Preseason Game Day: 36ers @ Suns, Sun 10/02/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Preseason Game Day: 36ers @ Suns, Sun 10/02/22

Post by Split T »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:02 am
Loved this one...warms the heart...

Not sure anyone knows how good they are. They weren’t very good last year, but Craig Randall, Robert Franks, and Antonius Cleveland were 3 of their 4 best players last night and none of them were on the team last year. Franks and Randall should probably be on NBA teams after what I saw.

Franks is a big body with some guard skills. Listed at 6’7 225, he looked more like 245. Kinda built like Rodney Rogers. He played 7 games with the Magic in 2021, graduated from Washington State and shot 40% from 3 on 6 attempts a game over his last two years. Was 18/9 and shot 39% last year from 3 on over 6 attempts a game in the NBL.

Randall is 6’4 185 and was in the G-League last year, put up 27/5/6 on 43/37/78 splits.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Also, take a chill pill Vlad. Not the end of the world. They made almost 30 3's. Many contested. They can take a bow for their big preseason win.

Also, our bench is straight ass.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:51 am
Also, take a chill pill Vlad. Not the end of the world. They made almost 30 3's. Many contested. They can take a bow for their big preseason win.

Dude...if one can't use a little levity to relieve disappointment at losing to....again ..the 36ers...for crying out loud...we're all lost. Seriously...I'm not the one that needs a chill pill...

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

AmareIsGod wrote:

Andddd...after months of KD drama and dumpster diving for a bench, you AREN'T concerned that... THAT was our bench last night? 🤷‍♂️

Split T

Post by Split T »

Here’s the changes I’d like to see in our next game. I’m cool letting the 1st unit get their run together, but I’d change up the 2nd unit.

I want to see what DWJ can do, he needs some run next to Payne and in place of Payne. I don’t think he’s a pg, but we should make sure. I’d rather see Ish than Craig. I know what Craig is and he’ll be a decent 9th/10th man for us, but I think Ish could potentially be more. I also want to see Saric out there. Let’s see if Saric/Payne can bring the 2021 magic back.

Craig, Lee, and Biyombo just aren’t that interesting to me out there. I know what they are and what they aren’t. They can play nba minutes with the right lineup, but they are not featured players. So I’d run 2 bench units:

Payne/DWJ/Craig/Ish/Saric and then
DWJ/Shamet/Lee/Ish/Landale.

Wouldn’t mind seeing TLC out there too instead of Lee/Craig. Sucks Okogie is hurt, would’ve liked to see how he fits.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

One thing: Our bench may have been worrying tonight, but if we had made a KD trade this summer, it sure would not have strengthened our bench any. If anything it would have severely depleted our bench as we threw contracts into the trade to make the salaries match. Our starters mostly seemed fine, but our bench was the problem. KD wouldn't have solved that.

carey

Post by carey »

Payne can not be our lead guard for the second unit. Especially if he’s paired with Craig and not Saric.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

We just don’t have a better option right now. Well that we know of. Need to see what DWJ can do.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

One thing about the substitution patterns last night. They usually subbed 5 for 5 which will not happen in the regular season. It will be 1-2 subbed in and then another a minute or two later. It will make a huge difference when there are starters on the court with bench guys.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Yep that’s true. Monty wants to get the 1st unit comfortable with each other as that will be our most used lineup.

I like the idea of tying Paul/Ayton together. I’d have them be the first subs, probably for Payne/Saric(if Saric is ready). If we trade Crowder for say Osman, I might bring him in then too.

Payne/Booker/Bridges/Osman/Saric. Then bring Paul/Cam/Ayton back to give Booker/Bridges a rest. I’d leave Osman in and Payne if he’s playing well or go to Shamet.

Paul/Shamet/Osman/CamJ/Ayton.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:57 am
AmareIsGod wrote:

Dude...if one can't use a little levity to relieve disappointment at losing to....again ..the 36ers...for crying out loud...we're all lost. Seriously...I'm not the one that needs a chill pill...
Levity isn't allowed here. Just FYI.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:09 am
One thing: Our bench may have been worrying tonight, but if we had made a KD trade this summer, it sure would not have strengthened our bench any. If anything it would have severely depleted our bench as we threw contracts into the trade to make the salaries match. Our starters mostly seemed fine, but our bench was the problem. KD wouldn't have solved that.
I believe we would have signed some decent FA ring chasers. Schroeder and Melo for example.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

TOO wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:14 am
Mori Chu wrote:
I believe we would have signed some decent FA ring chasers. Schroeder and Melo for example.
Also, having someone like KD who can go for 35 in a half makes up for not having a bench. You can get away with guys like Lee, Okogie and Biz if you have KD in the mix.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:59 am
AmareIsGod wrote:

Andddd...after months of KD drama and dumpster diving for a bench, you AREN'T concerned that... THAT was our bench last night? 🤷‍♂️
;)
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:16 am
TOO wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:14 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Also, having someone like KD who can go for 35 in a half makes up for not having a bench. You can get away with guys like Lee, Okogie and Biz if you have KD in the mix.
Yep, you can always keep KD or Book on the floor and have someone to create shots from nothing.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Wait, our bench full of amazing additions that Jones very brilliantly added- seeing the lack of a third playmaker and reliable scoring punch from last year- sucked ass? What??? Wow what a surprising disappointment

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TOO wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:13 am
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:

Your definitions of levity are different than mine. Sounded more like panic.
"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:10 am
TOO wrote:
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:

There is no reason to panic, GM James Jones will fix everything.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

TOO wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:32 am
Superbone wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:10 am
TOO wrote:
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:

There is no reason to panic, GM James Jones will fix everything.
Hard to say yes or no to this since it's very early in the preseason. One can hope. Nothing wrong with being an objective optimist.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’m not thrilled with what we’ve done for the roster, but I will wait to cast my final thoughts until the trade deadline. The Crowder move will be the next test. Ideally we add a rotation player with that move, add 1 at the deadline and add at least a borderline one via FA/buyout. We need at least 7 and it feels like we have 5 right now.