Game Day: Suns (1-1) @ Clippers (2-0), Sun 10/23/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: Game Day: Suns (1-1) @ Clippers (2-0), Sun 10/23/22

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:41 am
JeremyG wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:34 am
Split T wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:32 am
I don’t have a clue who that is
Lol, longtime NBA broadcaster, currently the Blazers' TV play-by-play.
Did he spend the whole broadcast talking about how Ayton is the next Shaq? If not, then no he doesn’t have the same blinders.
Stop claiming that's what I'm saying. We were talking about whether you have to dribble a lot to be a max-worthy center, or whether your teammates should be able to find you. That was the only comparison.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:36 am
Jeremy, you do know you are hypo-critical of Ayton and hyper-critical of anything you can find to justify your hypo-approach to him, right?

There is nothing wrong with it; I am just trying to confirm you know it exists and is clearly not objective. We all have those things in our lives. Like Saucy's hate of Oubre or Marty's love of the Warriors.
I think the majority of the fanbase is as frustrated as I am with the way they underutilize Ayton (just not on this forum). For example, look at the replies to the tweet:

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:59 am
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:
Did he spend the whole broadcast talking about how Ayton is the next Shaq? If not, then no he doesn’t have the same blinders.
Stop claiming that's what I'm saying. We were talking about whether you have to dribble a lot to be a max-worthy center, or whether your teammates should be able to find you. That was the only comparison.
My guy, you're arguing that the Suns did not look for Ayton in a game where he literally had more shots/minute than any other Sun and when I'd wager almost every one of those shots was created by a teammate.

Also, please explain what happened at the 13:50 mark of this link: https://nbahd.com/suns-vs-blazers-oct-21-2022/18258/ Looks to me like an open lane to the basket except mean old Jeremy grant gets in Ayton's field of vision causing him to brick a bunny, lest there be some actual contact. I think what Split is advocating for here is a power dribble and strong finish so we could get 2 points.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I wouldn't go so far as saying the "majority" of the fanbase is frustrated at his utilization. I could probably just as easily claim a majority of the fanbase is frustrated at his lack of aggression around the rim.

As far as underutilizing him....thru these 3 games he's matching his career high in FGAs at 14.5/game (2nd on the team) and has a career high usage rate of 25.2% (tied w/Payne for 2nd on the team). And those were the only 2 replies to the tweet.

It was a missed pass by our backup PG, not a season ending mistake or egregious look-off. Let's not make a mountain out of a molehill.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:18 am
I wouldn't go so far as saying the "majority" of the fanbase is frustrated at his utilization. I could probably just as easily claim a majority of the fanbase is frustrated at his lack of aggression around the rim.
I think both claims would be true, if you ran polls on both.
ShelC wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:18 am
As far as underutilizing him....thru these 3 games he's matching his career high in FGAs at 14.5/game (2nd on the team) and has a career high usage rate of 25.2% (tied w/Payne for 2nd on the team). And those were the only 2 replies to the tweet.

It was a missed pass by our backup PG, not a season ending mistake or egregious look-off. Let's not make a mountain out of a molehill.
I made it clear that I was using it purely as an example. There have been probably dozens of times through three games where he was in great position and they didn't get him the ball. But the original discussion was about the Clippers game. I just threw that video clip in there because it was such an obvious example.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:07 am
Indy wrote:
Jeremy, you do know you are hypo-critical of Ayton and hyper-critical of anything you can find to justify your hypo-approach to him, right?

There is nothing wrong with it; I am just trying to confirm you know it exists and is clearly not objective. We all have those things in our lives. Like Saucy's hate of Oubre or Marty's love of the Warriors.
I think the majority of the fanbase is as frustrated as I am with the way they underutilize Ayton (just not on this forum).

For example, look at the replies to the tweet:
1) there are a total of 3 replies to that tweet for an account with 9k followers...

2) You avoided the question.

Here is another one--Do you agree that Ayton shows a shocking lack of aggression? Or that Shaq showed more aggression in anyone ONE of his first 4 seasons than Ayton has shown in his entire 4 seasons? Or that all of the best centers in the league today can dribble except Ayton?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

DA is simultaneously shooting a ton and yet showing nothing new.

He is just catching the ball and taking a ton of weird mid range jump shots. Looking at the box scores you’d think he’s being aggressive but he’s just launching from wherever he catches it. I really need to see him post more or DRIVE with the ball. He’s essentially Kurt Thomas.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I would much rather see him put the ball on the ground, drive to the lane and turn it over 5 times a game attempting to develop that game during the regular season than continue on the path he’s been on his whole career.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:13 am
JeremyG wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:59 am
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:
My guy, you're arguing that the Suns did not look for Ayton in a game where he literally had more shots/minute than any other Sun and when I'd wager almost every one of those shots was created by a teammate.

Also, please explain what happened at the 13:50 mark of this link: https://nbahd.com/suns-vs-blazers-oct-21-2022/18258/ Looks to me like an open lane to the basket except mean old Jeremy grant gets in Ayton's field of vision causing him to brick a bunny, lest there be some actual contact. I think what Split is advocating for here is a power dribble and strong finish so we could get 2 points.
Looks to me like he saw a double-team coming, not an open lane. In that situation, I have no problem with him taking a wide open short jumper. But instead of going straight up, he leaned into it and put it up with only one hand, sort of turning it into an awkward floater. I've noticed him leaning forward into jump shots more this season (including his threes), which is a bit concerning. It usually doesn't end well.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:31 am
Here is another one--Do you agree that Ayton shows a shocking lack of aggression? Or that Shaq showed more aggression in anyone ONE of his first 4 seasons than Ayton has shown in his entire 4 seasons? Or that all of the best centers in the league today can dribble except Ayton?
1. No (every player has their own style)
2. Yes (irrelevant to the point I was making when I mentioned Shaq)
3. No (Ayton can dribble fine. He showed it in preseason.)
Last edited by JeremyG on Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Again - more shots/minute than any other Sun that game with 85% of them (at least) likely being set up by teammates. What are we arguing about here? I'm sure they missed Mikal and Book and Cam on plenty of possessions too. Not every possession has to end with Ayton getting the ball even if he's establishing position. It's not always the optimal play. It's not always an easy pass. And shit happens in a read and react game.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:55 am
Again - more shots/minute than any other Sun that game with 85% of them (at least) likely being set up by teammates. What are we arguing about here? I'm sure they missed Mikal and Book and Cam on plenty of possessions too. Not every possession has to end with Ayton getting the ball even if he's establishing position. It's not always the optimal play. It's not always an easy pass. And shit happens in a read and react game.
Again, the discussion was about the Clippers game. I just used the Blazers video to show the type of thing I'm talking about. As I've said multiple times, I wasn't able to even watch the Blazers game.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:44 am
Shabazz wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:13 am

Looks to me like he saw a double-team coming, not an open lane. In that situation, I have no problem with him taking a wide open short jumper. But instead of going straight up, he leaned into it and put it up with only one hand, sort of turning it into an awkward floater. I've noticed him leaning forward into jump shots more this season (including his threes), which is a bit concerning. It usually doesn't end well.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Shame on you!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:55 am
I've seen Book force that pass for a turnover too. Glad to see he's being more judicial with that pass.
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Thankfully there's only 79 more games to analyze how many times Ayton is overlooked or sprains his vagina trying to perform a layup over 6ft2 players that are trying to guard him.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

pickle

Post by pickle »

Indy wrote:

Uh, Rubio?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori knew his love of Rubio was over the top

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

YOU TAKE THAT BACK

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:55 am
YOU TAKE THAT BACK

Them pitties! Mmm mmm. I can smell the Patchouli penetrating my nostrils.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton