Game Day: Suns (1-0) @ Blazers (1-0), Fri 10/21/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Shabazz

Re: Game Day: Suns (1-0) @ Blazers (1-0), Fri 10/21/22

Post by Shabazz »

I haven’t seen anything to disprove my theory that his deal with the devil expired on his 37th birthday.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Yep has been bad ever since then

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:43 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:25 pm
I don’t know what people were expecting from a 37-year old point guard. I think he’s playing pretty well for his age. If people thought he would still be playing at an All-Star level this season, that’s just completely unrealistic. Like I said awhile back, LeBron is an incredibly rare exception to aging.
I mean he did it last year…I don’t think it’s crazy to expect a similar level of play. Some fall off is to be expected, but so far he doesn’t look like the same player. He could turn it on and carry us for a quarter or a half last year. We haven’t seen him turn it on this year though. It’s literally only been 2 games though
Yeah, exactly. How do you predict a cliff?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:59 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:43 pm
JeremyG wrote:
I don’t know what people were expecting from a 37-year old point guard. I think he’s playing pretty well for his age. If people thought he would still be playing at an All-Star level this season, that’s just completely unrealistic. Like I said awhile back, LeBron is an incredibly rare exception to aging.
I mean he did it last year…I don’t think it’s crazy to expect a similar level of play. Some fall off is to be expected, but so far he doesn’t look like the same player. He could turn it on and carry us for a quarter or a half last year. We haven’t seen him turn it on this year though. It’s literally only been 2 games though
Yeah, exactly. How do you predict a cliff?
By the edge?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

pickle wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:57 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:32 pm
pickle wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:32 am
Not that big on Nurk anymore. Used to think he was very nimble, but he’s clearly a bit of a poor fit for the modern game.
How did you like that 20/17 performance? :P
That’s kind of silly, especially coming from you, Inf. If we are going to be rational, that he put up 20/17 just exposes the Suns’ inability to rebound and further exposes our inability to play him off the floor because we have a team that collectively doesn’t attack the basket and put foul pressure on the bigs nor do we have effective ball handlers that can get around a lumbering big or abuse them in space, especially with CP3 playing super tentatively.

So no, I didn’t like that 20/17 performance at all, and it doesn’t change my opinion that Nurk isn’t a particularly good fit for the modern game either.
Just joking around.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

JeremyG wrote:
I don't really care about Paul, but come on Jeremy: he is averaging 7 ppg on 32% shooting. I think there is some middle ground between that and "All-Star level." So I get why some would be concerned.

Personally, I'm more concerned with Booker and Ayton. That is the future. The Suns aren't winning a championship counting on Chris Paul.

pickle

Post by pickle »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:29 pm
pickle wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
pickle wrote:
Not that big on Nurk anymore. Used to think he was very nimble, but he’s clearly a bit of a poor fit for the modern game.
That’s kind of silly, especially coming from you, Inf. If we are going to be rational, that he put up 20/17 just exposes the Suns’ inability to rebound and further exposes our inability to play him off the floor because we have a team that collectively doesn’t attack the basket and put foul pressure on the bigs nor do we have effective ball handlers that can get around a lumbering big or abuse them in space, especially with CP3 playing super tentatively.

So no, I didn’t like that 20/17 performance at all, and it doesn’t change my opinion that Nurk isn’t a particularly good fit for the modern game either.
Just joking around.
Sorry inf, I overreacted. Much as I tell myself it’s just basketball and it doesn’t matter, it still gets to me. I predicted that the suns will be fighting for the 6th seed this year, but seeing it come true still hurts. Fuck.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

No problem :)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

pickle wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:23 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:29 pm
pickle wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
pickle wrote:

Just joking around.
Sorry inf, I overreacted. Much as I tell myself it’s just basketball and it doesn’t matter, it still gets to me. I predicted that the suns will be fighting for the 6th seed this year, but seeing it come true still hurts. Fuck.
Wow, you’ve already seen it?

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

They only played three games so far and are one barely missed tip in from being 3/0. I don’t know what you are seeing come true.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Nobody can see the future, but it took a tremendous effort to come back from 22 down to beat the Mavs, when the team should have had every reason to run those guys out of the building. Then, the next game, we lose to the Blazers after a hot start with a 10+ point lead early, and with a 5 point lead with less than 2 min to go in overtime. All of our problems that everyone already knows so I won't beat that dead horse any further have been more than amplified in the first two games of the season.

Are we going to suck real bad? No, we aren't the Kings, but these two games have shown me enough to think that there's almost no chance this team truly contends for the championship this year, and given that we have no help around the corner in the way of young prospects, it frustrates me.

I'm not making any declarations on the final record. Maybe the team does well and we are in the top 4, but that's hardly any consolation. But that we struggle to beat two straight teams that I think are going to be in the 4-6 range in the West is painful to watch.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I actually think the Suns have looked better than what I expected, minus the first half against Dallas. I came into the season expecting them to make the playoffs and get beat in the first or second round. Nothing I've seen has changed that expectation, but I still feel they've looked a little bit better than I expected.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'm not so much surprised as just reminded of how good this team is at winning games, especially Booker and Paul. They have enough talent and quality coaching to almost never get blown out in the second half of games, and then it's just down to a chess match of possessions with two of the best shot creators in the league.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Generally speaking I'd say I'm on the positive side with things, which is how I've maintained my Suns fandom all these years.

I think having Landry back helps.
I'm happy with Landale.
I'm thrilled for a change of ownership and the possibilities that might lead to.
I look forward to DA taking the next step.
I like that Mikal is being far more aggressive this year even if he's not quite hitting 3s yet.
I think Booker is taking the next step.
I have high hopes for Cam J.
I hold out hope that CP3 is pacing himself and going to pick up his offense in a month or two.

However, I forget if it was Split or Bazz who posted that we have a solid rotation of 8th men and beyond, but we are missing good 6th and 7th men, and I tend to agree. Also, we lack size and toughness at the 4 spot, and I don't look forward to that game with the Pelicans. I hate this feeling as a fan, that there are certain styles and teams that are our Kryptonite.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

They have played better than I expected. I expected the starters to do well of course. It was only a matter of time before Cam started. This is the lineup I think a lot of us thought would happen eventually. I had low expectations from the bench and they have surpassed those, especially with their defense. I have to think the Crowder thing will resolve and we will get a piece in return that helps the situation.

I don’t know what to think about CP3 yet. He isn’t putting up great numbers yet. It doesn’t seem like he is trying to either. It could just be him taking it easy to start the season and pace himself while letting others get their rhythm. A couple of games ago he didn’t play the last chunk of the game and even sat back away from the team during a huddle. He was just staring out into space while they were discussing the play out of the timeout. I thought it was weird and sent up alarm bells. It’s probably nothing.

Ayton has been playing fine by me. I don’t know how big the rift was at the end of the season between him and Monty. There was talk about them not speaking to each other. It’s probably not true but, I get the feeling there is going to be a big trade at some point involving him at some point this season. Hope I’m wrong. I like this starting five. 4/5 were drafted by the Suns and groomed into their roles. That’s impressive.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

INFORMER wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:31 pm
I actually think the Suns have looked better than what I expected, minus the first half against Dallas. I came into the season expecting them to make the playoffs and get beat in the first or second round. Nothing I've seen has changed that expectation, but I still feel they've looked a little bit better than I expected.
I'd think that they are a conference semifinals or conference finals team, with a puncher's chance of gettting back into the finals. But I'd rather have them start building long-term around Booker and Ayton.

Booker is starting to look like a true top-10 player, the way he's able to get into the lane and make plays for others around him. I haven't seen him play the role of on-court maestro nearly this well before. The danger, of course, is that his handles are still a bit lacking for this, and that he could be crowded into irrelevance. Yet, if he can recognize the double coming just a bit earlier, he'd truly be worthy of being the best SG in the league, not in a down year like this one but even in a good year. He can jump from being Brandon Roy to something closer to a Kobe or Jordan -- although I'm struggling to remember an SG as good at playmaking as Booker is starting to look. Almost like a PG without the handles.

Ayton is on the right path, his clunker the last game aside. He forgets to be involved when he's not in the spotlight and I agree with the folks who say that he gets in the habit of watching the Booker show.

Build around these two and Bridges, everyone else including Cam Johnson are non-core. I'd love to see them fill out the rest of the roster with persnickety types like the Aussie -- and Cam Payne when's not hanging his head.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:35 pm
I'm not so much surprised as just reminded of how good this team is at winning games, especially Booker and Paul. They have enough talent and quality coaching to almost never get blown out in the second half of games, and then it's just down to a chess match of possessions with two of the best shot creators in the league.
What?? Paul literally had to be benched in clutch time in order for us to win the first game.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

pickle wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:10 pm
Generally speaking I'd say I'm on the positive side with things, which is how I've maintained my Suns fandom all these years.

I think having Landry back helps.
I'm happy with Landale.
I'm thrilled for a change of ownership and the possibilities that might lead to.
I look forward to DA taking the next step.
I like that Mikal is being far more aggressive this year even if he's not quite hitting 3s yet.
I think Booker is taking the next step.
I have high hopes for Cam J.
I hold out hope that CP3 is pacing himself and going to pick up his offense in a month or two.

However, I forget if it was Split or Bazz who posted that we have a solid rotation of 8th men and beyond, but we are missing good 6th and 7th men, and I tend to agree. Also, we lack size and toughness at the 4 spot, and I don't look forward to that game with the Pelicans. I hate this feeling as a fan, that there are certain styles and teams that are our Kryptonite.
That's better. You sounded like Chicken Little before. And get used to that feeling. Every team has their Krptonite.

"Be Legendary."