2023 NBA Draft

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

2023 NBA Draft

Post by Split T »

Let’s get it started….anyone watch the 2 Wembanyama vs Scoot games this week?

Is Wemby the biggest prospect ever? And I don’t mean actual size, although he is massive, look at him next to Rudy, it’s crazy.

Is he a more hyped prospect than LeBron? He’s the only comparable one in my lifetime. I think LeBron still might beat him out, but there’s another year to go.

How crazy is the tanking going to be this year?

Split T

Re: 2023 NBA Draft

Post by Split T »

I watched part of the game today and it’s pretty crazy how fluid of an athlete Wemby is at his size. I’m not completely sold on him, but man I’m excited for his career. He’s gonna be a lot of fun.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

The only thing that can stop him is health, imo. As he matures, he will get stronger and stronger, as he looks like he can gain that muscle. He's already a taller, longer Gobert on defense and Durant on offense. He shoots at a high rate, even from distance, with arc, on the move, in turnarounds, and with distance. He catches everything. He makes moves off the dribble and finishes through contact. He has great feel for the game, knows how and when to pass and where to get guys the ball. He also plays with poise. He wasn't the reason that they lost these 2 games either. He was undoubtedly the best player on the floor in both.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

I wish I caught the game when Scoot played, he got hurt today. I’ve been of the opinion that if I landed the #1 pick, I’d trade back to 2 and get a massive haul to go from Wemby to Scoot. Imagine if OKC lands at 2, what would they offer up to get Wemby?

I have concerns about his longevity and ability to hold up to nba play. I’m worried he’ll be hurt a lot and have a short, albeit spectacular career. Think Yao Ming…although of course a much better player, but Yao from a health and longevity standpoint. Guys his size just don’t hold up. Especially ones who play like he does. He looks so smooth moving around on the court though.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:35 pm
I wish I caught the game when Scoot played, he got hurt today. I’ve been of the opinion that if I landed the #1 pick, I’d trade back to 2 and get a massive haul to go from Wemby to Scoot. Imagine if OKC lands at 2, what would they offer up to get Wemby?

I have concerns about his longevity and ability to hold up to nba play. I’m worried he’ll be hurt a lot and have a short, albeit spectacular career. Think Yao Ming…although of course a much better player, but Yao from a health and longevity standpoint. Guys his size just don’t hold up. Especially ones who play like he does. He looks so smooth moving around on the court though.
You have legitimate concerns. Who knows exactly what the future holds?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Hopefully we can take advantage of the tanking to pick up some productive players from the teams participating in the tankathon.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

In terms of pre-draft hype, I think he's on par with KD. The physical comparisons help in that regard as well.

I don't know if we'll ever see a kid like LeBron again. He had NBA ready skills with the body to match on opening night. Zion was pretty close to that but he hasn't ever shown the commitment to his body the way LeBron always has.

I'm a little worried that Wemby will become too tall because there is a physiological breaking point where other ailments can develop that are typically unrelated to being an athlete.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Show me a 7ft3+ NBA player that had a long and productive career without injury and I'll show you my 9" peep. They don't hold up. He's amazing, unlike anything I've seen at that height. I just know how this plays out, especially the way he plays.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Please don’t show us your peep

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Yeah, these teams are likely going to look very foolish for tanking for a 14% chance of landing a guy who may only play a small number of games in the league at full health. Not worth the risk and way too much hype imo. But hey if we can grab some good players off of these teams I'm all for it.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

TOO

Post by TOO »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:32 pm
Show me a 7ft3+ NBA player that had a long and productive career without injury and I'll show you my 9" peep. They don't hold up. He's amazing, unlike anything I've seen at that height. I just know how this plays out, especially the way he plays.
Congrats on the marshmallow treat bud.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

He looks really good. But I tend to agree with the skepticism, I think he's likely to have injuries due to being just too tall. Guys over about 7'1" always have awful health problems. If I had the #1 pick, would I draft the kid? Yeah, of course, you have to. But I'd be terrified.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’d trade the pick to OKC for a massive haul.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Wembanyama reminds me of Ralph Sampson, except with a touch behind the arc.

It's a crapshoot with very tall players.
Abdul-Jabbar had a very long career -- he kept in shape with martial arts and yoga.
Shaq had a very long career, while playing sometimes upwards of 350 lbs.
Ming's health issues stemmed from overuse, playing upwards of 120 games in the NBA and then with the Chinese team.
Sampson was never the same after a horrific fall in Boston that injured his back.
Porziņģis has been injury plagued, and somewhat a shadow of his early days in the league.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

TOO

Post by TOO »

I too think I'd take Scoot, might even take him first.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Kareem and Shaq had long careers but neither one was 7’3”. And Wembanyama could still end up at 7’4”.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

There's always a first. Human genetics improves gradually year after year.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

So what’s the prospect rankings from this century?

I think I’ve got it..

1. LeBron
2. Wembanyama
3. Zion
4. KD/Oden
6. AD

Not sure there’s another clear no doubt top guy. I’d put Luka up there because for a good chunk of people he was as can’t miss as they come, but there was still a decent amount that had serious questions…and clearly he didn’t even go top 2. Everyone else here did. Wiggins was way high as a high schooler, but had faded by the draft. He still went 1, but Embiid was seen as the better prospect, just injuries kept him going 1st. KAT was very high, but had competition at times from Okafor, KP, and D-Lo. Ant went 1, but his stock fell during his college year as well.

Other top picks were Wall, Kyrie, Rose, Griffin, Simmons, Cade. Forgot about Yao who was a no-doubt 1st pick, but was that completely basketball related? I don’t exactly remember him being seen as a league changer, but that was a long time ago.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Some of you guys are crazy. Never pass on the guy who does things you've never seen before. It's always worth the risk.

What's the worst that could happen, you'd have to pick in the lottery again?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

People saying they’d pick Scoot are overthinking this.