Monty Williams

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Monty Williams will...

Poll ended at Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:38 pm

No longer be the Suns' head coach by training camp 2023
10%
No longer be the Suns' head coach by training camp 2024
5%
Still be the Suns' head coach for training camp 2024
85%

Total votes: 20

Split T

Re: Monty Williams

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:27 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:25 pm
Sorry, JeremyG, this report just isn't very plausible without further corroboration. It doesn't match anything we know about the people involved. Monty Williams doesn't do/say stuff like that. If he did, and we get actual reliable sourcing on it, then we can revisit. But this is a real stretch.
Nobody said he told Crowder directly, "I want you off the team." But Gambo is saying that getting him off the team was his intention in calling him over the summer to tell him he wouldn't start.
Only Monty knows his intention…you think he called him to piss him off so he’d request a trade? That just doesn’t make sense…ya it’s super dumb if he did that, but it just doesn’t pass the smell test. I’m sure Monty called and talked to Jae to tell him he wouldn’t start and he may have even wanted Jae off the team at the time, but I think it’s more likely he decided he didn’t want Jae around after how he responded to being benched.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Jae would make some sense but he’s still not a point of attack defender, which is really what we need. We need someone to defend Ja and Steph

TOO

Post by TOO »

Fuck Jae Crowder. Just had to let it go one last time.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:36 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
Sorry, JeremyG, this report just isn't very plausible without further corroboration. It doesn't match anything we know about the people involved. Monty Williams doesn't do/say stuff like that. If he did, and we get actual reliable sourcing on it, then we can revisit. But this is a real stretch.
Nobody said he told Crowder directly, "I want you off the team." But Gambo is saying that getting him off the team was his intention in calling him over the summer to tell him he wouldn't start.
Only Monty knows his intention…you think he called him to piss him off so he’d request a trade? That just doesn’t make sense…ya it’s super dumb if he did that, but it just doesn’t pass the smell test. I’m sure Monty called and talked to Jae to tell him he wouldn’t start and he may have even wanted Jae off the team at the time, but I think it’s more likely he decided he didn’t want Jae around after how he responded to being benched.
Yes, I do.

Gambo's words: "Monty didn't want him...He thought that Jae was too difficult to manage, so he called Jae in the summer." Gambo just repeated the story and again it sounds like Monty wanted him off the team before the phone call: http://s176125483.onlinehome.us/gambomontycrowder2.mp3
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I see we're back to the bullshit here.

Even if all this is true exactly like it's being told, so what? In the end, Monty Williams is a better coach than Jae Crowder is a player.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Again I’m not really sure why you’re just taking Gambo’s word as gospel…but whatever. This is a non story for me. If Monty wanted Jae off the team I trust it was for a good reason.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:04 pm
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
Yes, I do.

Gambo's words: "Monty didn't want him...He thought that Jae was too difficult to manage, so he called Jae in the summer." Gambo just repeated the story and again it sounds like Monty wanted him off the team before the phone call: http://s176125483.onlinehome.us/gambomontycrowder2.mp3
Thanks for sharing Jeremy…. But I just wouldn’t hang on ANY word Gambo says. He’s a proverbial bullshitter and constantly likes to make mountains out of mole hills.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Kryptonic wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:11 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:04 pm
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
Yes, I do.

Thanks for sharing Jeremy…. But I just wouldn’t hang on ANY word Gambo says. He’s a proverbial bullshitter and constantly likes to make mountains out of mole hills.
Exactly. He was analyzing the Ishbia press conference yesterday and said, essentially, that he didn't sound like he wanted to be too aggressive and didn't lay out a plan for the roster this season. No shit. Why would he. And he was wrong about not being to aggressive, clearly.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:09 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:02 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:48 pm
Summary, per Gambo:

Monty didn't want Jae. Thought he was too difficult to manage. Thought the same about McGee. He called Jae in the summer and James Jones wasn't aware (apparently he's supposed to run all of his conversations with players by the GM?). He told Jae he wasn't going to start. Cam was going to start over him. Monty didn't want Jae on the team. Wanted them to move Jae. Jae told them "give me an extension if you're going to put me in this role or trade me". Then they determined that he was just going to stay home. Now he's on the Bucks, in a good situation. Suns didn't like anything the Bucks had to offer so they never pulled the trigger.

So, Monty didn't' want to coach him, told him he wasn't going to start without letting James Jones know. That's somehow a fireable offense now? Because the GM needs to know these things and the GM should decide who should start, apparently?
Gambo said the phone call was because Monty did not want him on the team. Monty literally pushed Crowder off the team, intentionally, without Jones wanting him to! We could have him right now as a starting forward next to Durant, if Monty hadn't done that!

It's one thing if a coach goes to his GM and says, "I need this guy off the team." But to go behind the GM's back to force the player off the team???!
At the detriment of the team, potentially, because he was a problematic player? Is the coach not a good judge of character and chemistry? Look, guys aren't going to outright bitch about Jae when asked about him because it's a close-knit league. Just because guys on the current roster have love for Jae doesn't mean coach isn't wrong in the fact that he was difficult to coach and a potential problem on the roster and in the locker room. Who gives a rats ass about "we could have him right now!" if it's at the expense of being difficult to coach and difficult to maintain proper team chemistry.
All his teammates love him but he might become a locker room cancer in the future? That's quite the stretch.

As for Gambo, I think he likely has the facts on this one, but sure, it's possible he's wrong.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

So did Monty tell the front office: "hey, I called Jae because I wanted him off the team"?!

That sounds like someone's conjecture: either Gambo's or Gambo's source.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I'm just glad we're revisiting this thread. After the massive trade, it just makes perfect sense :roll:
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

TOO

Post by TOO »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:41 pm
So did Monty tell the front office: "hey, I called Jae because I wanted him off the team"?!

That sounds like someone's conjecture: either Gambo's or Gambo's source.
Someone has an ajaenda.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Whatever, conjecture or not. Coach pop is the greatest and no doubt had his limits with player personalities. I don’t think Monty falls into the category of being a coach out of touch with the realities of coaching.
We know the carousel of coaching is like. It’s not all one’s and zeros. Monty is a real one.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:41 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:49 pm
It’s really not controversial. Im pretty sure it’s you and then everybody else. Lol.
It's only a matter of time before everybody else joins me.
It’s good to see most of the fanbase starting to wake up to Monty’s shortcomings. The sooner everyone realizes that Monty is not the coach to lead us to a championship, the sooner we can get a coach who can.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

The sooner the organization ships out that half ass effort, inconsistent 7ft center, the quicker we can approach a championship. It's the goddamn playoffs and he still doesn't know how to show up. You've got KD out rebounding him and getting 3 blocks. Where the fuck is our useless giant?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I'm coming around to having to move on from Williams. He just doesn't seem to have the high level basketball coach chops we need. I don't know. Maybe Denver is just that much better than us. Seems like we should be able to get more from our bench though. Also, we should be able to take better advantage of KD.
"Be Legendary."

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Unless you can trade for Popovich or Lue with our second rounders, idk who you would get that’s better than Monty. Maybe Nurse but not sure if actually that much better, tbh.

I’m fine with keeping Monty another year.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I think that Nurse is a better X's & O's coach, and can probably scheme better. He's also a very good shooting coach. Monty was perfect when this team was super young and needed nurturing. Not sure that Monty has been given the right roster to do the job, which is a failure of Jones.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Even though Monty has his shortcomings, I think you would be hard pressed to find a better replacement. Honestly, I'd like to see Mike D'Antoni come back in some sort of role to support Monty. It just seems our offense is sputtering a bit and I think maybe moving Ayton to the PF spot and doing something there could be beneficial.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t think it’s fair to put this teams failure on Monty. It was thrown together at the deadline and then the main piece missed basically the rest of the season. I thought we’d gel quicker as well, but this roster isn’t good. It’s hard to blame for vet min guys not stepping up and playing significant roles. The bench is overmatched. He gets next year to figure it out for me.