Monty Williams

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Monty Williams will...

Poll ended at Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:38 pm

No longer be the Suns' head coach by training camp 2023
10%
No longer be the Suns' head coach by training camp 2024
5%
Still be the Suns' head coach for training camp 2024
85%

Total votes: 20

Wally_West

Re: Monty Williams

Post by Wally_West »

Jeremy is right, we should fire Monty and have Ayton pull double duty as Player/Coach. Yaaas Queen, let’s go!

#CoAchYTON

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I didn't invent the alphabet but the same letters have been put together by other people before me who agree with my opinions.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:44 pm
By the way I'm not the one who invented the hashtag #FireMonty. There was a long campaign by New Orleans fans for that years ago, because they were frustrated that Monty did not know how to use Anthony Davis or get him the ball enough. Sound familiar?
Here's a great example:

"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Shabazz wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:12 pm
If Ayton didn’t dribble like Stanley from The Office, he wouldn’t need other players to constantly get him the ball in a position to score.

Yeah because there have never been any great centers who weren't great at dribbling. :roll:

TOO

Post by TOO »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:36 pm
Shabazz wrote:
If Ayton didn’t dribble like Stanley from The Office, he wouldn’t need other players to constantly get him the ball in a position to score.

Yeah because there have never been any great centers who weren't great at dribbling. :roll:
Good thing nobody is talking about a great center.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Hahahaha this is so awesome! Since this isn't me, and he isn't on the #FireMonty bandwagon (quite yet lol), hopefully you guys will listen to him. Also, tonight's starting lineup hilariously confirms what he was saying about the guards.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Monty has his warts, but it's still more of Jones problem than a Monty problem.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

JeremyG wrote:
Shabazz wrote:

I think I get what you’re trying to say, but I’d counter with: find me one good offense, in the year 2023, that runs primarily through posting up the team’s center (bonus points if that center avoids contact).

Embiid, Jokic, Bam, they all get post touches, but that’s just a portion of their teams’ offense. They can all create from the perimeter. Ayton gets the ball plenty at the top of the key, he just never looks to attack from there. It’s all slingshot 3s or handoffs to a weaving wing player.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:35 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:44 pm
By the way I'm not the one who invented the hashtag #FireMonty. There was a long campaign by New Orleans fans for that years ago, because they were frustrated that Monty did not know how to use Anthony Davis or get him the ball enough. Sound familiar?
Here's a great example:

Every single player above AD is a playmaker on that list, of course they got the ball more. Booker has been super low on touches in the Monty era too, should we complain about that?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JeremyG wrote:
Shabazz wrote:

Dude, you’re stuck in the past. That was 30 years ago. Enough. He’s not great at anything consistently except for being the softest starting center in the league.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Wow, the Monty thing is even worse than what Gambo tweeted. He's talking about it right now. He should have been fired for doing what he did.

I will admit, though, that the KD trade does give Monty some job security...for now.
Last edited by JeremyG on Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:50 pm
Wow, the Monty thing is even worse than what Gambo tweeted. He's talking about it right now. He should have been fired for doing what he did.
OK, man. Thanks.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:51 pm
JeremyG wrote:
OK, man. Thanks.
Lol, you'll have to listen to it later, I don't want to get any details wrong, but he went behind Jones's back with Crowder.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:52 pm
Superbone wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
OK, man. Thanks.
Lol, you'll have to listen to it later, I don't want to get any details wrong, but he went behind Jones's back with Crowder.
What’s the story

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

It's these sort of nonsense posts that bring me out of my funk of feeling back for attacking the DA takes that Jeremy has. I didn't' know it was Monty's job to neglect coaching the team to make sure he's utilizing Ayton the right way. I didn't know he was supposed to stop focusing on winning and instead focus on maximizing Ayton. I didn't know we were cheering for the Phoenix Ayton's. All this time I thought I was cheering for the Phoenix Suns.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

JeremyG wrote:
Superbone wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
OK, man. Thanks.
Coach went behind Jones's back how? It's Coach Monty's job to decide which guys to play and who should start.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:08 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Superbone wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
OK, man. Thanks.
What’s the story
Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:36 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Superbone wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
OK, man. Thanks.
Coach went behind Jones's back how? It's Coach Monty's job to decide which guys to play and who should start.
I was able to grab the audio now: http://s176125483.onlinehome.us/gambomo ... 020923.mp3

In addition to the tidbit about Monty going behind Jones's back, Gambo basically confirmed everything that Crowder claimed last month: https://arizonasports.com/story/3460737 ... d-him-out/
“I’ve spoken to every player that I’ve played with on that team and they all have stressed how much they miss [me] and respect my decision, and I’m thankful for their understanding,” Crowder told Haynes with a text message. “This move of pushing me out the door was a blindsided hit to not only me but my teammates, as you can see from speaking to them and myself and the conversations we’ve had behind closed doors.

[...] I am thankful my teammates appreciated my leadership. I’m confused and hurt my coaches didn’t appreciate the things I brought to our team and organization. And this has nothing to do with financial or contract differences.”

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Apparently I'm blocked by Gambo on Twitter? Whatever. I don't think I've ever even Tweeted the guy.
Last edited by AmareIsGod on Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:41 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:08 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Superbone wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
OK, man. Thanks.
What’s the story
Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:36 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Superbone wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
OK, man. Thanks.
I was able to grab the audio now: http://s176125483.onlinehome.us/gambomo ... 020923.mp3

In addition to the tidbit about Monty going behind Jones's back, Gambo basically confirmed everything that Crowder claimed last month: https://arizonasports.com/story/3460737 ... d-him-out/
“I’ve spoken to every player that I’ve played with on that team and they all have stressed how much they miss [me] and respect my decision, and I’m thankful for their understanding,” Crowder told Haynes with a text message. “This move of pushing me out the door was a blindsided hit to not only me but my teammates, as you can see from speaking to them and myself and the conversations we’ve had behind closed doors.

[...] I am thankful my teammates appreciated my leadership. I’m confused and hurt my coaches didn’t appreciate the things I brought to our team and organization. And this has nothing to do with financial or contract differences.”
Putting on my headphones now to give this a listen.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Summary, per Gambo:

Monty didn't want Jae. Thought he was too difficult to manage. Thought the same about McGee. He called Jae in the summer and James Jones wasn't aware (apparently he's supposed to run all of his conversations with players by the GM?). He told Jae he wasn't going to start. Cam was going to start over him. Monty didn't want Jae on the team. Wanted them to move Jae. Jae told them "give me an extension if you're going to put me in this role or trade me". Then they determined that he was just going to stay home. Now he's on the Bucks, in a good situation. Suns didn't like anything the Bucks had to offer so they never pulled the trigger.

So, Monty didn't' want to coach him, told him he wasn't going to start without letting James Jones know. That's somehow a fireable offense now? Because the GM needs to know these things and the GM should decide who should start, apparently?