Game Day: Suns (1-1) @ Clippers (2-0), Sun 10/23/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: Game Day: Suns (1-1) @ Clippers (2-0), Sun 10/23/22

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:48 am
djy2j wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:47 am
Hell yeah! Clippers pretty much dog walked from the tip. They didn't look focused at all. Ty Lue should have just fed Marcus Morris all game since he always plays lights out.

CamJ had really nice stretches at the beginning and end. The middle part, not so much. His defense has been a bit underwhelming.

My only Ayton complaint so far is that we heard all about how he worked on different offensive moves all offseason. Heard it from reports, heard it straight from him. But where are they? So far it's either take a quick jump shot or hesitate do some sort of juke then jump shot. It's the exact same limited arsenal he had last year.
You just shined the Jeremy bat signal. :P
Since you're begging for my input... :P

I think a lot of it, especially last game, is that he hardly ever touched the ball, so when he gets it he feels like he has to rush a shot. Get him the ball more, and he may have a chance to think about implementing the moves he's worked on, like we saw in the preseason, instead of just instinctually doing what he's used to because he's shocked to actually touch the basketball.

This is a perfect example from the Blazers game of how much his teammates ignore him--it literally took him calling for the ball 5 times in 1 play before they got it to him:

That should never happen.
Last edited by JeremyG on Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:49 am
You’re right, I mean we’re only paying Ayton the max, he shouldn’t need to learn how to do anything on his own. His teammates need to be better at catering to him.
You've never seen a max center who didn't specialize in dribbling?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:37 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:23 am
Split T wrote:
You’re right, I mean we’re only paying Ayton the max, he shouldn’t need to learn how to do anything on his own. His teammates need to be better at catering to him.
Payne is a point guard though. This is a simple skill you'd expect of a point guard. Asking a center to start making dribble moves far outside of the paint this far in his career vs a lifelong PG being asked to perform a skill he should have learned early on are two different things. Payne not only needs to learn this skill when playing with Ayton but also other bigs. It's why he never did well with McGee and can't play well with Biyambo. He shouldn't only do well with a center that camps at the 3 point line and can make dribble move drives to the hoop. You might as well never play him with a center.
I don’t disagree, I was being over the top on purpose because while yes Payne should learn, we’re paying Ayton max money and we should expect more of him. Payne is about to be a vet min guy next year. I wish he’d be better, but Payne is also who he is at this point and is much easier to replace.
It's not either/or. It's both.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:33 am
Split T wrote:
And to be honest, we don't want Ayton dribbling in a crowd. That's how he gets the ball stripped.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:32 am

This is a perfect example from the Blazers game of how much his teammates ignore him--it literally took him calling for the ball 5 times in 1 play before they got it to him:

There is only 1 missed pass. Payne should have hit him right off the screen. Other than that, there was no good angle to throw him the ball until get got the wide open layup.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:46 am
JeremyG wrote:

There is only 1 missed pass. Payne should have hit him right off the screen. Other than that, there was no good angle to throw him the ball until get got the wide open layup.
Ya they were looking to get it to him the whole time…Lee didn’t have the angle so he passed to Booker…Booker could have maybe just lobbed it up for Ayton but he chose not to…he was definitely wanting to get it to Ayton.

Literally every player looked to get it to Ayton and then they eventually did. They didn’t ignore him at all, they literally spent the whole possession focusing on getting him the ball.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:
You want Rudy? All the 5s that I think are max worthy can dribble. Jokic, Embiid, KAT, Bam

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:42 am
Split T wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:37 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:23 am
Split T wrote:
Payne is a point guard though. This is a simple skill you'd expect of a point guard. Asking a center to start making dribble moves far outside of the paint this far in his career vs a lifelong PG being asked to perform a skill he should have learned early on are two different things. Payne not only needs to learn this skill when playing with Ayton but also other bigs. It's why he never did well with McGee and can't play well with Biyambo. He shouldn't only do well with a center that camps at the 3 point line and can make dribble move drives to the hoop. You might as well never play him with a center.
I don’t disagree, I was being over the top on purpose because while yes Payne should learn, we’re paying Ayton max money and we should expect more of him. Payne is about to be a vet min guy next year. I wish he’d be better, but Payne is also who he is at this point and is much easier to replace.
It's not either/or. It's both.
Sure, but my point is we should expect more from our recently maxed center than from our backup pg making 6 million a year. I wish Josh Okogie could make 3s as well, but I’m not going to get after him for it because he’s a vet min signing and we know what he is. We’re paying Ayton to be our 2nd best player. He has to dribble to be that.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:05 am
JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:
You want Rudy? All the 5s that I think are max worthy can dribble. Jokic, Embiid, KAT, Bam
I'm talking more about traditional centers, like Shaq.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:13 am
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:
LOL.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:04 am
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

Ya they were looking to get it to him the whole time…Lee didn’t have the angle so he passed to Booker…Booker could have maybe just lobbed it up for Ayton but he chose not to…he was definitely wanting to get it to Ayton.

Literally every player looked to get it to Ayton and then they eventually did. They didn’t ignore him at all, they literally spent the whole possession focusing on getting him the ball.
Lol. If they were looking for him the whole possession, then this team is even worse than we thought. Watching the clip more carefully, it was actually 7 times that he had to call for the ball.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:13 am
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:
The game has changed, those centers don’t exist anymore and unless your the best of the best, it’s inefficient to play that way. Ayton is not Shaq, not even in the same stratosphere

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:23 am
Split T wrote:
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

Lol. If they were looking for him the whole possession, then this team is even worse than we thought. Watching the clip more carefully, it was actually 7 times that he had to call for the ball.
I’m starting to think you must be a troll, I’ve never seen someone with such blinders for one player before

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:26 am
JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

I’m starting to think you must be a troll, I’ve never seen someone with such blinders for one player before
I guess Kevin Calabro must have had blinders on too?

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t have a clue who that is

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:32 am
Lol, longtime NBA broadcaster, currently the Blazers' TV play-by-play.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Jeremy, you do know you are hypo-critical of Ayton and hyper-critical of anything you can find to justify your hypo-approach to him, right?

There is nothing wrong with it; I am just trying to confirm you know it exists and is clearly not objective. We all have those things in our lives. Like Saucy's hate of Oubre or Marty's love of the Warriors.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:34 am
Split T wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:32 am
Lol, longtime NBA broadcaster, currently the Blazers' TV play-by-play.
Did he spend the whole broadcast talking about how Ayton is the next Shaq? If not, then no he doesn’t have the same blinders.

One little comment saying we didn’t get it to him under the basket is not what you are doing. Everyone here agrees Payne missed him. Do you think Lee should have made that pass? It wasn’t a good look. I also said Booker maybe could have, he clearly didn’t like the look though, but it’s clear he thought about it. So to recap:

Payne misses a pass.
Lee looks at Ayton and smartly decides not to make the pass.
Booker also looks and decides against it…this one is 50/50.
Bridges finds him for the bucket.

There’s no conspiracy here.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:26 am
JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

If Booker was looking for him, he had plenty of chances to find him. Booker was obviously looking to score, until he got doubled. And I guess by "Literally every player looked to get it to Ayton" you don't mean to include Payne? I've never seen such blinders against one player before.

Split T

Post by Split T »

It’s pointless, I’m not going to debate Ayton with you anymore