Preseason Game Day: 36ers @ Suns, Sun 10/02/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: Preseason Game Day: 36ers @ Suns, Sun 10/02/22

Post by JeremyG »

What's hilarious is that everyone wanted to let Ayton leave and have an even worse/thinner team rather than pay him.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:05 am
What's hilarious is that everyone wanted to let Ayton leave and have an even worse/thinner team rather than pay him.
No one backed let him go for nothing, if the team had traded him for KD without another current starter going out (Crowder is not), having CP, Booker, Mikal, KD, Center by committee and Cam J from the bench would not be hilarious at all.

Given that Brooklyn apparently wanted Ayton (or whatever assets he would create) and Mikal, I'm actually happy that we stayed the course. I value Ayton that much, he should have been almost enough to get us a old, disgruntled, injury concern KD.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya even the Indy S&T would have at the least brought back Turner and kept the same amount of playable guys.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

TOO wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:14 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:09 am
One thing: Our bench may have been worrying tonight, but if we had made a KD trade this summer, it sure would not have strengthened our bench any. If anything it would have severely depleted our bench as we threw contracts into the trade to make the salaries match. Our starters mostly seemed fine, but our bench was the problem. KD wouldn't have solved that.
I believe we would have signed some decent FA ring chasers. Schroeder and Melo for example.
Is Melo still available?

I think signing him would allow the Suns to use Crowder to get a real upgrade at the guard rotation, hopefully with Shamet included. What can a Crowder, Shamet, lightly protected first could fetch in this training camp moment of the season?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:35 am

I think Lee is intriguing as a potential smallball 4 but if he's got hitting 3s there's no point. But I think Monty may see him as a PJ Tucker/Crowder type eventually. Landale's got some nice instincts and bounce, he may even work well with the starters a bit like Frank and Dario used to.
That’s not Lee’s game at all. He’s way to small to play the 4 in any lineup. I barely trust him to defend 3s.

TOO

Post by TOO »

JeremyG wrote:
Nobody wanted him to walk, just wanted to trade him for a better fit.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

I'm one of the more overreactive fans after a Suns loss, but I am not bothered by that loss all that much. Those dudes were flamethrowers out there. All night. The first preseason game of the season is to try out stuff, try out lineups, see what works and what doesn't.

My biggest concern is that Jones needs to turn Crowder into something ASAP because the bench is the issue right now. Going into the season with a bench that thin is going to wear the starters down quick. He really needs to find a way to trade all Shamet, Craig, and Crowder in one swing but that's asking alot.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:13 am
JeremyG wrote:
No one backed let him go for nothing, if the team had traded him for KD without another current starter going out (Crowder is not), having CP, Booker, Mikal, KD, Center by committee and Cam J from the bench would not be hilarious at all.

Given that Brooklyn apparently wanted Ayton (or whatever assets he would create) and Mikal, I'm actually happy that we stayed the course. I value Ayton that much, he should have been almost enough to get us a old, disgruntled, injury concern KD.
People actually were backing him leaving for nothing, especially when it was clear there was going to be an offer sheet from Indiana.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:14 am
Ya even the Indy S&T would have at the least brought back Turner and kept the same amount of playable guys.
Which, like I said, would have given us an even worse/thinner team.

I definitely stand by what I said during the summer, that if he had let him go, we would risk missing the playoffs. Even with him, we might struggle to make the playoffs (and I had that feeling before last night's game). We are one injury away from disaster.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:38 am
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

People actually were backing him leaving for nothing, especially when it was clear there was going to be an offer sheet from Indiana.
Please find one example of a single poster “backing” Ayton leaving for nothing. I’m pretty sure I said it was a move that would make it justifiable to drop one’s fandom.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:45 am
JeremyG wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

Please find one example of a single poster “backing” Ayton leaving for nothing. I’m pretty sure I said it was a move that would make it justifiable to drop one’s fandom.
Sorry, it looks like I misremembered. There were definitely people wanting to swap him for just Turner rather than pay him, though. Split for example :P
Split T wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:58 pm
Scenarios in order of my preference.

[...]

7. We S&T Ayton for Turner and don’t get KD

8. We match Ayton and don’t get KD

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Ok this thread is reading much like I expected unfortunately which is quite fine with me

I've had much less to work with in terms of roster since I became a frequent poster on here and I still refuse to be doom n gloom.

Just try not to attack each other ✌🏾
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

I recorded the game, went back and watched. Here's my thoughts.

1) I thought both teams came out with energy. Though it was a preseason game, both teams wanted it.

2) Ayton looked excellent.

3) Bridges looked like he's been hitting the weights. He's bulked up some.

4) Landale's energy and aggression was welcoming.

5) The 36'ers played with energy and hit majority of their three-point shots.

I want to see Cam Johnson and Torrey Craig play better, but overall I thought the effort was there by the Suns. Bottom line, Adelaide hit 24 threes. If you make that many you should win. Next game Wednesday against the Lakers.
Phoenix Suns 2023-24NBA Champions !

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:12 am
Shabazz wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

Sorry, it looks like I misremembered. There were definitely people wanting to swap him for just Turner rather than pay him, though. Split for example :P
Split T wrote:

[...]

I was in favor of that. Turner was cheaper and I felt like we could have used the money saved to add another significant rotation piece. I don’t recall my exact post, but I probably was assuming a 1st attached to Turner as well. I didn’t believe in Ayton as a max player. Still don’t, but hopefully I’m wrong.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:39 am
Split T wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:14 am
Which, like I said, would have given us an even worse/thinner team.

I definitely stand by what I said during the summer, that if he had let him go, we would risk missing the playoffs. Even with him, we might struggle to make the playoffs (and I had that feeling before last night's game). We are one injury away from disaster.
How would our team have been thinner? Assuming the only difference is we swap out Ayton for Turner, we have the same number of playable guys. It’s 1 for 1. I’d assume we’d also add a pick from Indy that would’ve made adding another rotation piece easier.

Would we have been a worse team? Definitely an argument for that. Not considering contracts I think Ayton is better than Turner, though Turner might be a better fit, assuming their play from last year and operating under the assumption that Ayton wasn’t going to be happy here. But Turner isn’t getting better, Ayton is.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Every thread is gonna turn into some form of Ayton discourse. That’s my prediction for this season.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:27 am
JeremyG wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:12 am
Shabazz wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:

Split T wrote:

[...]

I was in favor of that. Turner was cheaper and I felt like we could have used the money saved to add another significant rotation piece. I don’t recall my exact post, but I probably was assuming a 1st attached to Turner as well. I didn’t believe in Ayton as a max player. Still don’t, but hopefully I’m wrong.
You had Turner and a pick as a higher preference, but Ayton for Turner straight up was still higher on your list than matching DA. But still being way over the cap, I don't see how the money saved would have helped anything other than Sarver's pocket.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Really? They did? Everyone?
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

You had Turner and a pick as a higher preference, but Ayton for Turner straight up was still higher on your list than matching DA. But still being way over the cap, I don't see how the money saved would have helped anything other than Sarver's pocket.

Well I was more down on Ayton at the time than I am now. It wouldn’t have given us more ways to bring in more salary, but I think we would have been more willing to bring in more salary/long term salary.

Looking back I wouldn’t do that anymore, Ayton for Turner and no other assets(without assurances we would have done something like Crowder/Saric/Shamet for Tobías Harris), but I’d be tempted by Turner and a 1st. We’d have 5 rotation guys, plus Crowder and 5 tradeable 1sts to add to the roster. We’d be pretty firmly in the lead for KD I think with our 5 1sts if he asks out again and be positioned to really add to the team if need be.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:48 am
JeremyG wrote:
Really? They did? Everyone?
I seem to recall some of us were for matching, and one of use was for matching and giving him a parade......
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695