Monty Williams

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Monty Williams will...

Poll ended at Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:38 pm

No longer be the Suns' head coach by training camp 2023
10%
No longer be the Suns' head coach by training camp 2024
5%
Still be the Suns' head coach for training camp 2024
85%

Total votes: 20

Split T

Re: Monty Williams

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:39 pm
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:13 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:41 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:49 pm
It’s really not controversial. Im pretty sure it’s you and then everybody else. Lol.
It's only a matter of time before everybody else joins me.
Because that's the life cycle of a coaching job, not because you are currently on the right.
Not always. Some coaches get to retire after decades on the job, like Pop will likely be doing soon.
He’s a huge exception. Monty is already top 10 in longest tenured coaches. Only 4 head coaches have been with their teams 5 years(Pop, Spo, Kerr, Malone)

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:41 pm
Split T wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:57 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:39 pm
I chose the first option, but if not, then 2024 is almost certain, since CP3 will almost definitely be gone by then if not next summer, and a new owner will be a year into owning the team.
Not every new owner gets rid of the coach…I’m not sure why you feel so confident a coach who has been pretty universally praised is on his way out. They’d have to fire him as well as his contract runs through that time.
I believe he is very close to losing Ayton.
Fixed it for you

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

2020-21: 2 games away from winning the NBA Finals and should've won COTY
2021-22: Sets a franchise record for regular season wins and wins COTY

Yeah, lets talk about firing the guy... :roll:
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:43 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:49 pm
It’s really not controversial. Im pretty sure it’s you and then everybody else. Lol.
Because that's the life cycle of a coaching job, not because you are currently on the right.
Not always. Some coaches get to retire after decades on the job, like Pop will likely be doing soon.
He’s a huge exception. Monty is already top 10 in longest tenured coaches. Only 4 head coaches have been with their teams 5 years(Pop, Spo, Kerr, Malone)
So you're actually making my point for me? That Monty is unlikely to be around for more than another year or two? :lol:

One more underachieving season and he will see how unforgiving this league is.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:48 pm

Well, you do know there's a COTY curse right? Dwane Casey comes to mind.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:50 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:48 pm

Well, you do know there's a COTY curse right? Dwane Casey comes to mind.
Because they wanted to hire the guy who everyone has known is significantly better at the job and won COTY two years later.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:49 pm
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

So you're actually making my point for me? That Monty is unlikely to be around for more than another year or two? :lol:

Nah, your point is he’s no good and lost the team and will get fired.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:55 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:49 pm
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:

Nah, your point is he’s no good and lost the team and will get fired.
I think it's likely by the end of this season, yes. (Mainly because I expect another underachieving season.)

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Exactly which season under Monty has been "underachieving"?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:31 pm
Last season. How is that a question?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Never mind. This is why stopped engaging in debates with you. Carry on.

TOO

Post by TOO »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:37 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:31 pm
Last season. How is that a question?
:lol: good grief.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Wow. I’ve haven’t heard anyone (other than James & Monty) say that last season was anything other than a complete failure.

How is it not underachieving for a 64-win team to not make it out of the second round? And mainly due to abysmal coaching and being completely out-coached in both rounds.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I don't see Monty getting fired anytime soon unless the team falls off a cliff.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:27 am
Wow. I’ve haven’t heard anyone (other than James & Monty) say that last season was anything other than a complete failure.

How is it not underachieving for a 64-win team to not make it out of the second round? And mainly due to abysmal coaching and being completely out-coached in both rounds.
Complete failure would be the Lakers…they still won 64 games and set the franchise record for wins. You don’t throw away a perfectly good coach over 5 bad games. Remember all the coaches we had before Monty…you want Igor or Watson back? Triano? Hornacek? Hunter? Gentry? Porter?

Monty is pretty easily a top 2 coach of the last 25 years for us.

Carno

Post by Carno »

JeremyG wrote:

Last season was anything other than a complete failure.

There you go.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:40 am
JeremyG wrote:

Complete failure would be the Lakers…they still won 64 games and set the franchise record for wins. You don’t throw away a perfectly good coach over 5 bad games. Remember all the coaches we had before Monty…you want Igor or Watson back? Triano? Hornacek? Hunter? Gentry? Porter?

Last season was a complete failure. We were far and away the best team in the league in the regular season, coming off a finals run the year before, and we collapsed against a significantly inferior opponent by all measures.

If you don’t think last year was a failure, you have accepted failure as being “good enough.”

Now, to call last year a failure you must also recognize the year before as a smashing success. Nobody expected this team to be competing at the level it has the last two years when Monty was hired and CP3 was brought on. They raised expectations by performing the way that they have.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:39 am
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

Last season was a complete failure. We were far and away the best team in the league in the regular season, coming off a finals run the year before, and we collapsed against a significantly inferior opponent by all measures.

If you don’t think last year was a failure, you have accepted failure as being “good enough.”

Now, to call last year a failure you must also recognize the year before as a smashing success. Nobody expected this team to be competing at the level it has the last two years when Monty was hired and CP3 was brought on. They raised expectations by performing the way that they have.
I take issue with complete failure…if you’re only going to judge by the end result then every single year of the suns existence has been a complete failure…

Yes ultimately we failed and it was a disappointing/underwhelming finish. No arguments there, but that was still the best regular season team in suns history.

I just don’t like the all or nothing mentality. I want a championship, but I’m going to enjoy the other stuff too.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

JeremyG wrote:

It’s funny how you can be so harsh on team results and even more brutal on Monty, but all the opposite regarding Ayton.

Although, I see your point here. Before last season, most “experts” called the Suns finals appearance as a fluke, and were the most dismissed team coming from a Finals in a while. Three Doritos later, Suns are crushing the league and setting franchise records, so new expectations are formed, with people dismissing the early rounds and talking about Finals’ matchups and a potentially epic clash with Golden State, then the Mavericks happened, and on top of that, Game 7 happened.

So, is this a regular team that overachieved on regular season and came back to earth in the playoffs, or a juggernaut that fell really short two rounds early? Except for that Game 7 collapse, I would say none of the above, but I can see why you argue about complete failure, you are using the second set of expectations. Now please also use a new set of expectations for Ayton, and if Championship or nothing is your bar, the guy had also fell tremendously short from what is is suppose to deliver EVERY day.

Attacking the team and the coach to cover your kid’s faults is cheap to say the least.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

Just because we had bottom-of-the-barrel coaches before--due to a cheap owner--means we should settle for anyone who's better than they were? That's not my bar. My bar is having a coach who knows how to best utitlize his players and who can coach in the playoffs--the most important time for coaching.

Where did I say anything about firing him over 5 bad games? I said I can see him getting fired if we have another underachieving season.