Suns 2022 Preseason News and Notes

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Wally_West

Re: Suns 2022 Preseason News and Notes

Post by Wally_West »

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

We're already over the tax. So not overpaying him does not help with medicority. We either have to pay even more for him next summer, or let him walk (or S&T for lesser value) and become more mediocre.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:22 pm
We're already over the tax. So not overpaying him does not help with medicority. We either have to pay even more for him next summer, or let him walk (or S&T for lesser value) and become more mediocre.
Those are not the only options…you complained about Ayton’s lack of extension too and he’s still here and we didn’t have to pay more for him…less actually.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Same situation as DA as far as I'm concerned. We're not going to bid against ourselves, so let another team give him an offer sheet for a crazy amount if they want him that bad and then we can talk. He's most likely back with us unless his agent convinces another team he's worth $120 or something.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:24 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Those are not the only options…you complained about Ayton’s lack of extension too and he’s still here and we didn’t have to pay more for him…less actually.
Less for now. Not less if we want to re-sign him after the cap jump. (And I still don't think it was worth messing with the relationship.)

Completely different situation, though. There's no way Cam was demanding a max extension. That's the only way the price would go down by waiting.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:26 pm
Same situation as DA as far as I'm concerned. We're not going to bid against ourselves, so let another team give him an offer sheet for a crazy amount if they want him that bad and then we can talk. He's most likely back with us unless his agent convinces another team he's worth $120 or something.
After a year of starting, and with salaries going crazy, $120M may not even be the highest offer he gets.
Last edited by JeremyG on Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:28 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:24 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Less for now. Not less if we want to re-sign him after the cap jump. And I still don't think it was worth messing with the relationship.

Completely different situation, though. There's no way Cam was demanding a max extension. That's the only way the price would go down by waiting.
Neither you nor I know what CamJ was asking for, so you’re incorrect. It could definitely go down. Players turn down extensions often trying to get better deals that never come. Nerlens Noel and Dennis Schroeder come to mind.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

If someone what’s to offer Cam 4/120…then by all means, dawg :lol: :lol: :lol:

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:30 pm
ShelC wrote:
After a year of starting, and with salaries going crazy, $120M may not even be the highest offer he gets.
If CamJ is good enough this year to get 120 million next summer then I call that a win for us

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

My extremely uniformed, base on absolutely nothing take is Cam wanted Mikal Bridges type payday and Suns wanted to stay in low 80s/high 70s. Oh well.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:32 pm
JeremyG wrote:
ShelC wrote:
If CamJ is good enough this year to get 120 million next summer then I call that a win for us
Not if we decide we can't afford him. And not if we could have had him for way less by just locking him up now.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:34 pm
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Not if we decide we can't afford him. And not if we could have had him for way less by just locking him up now.
You always assume the worst…there’s no reason to think that…and yes if he becomes worth 120 million next summer and we pay him, that’s still a massive win for us. I don’t care about the pockets of the new owner…I care about how good CamJ is.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:37 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:34 pm
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
ShelC wrote:
You always assume the worst…there’s no reason to think that…and yes if he becomes worth 120 million next summer and we pay him, that’s still a massive win for us. I don’t care about the pockets of the new owner…I care about how good CamJ is.
If we pay him, then yeah I don't care (except it's stressful not having the young core locked up). But most owners would probably not want to go that far into the luxury tax.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Even Suns beat writers are joining in :lol:

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:14 pm
So they're still hoping for KD? This is ridiculous.
How many championship teams can you name over the last 20 years that haven't had a top 5 player on their roster?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:59 pm
JeremyG wrote:
How many championship teams can you name over the last 20 years that haven't had a top 5 player on their roster?
None and if the Suns win this year that streak will continue (DA)

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JeremyG wrote:
Much easier to trade him if we didn’t extend and get assets back. I don’t believe in overpaying role players. We have finite $ for roster construction, the reality is the current owners won’t pay significant tax. So I’d rather distribute that slice of pie elsewhere (see: KD, or another star)

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Gambo says the Suns and Johnson were talking all the way up to the deadline but were not able to come to an agreement on what his value is.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:59 pm
JeremyG wrote:
My point is you have to move forward, you can't just freeze all transactions because you're hoping KD becomes available.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t disagree with any of those tweets, but it assumes CamJ was willing to take a reasonable deal. If he’s asking for the price he’d get next summer after a breakout year, there’s no reason for us to give it to him now. Let him go out and prove it.

Now if Cam was willing to sign for near and below what Mikal signed for and we decided to wait, then ya I think they messed up. My personal opinion is Cam is not going to price himself outside of our range…maybe he gets the Mikal deal or slightly better next summer? I’m cool paying him that if he earns it next summer, but I can’t see a scenario where he gets more than that. So if was asking for Mikal money or more, I can see why the suns would say go prove you’re worth that and then we’ll give it to you.

Sure you open yourself up to paying even more if he has a big breakout, but again I think they’d welcome that and would happily pony up if he’s worth it.