Suns 2022 Preseason News and Notes

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Gladiator

Re: Suns 2022 Preseason News and Notes

Post by Gladiator »

The more I think about it, the more I am ok with not extending Johnson. He seems like the type that will just get on with things and not cause issues. I am not convinced he is the long term answer at power forward, or how much improvement he will show in a bigger role. Above all, we can just match and keep him as a restricted free agent.

I am much more concerned about other areas of inactivity from the front office (not addressing some glaring issues with the roster, and assuming the colossal flame out in the playoffs was just a blip and not something bigger)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:56 pm
carey wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:04 pm
And if we get known as a team that ONLY extends the Bookers, Bridges and Aytons of the world, why would high quality role players want to sign here?
I don't understand your point. First, Ayton didn't get extended. The Suns allowed him to enter free agency and then matched the offer he received. The same opportunity now exists for Cam Johnson.

How are you classifying the "Bridges of the World"? I would say that would be the category of high quality role player. And the Suns extended Landry before he even played a game for us. So I don't see an argument for the Suns getting this reputation that you are alluding to.
I know one thing. It makes for a great coffee table book.
"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:56 pm
carey wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:04 pm
And if we get known as a team that ONLY extends the Bookers, Bridges and Aytons of the world, why would high quality role players want to sign here?
I don't understand your point. First, Ayton didn't get extended. The Suns allowed him to enter free agency and then matched the offer he received. The same opportunity now exists for Cam Johnson.

How are you classifying the "Bridges of the World"? I would say that would be the category of high quality role player. And the Suns extended Landry before he even played a game for us. So I don't see an argument for the Suns getting this reputation that you are alluding to.
I totally forgot we extended Shamet but it felt kind of like we were just signing him because it was a trade an extend. I was kind of talking about extending our own guys. Bridges is an elite role player and will probably be starting in the league for 15 years. So you either have to be a Devin Booker or a Mikal Bridges.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

For anyone who's unaware, Al McCoy is back for his 51st season!

He was on Bickley & Marotta this morning and repeated the exact same line from my sig. :lol: https://omny.fm/shows/bickley-marotta/a ... dcaster-14

Al on this year for DA:
"I think it's gonna be great. And of course, as you both know, I'm a Deandre Ayton guy. I mean here's an individual player that averaged a double-double in every game all season long, without ever having a play even run for him. So to say he doesn't do his job, well I don't go along with. And I look for DA really to have a big year, I look for them to utilize him more offensively, which I think could be the biggest plus that this team has this season."
He's been around this team for over 50 years, and he sees it like I do. ;)
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I am not sure what "averaged a double-double in every game all season long" means. Because he didn't get a double double in every game. And you can't average it in every game. I assume he just meant his average for the season was a double-double. Either way, I hope i am half as coherent as Al if I make it to his age.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Indy wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:50 am
I am not sure what "averaged a double-double in every game all season long" means. Because he didn't get a double double in every game. And you can't average it in every game. I assume he just meant his average for the season was a double-double. Either way, I hope i am half as coherent as Al if I make it to his age.
I know I won't be - I'm already losing ground.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:57 am
Indy wrote:
me too. I had to google "that disease where you forget things" the other day. And I am about half his age!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:00 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Indy wrote:
me too. I had to google "that disease where you forget things" the other day. And I am about half his age!
I love it when I go into a room and then forget what I was going to do!
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The other day I forgot the name of that site you use to Google things, so I had to Bing it to remember! Turns out it's DuckDuckGo.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

Indy

Post by Indy »

Indy wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
Indy wrote:
to be clear, this wasn't a joke. :(

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:27 pm
Indy wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
Indy wrote:
to be clear, this wasn't a joke. :(
Oh, wow.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

yeah

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Indy wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:22 pm
yeah
It happens to all of us eventually. I frequently find myself searching for a word that I know I should remember.

It's pretty disconcerting when it happens.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Right there with ya.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

I remember all the kids I coached in soccer 30 years ago.
But I have to put an APB out every morning to find my g-- d--- shoes ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yeah, I've definitely been there where I can't think of the word I'm looking for. Or more often, I can't think of a celebrities name that I know really well and I can picture their face. That usually happens when I'm doing Jeopardy trivia. Not too concerned with that one though.
"Be Legendary."

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:32 pm
Indy wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
Indy wrote:
I love it when I go into a room and then forget what I was going to do!
Also known as "when God cancels command on the Sims"