Phoenix Suns Training Camp 2022

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Phoenix Suns Training Camp 2022

Post by Superbone »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:50 pm
Where’s Monty managing his relationship with his max player ahead of this media day? Because this is Ayton now taking shots at Monty over the whole situation by showing his ass. Yes Ayton is a young man. But who are the adults addressing the elephants in the room? JJ the relationship gm, what say you?
Ugh.
Agreed that there is no excuse for not having a conversation before training camp.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:52 pm
It sounds to me like he feels it's on Monty to come to him and talk to him.
It should be honestly as Coach is the leader of the team.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:56 pm
What does that even mean?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:59 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:56 pm
What does that even mean?
5 years in...but there's more to come?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Oh my God, everybody is overreacting to every single thing is portrayed by the media... people entering left, exiting right, oh my God. Sports media is having a field day with all those Suns fans wanting to find a reason to panic.

I know we are in a very rough spot, with lots of uncertainty, but we are not even inside the team, imagine how all those guys are feeling right now, being actually on the middle of several scandals going on. Just because they earn millions and act like all mighty, it's also actually true that they are also mature and emotionally grounded people, Monty included (perhaps he was the one needing a huge time out after his game 7 fiasco and just recently returned to planet earth, just to find himself in the middle of yet another Sarver crisis plus Crowder, plus Ayton.

I don't blame Crowder on wanting to maximize his earnings, it's the same reason that had him leaving Miami for Phoenix, it's just that we were in the opposite side of the play. Of course I dislike it, but I got why he issued his ultimatum via social media, as he probably felt blocked out with the team on the middle of bigger issues. It's not unusual that hard working people feel entitled to a bigger leverage that they truly have, and coming back to earth is hard.

Still, right now we have a bunch of very kinetic people tight as hell in the middle of a very anxious situation, but once the ball is bouncing, most of them will run after it, and let behind this moment. Just remember how a year ago Ayton was denied his money, every move he made was over analyzed, and still, he was able to play through it, this year even Booker said as much, the man got his money and that weight out of his shoulders, so he is ready to go, and watching Ayton coming in such great shape, I think we will get at least the same old same Ayton.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

95% on Monte.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This situation is bad and there's no other way to spin it. I don't think Ayton's new demeanor is just him being "businesslike" or "focused" or whatever. He's upset and it's going to be a problem. Get in a room together and try to figure this out. Got a bad feeling.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

How do you not call him and congratulate on a new contract?

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:17 pm
Absolutely this. Can’t even send a text?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Monty said that he hasn't talked to "a lot of guys" and I think that's perfectly fine up to this point. They went through a grueling couple of years together and getting some time away from each other to refresh is understandable.

However, the team must address the end of last season as a group before the start of the next season. There's a black cloud the size of a hurricane hanging over this team right now for several reasons and the only thing they can really control is figuring out how to work past whatever the hell happened in the playoffs. Maybe they all know the reason (COVID, whatever) and aren't concerned about it now, but it sure seems like there needs to be a renewed effort to come together as a group again.

Gelling is the purpose of training camp, so I'm not going to get worked up over most of this stuff now. But if we get to Halloween and this team looks like they're not enjoying playing together, it'll only be a matter of time before a big shake up comes and I think it'll likely involve trading Ayton.
Last edited by Flagrant Fowl on Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Wally_West wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:25 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:17 pm
Absolutely this. Can’t even send a text?
Yeah, that's what Gambo was saying, that the matching of the contract was a perfect time to at least send a text congratulating him. Even Gambo came up with a very well worded text on the spot that Monty could have sent. No room for excuses about wanting to give the guys a break from him, lol.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Just heard audio on the radio of Monty saying very sternly: "And to be straight, I'm not gonna talk about this anymore."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Is anyone asking if Monty sent a special text message to Booker about his new contract?

This stuff is ridiculous.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Maybe the team could schedule a crafting session?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Perfect response:

Last edited by JeremyG on Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

At this point, I would not be upset if the new owner brings in a new GM and coach. That's probably the only way to repair things with Ayton at this point--if the new owner likes him and wants to commit to him.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:59 pm
Spagget!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:01 pm
Maybe we should just do a 1 year tank, get a high pick, trade CP3 and Ayton and build around Booker/Bridges /CamJ and whatever we get in the draft/trades
Boo!
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:03 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:01 pm
Maybe we should just do a 1 year tank, get a high pick, trade CP3 and Ayton and build around Booker/Bridges /CamJ and whatever we get in the draft/trades
Booker isn’t going for that. It’s compete or not at all at this point. If it all goes to pot, I hope we can send DA for SGA.
I'm just going to assume part of that proposal is a James Jones staffer putting on a Sam Presti mask Mission: Impossible style and tranquilizing Sam Presti long enough to impersonate him in order to pull that trade off.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.