Preseason Game Day: 36ers @ Suns, Sun 10/02/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Shabazz

Re: Preseason Game Day: 36ers @ Suns, Sun 10/02/22

Post by Shabazz »

Not to be all negative, Ayton and Mikal were super encouraging. Ayton attacked the basket and went into contact pretty consistently. He did it in stretches last year too, so the next step is just doing it consistently.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

This is a big deal in Australia.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I couldn't possibly care less about the result of this game. I'm glad no one was injured.

The lack of scoring punch off of the bench has been in the back of my mind since Cam was put into the starting lineup. I understand all the reasons for both him and the Suns wanting to do it, but I think it's best for the team if he's the 6th man.

Craig Randle can light it up. I'd like the Suns to add a hungry guy like him and move on from guys like Payne and Craig who have essentially regressed since getting paid.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Maaan, I've not had Wi-fi since y'day evening which is less than ideal for many reasons. Decided to peep some of the game using my data so only saw like 10mins of the 1st half.

Not bothered about the final score either, cool for Adelaide and makes for a good future trivia question. As for the 3s, I saw many contested which was different from what plagued us late last season when it was our rotations that were giving up wide open 3s. When having to double or recover after getting beat off penetration we were all over the place and communication was looking like we hadn't played much before.
Any coach is going to say just get a hand up and don't over commit which usually leads to fouling the 3pt shooter. As EJ always saying, you're hardly going to block it so those guys seemingly hit a decent amount of "Imma just let it fly" shots

Trying to analyze the box score
We only hit 8 from deep which is more concerning than the other team getting hot. That's another issue from last season
We were swapping out 5 for 5 which obviously will never happen as we keep two starters on the court at all times when the games count. Still though like others said, an all bench unit shows that group is still flawed. C-Payne made a couple nice plays when I was watching and his final box score looks good but dont really see anyone commenting on that so not sure y.
It couldn't have been garbage time unless everyone has just lost confidence in him......

On that note, yes Landry sigh 😳😒
I saw a quote that he was dealing with some off court issues last season, how he's seen the opinions on his play (doesn't fault ppl for their opinion) as he is too disappointed in how he played. Ready to show his worth this year but what I saw was the same guy looking tentative. He really doesn't exude much confidence at all.

Not sure how Monty is going to decide how much play Washington Jr. gets in the other games but Landry needs to show something.
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Had to split my posts fore I bore some of you guys lol 🤐☺️

DA and Mikal looked really good from what I saw and by all accounts they did for the whole game. That's gonna be a key development but also a possible tricky dilemma. The my boy Cam should start isn't anything new here on the board and I never really made a big deal of it.

I've always been more interested in his touches when he's on the court. That's y Jae starting never bothered me because most starting units need that glue guy or more importantly "Low Usage" guy that doesn't need any shots or plays run for him.
If our backcourt is doing their thing and now we have DA n Mikal also being more aggressive and getting plays run for them (mainly DA) that means most of the time Cam just chilling weakside for the corner 3s.

If that's the case I don't see how his numbers will be anything special. It's basically impossible for a starting 5 to have everyone avging 15+ points. One of the stats folks on here can fact check that for me ☺️ but just doesn't seem practical. Alot of his best games were when Book was out and everyone knew they needed to step up.

With the makeup of the team still think it would be better if he was off the bench like Herro/Poole but the decision has already been made so gonna be interesting to see how it all works out
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Still have to watch the 2nd half but saw where this one was headed early on. They had a bounce in their step that I thought only Mikal and Landale really matched. Then they got hot from 3 and never seemed to miss. This has been a major issue for us in the past - as disciplined as we are and can play, if other teams are launching 3s and making them, we can't counterpunch. They're making 25 3s, while we're make 6. Just can't keep up that way, even as efficient as we might be in midrange. We don't have any gunners or guys who can really get hot. Their defensive effort really pushed us out on the perimeter and made Payne and Shamet both look smaller and weaker in not being able to shake loose for space. Just more physical than we were, played harder and got hot from the outside.

I think Lee is intriguing as a potential smallball 4 but if he's got hitting 3s there's no point. But I think Monty may see him as a PJ Tucker/Crowder type eventually. Landale's got some nice instincts and bounce, he may even work well with the starters a bit like Frank and Dario used to.

Split T

Post by Split T »

djy2j wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:02 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:57 pm
The starters were fine, +11 minutes in 22 minutes. That’s a 24 point win pace. Bench was -21 in 26 minutes…that’s nearly a 40 point loss pace.
Starters looked fine. Ayton playing angry is what I've begged for since he got here. Getting so little from Shamet and Craig needs to be addressed. Immediately only 3 more preseason games. Find a way to better better by moving Crowder, Craig, and Shamet.
There was a transition play where someone, I think CP3, found Ayton on the run, there was 2 36ers back, but Ayton still caught the ball and just went up, fully extended, and dunked it, jumping from it seemed nearly 10 feet out. I feel like he’s had that opportunity a million times and this might have been one of the very few times he’s not tried some weird body contortion layup.

Give me this version of Ayton and this version of Mikal and I’ll be happy. Ya we need to fix the bench too, but even with a great bench, Mikal and Ayton control the ceiling of this team.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Vladimir_Taltos

They lost to the 36ers...not even the 38ers (half of 76)...but the 36ers...🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ ...can't spin this as a good start...

Vladimir_Taltos

Superbone wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:13 pm
Next shortage in Phx...paper bags with cut out eyeholes...

Split T

Post by Split T »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:54 am
They lost to the 36ers...not even the 38ers (half of 76)...but the 36ers...🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ ...can't spin this as a good start...
In a game that means absolutely nothing. I’m not sure why people are freaking out about this.

Vladimir_Taltos

Loved this one...warms the heart...

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

iLLmatic wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:43 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:30 pm
I don't think it can be overstated how bad most of the bench players looked tonight.

If the bench guards are Lee, Shamet and Okogie they're going to have problems.
I was at the game tonight, sat row 6. We are in deep trouble this year, our bench is total trash. I would trade the starting 5 bench of the Australian team for our bench in a heartbeat.
FTFY.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton