Preseason Game Day: Suns @ Lakers, Wed 10/5/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Preseason Game Day: Suns @ Lakers, Wed 10/5/22

Post by Split T »

He’s the 37th highest paid player in the league. Personally I’d want him to be a top 30 guy(a true tier 2 guy) if he’s making max money. I think he’s closer to 50 and tier 4 than tier 2 right now.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:51 pm
If not a superstar, can we call him a star then?
He is what he is, a very well paid role player.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:51 pm
If not a superstar, can we call him a star then?
If he plays at or near All-Star level, then yes. And if he doesn't, then he's not earning his max and will earn the "overpaid" label. If he's All-NBA, then that's superstar territory.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:48 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:41 pm
Bridges, Ayton, and Booker all shooting horribly tonight.
Ayton playing exactly the same. Timid with the ball, uninterested. I don’t care that he’s not shooting well. I care that he has no interest in making a play with the ball whatsoever, completely fine fading in the background. Trade can’t come soon enough!!
:lol:
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:08 pm
Dario looked good in his limited time
You think so? I wasn't really impressed. He took over as the go-to guy at the end against the Lakers 4th stringers, but overall I thought he was mediocre.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

djy2j wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:17 pm
This team feels stale.
That is a good way to put it. I'm not sure what James Jones was thinking besides putting all his eggs in the Durant basket.
djy2j wrote:
Duane Washington I don't think made a shot. If hes a microwave then that microwave is stuck on defrost. To be fair I wasn't a fan of him in college or on the Pacers. He was always a volume shooter as opposed to a volume scorer to me. Maybe he gets better.
I was disappointed by his debut as well, but I he did have two great feeds to Dario off the pick and roll. So that's something.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:31 pm
The hyper-critical focus on DA is what is getting tiring. Nobody does that with Booker or Bridges or even Chris Paul.
Ayton doesn't get the same treatment as one of best point guards of all time or a top 10 player in the league? Hmmm, not sure why...

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:20 am
Nope, superstar money is the supermax.
Supermax eligibility is limited by years played. So no player is eligible for a supermax contract coming off of their rookie deal. You can get the designated player max, but that still doesn't touch what guys like LeBron, Dame, etc. are making.

For example, Donovan Mitchell is a superstar. But he isn't making the supermax because he doesn't have the years of service. His next contract though will undoubtedly be the supermax.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:41 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:08 pm
Dario looked good in his limited time
You think so? I wasn't really impressed. He took over as the go-to guy at the end against the Lakers 4th stringers, but overall I thought he was mediocre.
Well he had a short run in the first half he didn’t do anything with. Most of his minutes came against the scrubs and he had some nice plays in the paint

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'm not worried about Dario. He's a smart player and he'll find a way to make a positive impact. May take him a few weeks/months to get fully comfortable but I think he'll be a real asset by midseason.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

INFORMER wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:53 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Supermax eligibility is limited by years played. So no player is eligible for a supermax contract coming off of their rookie deal. You can get the designated player max, but that still doesn't touch what guys like LeBron, Dame, etc. are making.

For example, Donovan Mitchell is a superstar. But he isn't making the supermax because he doesn't have the years of service. His next contract though will undoubtedly be the supermax.
For younger players, the 30% max is usually called a supermax rookie extension (example: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/319 ... -mavericks)

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

INFORMER wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:44 pm
djy2j wrote:
This team feels stale.
That is a good way to put it. I'm not sure what James Jones was thinking besides putting all his eggs in the Durant basket.
djy2j wrote:
Duane Washington I don't think made a shot. If hes a microwave then that microwave is stuck on defrost. To be fair I wasn't a fan of him in college or on the Pacers. He was always a volume shooter as opposed to a volume scorer to me. Maybe he gets better.
I was disappointed by his debut as well, but I he did have two great feeds to Dario off the pick and roll. So that's something.
Yeah I meant to follow up on another post about lack of offseason moves. He clearly had all the eggs in the Durant basket hence all the minimum contracts that were added and could be shed if needed. I am a little worried about lack of options now to improve. I hadn't seen updates yet (also haven't looked) on either of the Cam's finger injuries. CamJ HAS to have a healthy season since were in a situation where was have to rid ourselves of Crowder. The drop in talent from starters to bench feels as big as the Grand Canyon. I guess the best case scenario is a playoff contender, preferably out east, loses a starter to injury and wants to pony up for Crowder.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:11 am
INFORMER wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

For younger players, the 30% max is usually called a supermax rookie extension (example: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/319 ... -mavericks)
You do realize that article indicates that contract is the first of its kind, right? I don't think that syncs with your take "usually." That supermax requires qualifiers for a player to even be eligible to receive the offer. It isn't just as simple as a team saying "we think you're a superstar."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:11 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:11 am
INFORMER wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

You do realize that article indicates that contract is the first of its kind, right? I don't think that syncs with your take "usually." That supermax requires qualifiers for a player to even be eligible to receive the offer. It isn't just as simple as a team saying "we think you're a superstar."
"First player eligible...upon signing"--others have had "escalators" that kick in if they reach the criteria. Regardless, your statement that "no player is eligible for a supermax contract coming off of their rookie deal" is not accurate if you include the 30% supermax.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Why do we keep beating this dead horse? Does it really need to be discussed ad nauseum for 6 months. Let it go.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

SunsRIt wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:54 pm
Why do we keep beating this dead horse? Does it really need to be discussed ad nauseum for 6 months. Let it go.
At least it’s not about the Joe Johnson dead horse… baby steps!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: