's contract situation would be a major distraction last year and it wasn't. Then the Sarver stuff hit and the team kept rolling right along. Once the guys are in the gym, it's about basketball. They may have to answer some uncomfortable questions about it, but they'll answer them and move on.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Split T wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:04 am
In terms of bench depth and smalball 4 scoring, he's still not a terrible option. He won't defend or add much toughness, but he'd give us a legit shotmaker at the 3/4 to take CamJ's place with the 2nd unit.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:53 am
Split T wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:04 am
In terms of bench depth and smalball 4 scoring, he's still not a terrible option. He won't defend or add much toughness, but he'd give us a legit shotmaker at the 3/4 to take CamJ's place with the 2nd unit.
I think Vegas had us as the front runners for him as well, which I thought was interesting

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:25 am
Split T wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:11 am
Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Before tomorrow? Otherwise, it's going to be a distraction at media day.
Could be, or just like Shel said, we can tell him it’s in the process and either be cool with him staying home or ask him to show up and be cool knowing we will grant his request.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Split T wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:05 pm
Also for Wally, I don’t hate the idea of Hayward. His talent would fit really well. I don’t trust him to stay healthy though. How much longer is his deal?
Only 2 more years I believe. After today’s new I think I’m even more in favor of it.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Dang dude. Chill already. We get it. You wanna be traded. He’s just lowering his value. Maybe James Jones is not having it with the offers. Now he’s playing Joe Tsai.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

"SOMEONE MAY BEAT ME OUT FOR MY JOB SO I FEEL MARGINALIZED AND NEED TO GO SOMEWHERE TO GET A HUG."
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695