Suns News: Week 2 (10/24-10/30)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Suns News: Week 2 (10/24-10/30)

Post by Split T »

TOO wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:54 pm
Split T wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:32 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:42 pm
Split T wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:25 pm
You guys are crazy, KD is averaging 33 points a game on a 66% TS. We’re good, but we’re not winning a title. We could win a title with KD
Or if James Jones would just upgrade the roster we have, by using some of those picks and expiring contracts.
Depends on what we can get, but ya there is potential there.
I believe this is wishful thinking.
Probably…our picks and expirings can get us players like Harrison Barnes, Eric Gordon, Gordon Hayward, Jordan Clarkson, etc. Don’t think those guys make us title contenders. Makes us better in the regular season and better suited to win the early rounds. Not sure it helps us in the later rounds. Booker will need a true running mate. CP3 doesn’t seem to be that guy anymore. KD definitely is.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:00 pm
TOO wrote:
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:
You guys are crazy, KD is averaging 33 points a game on a 66% TS. We’re good, but we’re not winning a title. We could win a title with KD
Or if James Jones would just upgrade the roster we have, by using some of those picks and expiring contracts.
Probably…our picks and expirings can get us players like Harrison Barnes, Eric Gordon, Gordon Hayward, Jordan Clarkson, etc. Don’t think those guys make us title contenders. Makes us better in the regular season and better suited to win the early rounds. Not sure it helps us in the later rounds. Booker will need a true running mate. CP3 doesn’t seem to be that guy anymore. KD definitely is.
For how long?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Who knows, but he is right now. I don’t think Ayton will ever be.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:09 pm
Split T wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:00 pm
TOO wrote:
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

For how long?
Longer than Ayton ever could be.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think KD has about 2-3 good years left. So acquiring him on his current contract seems like a good value to me. I actually would prefer trading Ayton for him versus trading 5-6 of our rotation guys as was proposed in the summer. I think it would have been hard to lose, say, Bridges and Cam Johnson and a couple other rotation players for KD. We also wouldn't have been able to keep Ayton in that scenario due to the cap. So it would have been CP3, Book, KD, and bantha fodder mostly after that. I would much prefer to use one big contract (Ayton's) to get the salaries close, then add a few more guys like Crowder and a pick or two to seal the deal. Then we keep most of our depth and add an all-time great offensive player. I would be sad to lose Ayton, but I think it would be a big upgrade for us in our ability to have a varied and difficult-to-stop offense especially at the ends of games. And I think we could make up for Ayton's loss by playing our existing reserve centers like Landale and Biyombo and Saric more minutes; I think we'd be much better overall for the first few years after the trade.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Can we get Cam Thomas and Claxton too? That'd be great.

sunset rubdown

Post by sunset rubdown »

Split T wrote:
Sure, I guess his 33 ppg are great but his team is 1-4, they are hardly winning, at all.

Split T

Post by Split T »

sunset rubdown wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:42 pm
Split T wrote:
Sure, I guess his 33 ppg are great but his team is 1-4, they are hardly winning, at all.
Good thing we’re not trading for the whole team…also maybe we should trade for all the 4-1 Jazz players

sunset rubdown

Post by sunset rubdown »

Split T wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:45 pm
sunset rubdown wrote:
Split T wrote:
Good thing we’re not trading for the whole team…also maybe we should trade for all the 4-1 Jazz players
Fine, we would just trade half of our team (we are talking about DA, Bridges, Cam and a bunch of picks), so we would have Book and KD with CP3 on his last legs and a bunch of scrubs just like the Nets now.

Do you want us to be a very good team for the next 7-8 years with our core of Book, DA, Bridges, Cam etc. or to have a very short championship window (one season or maybe two) with just Book, KD and CP3? I know I want former any day of the week.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

How eerie is this
Literally the same stage of the first quarter then was quickly ruled out after going to the locker room. I'm guessing that just like last season, Suns probably take their time with injuries and he misses a few.

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

sunset rubdown wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:13 am
Split T wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:45 pm
sunset rubdown wrote:
Split T wrote:
Fine, we would just trade half of our team (we are talking about DA, Bridges, Cam and a bunch of picks), so we would have Book and KD with CP3 on his last legs and a bunch of scrubs just like the Nets now.

Do you want us to be a very good team for the next 7-8 years with our core of Book, DA, Bridges, Cam etc. or to have a very short championship window (one season or maybe two) with just Book, KD and CP3? I know I want former any day of the week.
No one said anything about Bridges being involved. My suggestion was DA, Cam, and Crowder for KD and Claxton.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Unless there is a true second banana added this team has no championship window. If you jus wanna be a playoff team, cool, but that's not where I want this team to plateau.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't think many here would be okay with trading both Ayton and Bridges for KD. To me it's a package around Ayton, maybe Crowder, other random contracts, and a pick or two.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:36 pm
You're probably right because of his mindset and skillset, but Ayton has looked better this year.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:48 am
Split T wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:36 pm
You're probably right because of his mindset and skillset, but Ayton has looked better this year.
He’s flashed at times, but I need to see more. He hasn’t had his Mikal game like bridges last night.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:28 am
I don't think many here would be okay with trading both Ayton and Bridges for KD. To me it's a package around Ayton, maybe Crowder, other random contracts, and a pick or two.
I think, it would be crazy to no to want KD in Phoenix, but the true question is the PRICE TAG. Those crazy 4 picks-3 swaps packages are just too much for me, unless the Suns somehow gets to keep Booker, Bridges and Ayton. The moment Ayton is going into the package, age, contract and potential should highly cut on the number of picks involved, the same with Bridges, and as Mori said, please no to combining them.

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

My offer for KD would be Crowder, Cam Johnson, Saric and the 4 draft pick and 3 swaps package. Or if they want Ayton, then two picks and 2 swaps.

But personally I’d rather do that package for SGA with Paul going out. I love what Paul has brought to this team. But a core of SGA, Booker, Bridges, Cam and Ayton gives a fun and very formidable team for the next 5 years. Once you have that, then a bench can easily be built.

Split T

Post by Split T »

You have to get the other team to accept as well. I’d love to give up our end of the bench and expiring contracts for KD, but they’re not doing that. There’s no way Brooklyn does it without Ayton or Mikal and they’d probably want both. I wouldn’t move both at this point, but Ayton would have to be in the trade(I strongly prefer to keep Mikal). Saric is there strictly to match contracts and doesn’t add value for Brooklyn.

I’d also love to make the move with 2 or 3 1sts instead of 4, but why would Brooklyn do that? They just say, fine no KD then. They don’t have to trade him. They know we need KD to be a true contender, they know those picks aren’t worth that much to us, they’ll absolutely hold out for all 4 if Ayton is the only player going back. Maybe CamJ takes one away and makes it 3, but if we also want Claxton coming back, I think it’s 4 again.

Does Crowder add value for them? Probably not as he’s an expiring…Maybe we can send Crowder elsewhere to get a pick and hold onto 1 of our own, but ultimately I wouldn’t hesitate to include all 4 1sts with Ayton to get KD.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:55 pm
You have to get the other team to accept as well. I’d love to give up our end of the bench and expiring contracts for KD, but they’re not doing that. There’s no way Brooklyn does it without Ayton or Mikal and they’d probably want both. I wouldn’t move both at this point, but Ayton would have to be in the trade(I strongly prefer to keep Mikal). Saric is there strictly to match contracts and doesn’t add value for Brooklyn.

I’d also love to make the move with 2 or 3 1sts instead of 4, but why would Brooklyn do that? They just say, fine no KD then. They don’t have to trade him. They know we need KD to be a true contender, they know those picks aren’t worth that much to us, they’ll absolutely hold out for all 4 if Ayton is the only player going back. Maybe CamJ takes one away and makes it 3, but if we also want Claxton coming back, I think it’s 4 again.

Does Crowder add value for them? Probably not as he’s an expiring…Maybe we can send Crowder elsewhere to get a pick and hold onto 1 of our own, but ultimately I wouldn’t hesitate to include all 4 1sts with Ayton to get KD.
I would move Mikal before DA any day of the week if the owner would accept paying luxury tax.

DA has a proven elite talent in the postseason and has produced consistently.

Mikals individual defensive contribution is understood but individual defense is overrated and more of a regular season commodity, and he goes into a shell offensively in the playoffs.

There’s more value add in DAs contract relative to Mikals, assuming ownership is okay with having 3 max deals.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:59 pm
Split T wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:55 pm

I would move Mikal before DA any day of the week if the owner would accept paying luxury tax.

DA has a proven elite talent in the postseason and has produced consistently.

Mikals individual defensive contribution is understood but individual defense is overrated and more of a regular season commodity, and he goes into a shell offensively in the playoffs.

There’s more value add in DAs contract relative to Mikals, assuming ownership is okay with having 3 max deals.
Strong disagree from me. I get what you’re saying, but with KD here, we don’t need Mikal to be a consistent offensive contributor in the playoffs. I also value Mikal’s work ethic and commitment to the team. I don’t think Ayton has that. Also think outside of a few teams, what Mikal brings defensively is much more important than what Ayton does.

We can replicate 80% of what an Ayton on offense with CP3/Book/KD in the lineup would look like pretty easily. We would struggle to replicate 80% of what Mikal is.