Game Day: Rockets (1-5) @ Suns (4-1), Sun 10/30/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 26838
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: San Diego, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Game Day: Rockets (1-5) @ Suns (4-1), Sun 10/30/22

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:27 am
To me the video plainly shows Lee hooking his arm into the Rockets player and then push/pull to make it look like the Rocket pushed him and grabbed him. I actually don't think the Rockets did anything wrong; they just got ref-baited by Lee.
Split T wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:58 am
Ya Lee orchestrated the whole thing…at least the after the play stuff. I think the original foul call was right, even if Lee sold it.
What a master Lee must be to pull that off even in instant replay and with the entire Secaucus crew investigating.
"It should burn. It'll probably burn forever. But last season is done." - James Jones

"I don't think I've ever been that angry shooting a basketball." - Cam Johnson

User avatar
SunsRIt
Posts: 1218
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:00 am

Re: Game Day: Rockets (1-5) @ Suns (4-1), Sun 10/30/22

Post by SunsRIt »

That’s the kind of stuff I don’t like. Looks like something Luka or Lebron would do.

User avatar
Uncle_Gene
Posts: 479
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:07 pm

Re: Game Day: Rockets (1-5) @ Suns (4-1), Sun 10/30/22

Post by Uncle_Gene »

I recorded the game and finally had a chance to go back and watch it. How was that a foul on Biyombo on jump ball to start the game ?
Phoenix Suns 2022-23 NBA Champions !

User avatar
Shabazz
Posts: 6039
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:16 pm

Re: Game Day: Rockets (1-5) @ Suns (4-1), Sun 10/30/22

Post by Shabazz »

Uncle_Gene wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:29 pm
I recorded the game and finally had a chance to go back and watch it. How was that a foul on Biyombo on jump ball to start the game ?
Biyombo has to start every game with at least 1 foul. The refs were just ensuring it was applied.

(I also thought that was a totally weird call)
Crowder Trade Targets: Kuzma or Avdija, J. Isaac, J. Holiday + Jalen Johnson, Quickley + Reddish, Clarkson and/or Vanderbilt, Barnes + Lyles or Metu or T. Davis, E. Gordon + KJ Martin, Patrick Williams, Oubre, McConnell + Brissett

User avatar
INFORMER
Posts: 7147
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: Game Day: Rockets (1-5) @ Suns (4-1), Sun 10/30/22

Post by INFORMER »

TOO wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:55 pm
ShelC wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:53 pm
Biz gotta be smarter with his fouls. 3 fouls in 9 minutes can't happen with DA out. Londale is in with the starters, surprised we haven't seen a few minutes of Dario.
Feels like they are saving him either for a trade, for health or for the purpose of not playing his way out of any value.
Dario has racked up plenty of DNPs before this year.

I think Monty genuinely prefers Landale, and I don't think he is crazy to do so. Also, Biyombo brings better D and rebounding to the starting lineup. Maybe if both of them get into foul trouble we might see Dario, but other than that, I don't think there is a reason to play him.
Max Ayton vs Role Player Ayton: 2-2

User avatar
INFORMER
Posts: 7147
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: Game Day: Rockets (1-5) @ Suns (4-1), Sun 10/30/22

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:16 am
The Rockets aren't really that good, just a bunch of athletic wings who can make some plays and get some BS off. They're more a collection of players than pieces that fit together well.
I think that is a James Jones assessment of the Rockets.

Ultimately, the Rockets are in year 2 of their rebuild. The Suns played a classic rebuilding team. They're learning how to plan, but there is a lot of rawness on the roster. Rafael Stone seems to prioritize offensive versatility and athleticism. They like putting five shooters on the floor and definitely believe in taking the 3 ball as much as possible. They haven't cared too much about bringing in guys that defend, although Tate and Martin seem to have potential to be effective defenders, and Eason definitely has two-way ability. They also don't seem to care much about personality/attitude/lockerroom qualities, which is very anti-James Jones philosophy. One exception is that they really value Eric Gordon's professionalism and influence on the young tram. That is one of the reasons why he hasn't been moved yet.

They have a strange infatuation with KPJ's talent, and I've never understood why they love him at the point. I think part of it is playing him there is probably the most viable way of putting him and Green on the court together, but I am still skeptical.
Max Ayton vs Role Player Ayton: 2-2

User avatar
Cap
Posts: 7713
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:08 pm

Re: Game Day: Rockets (1-5) @ Suns (4-1), Sun 10/30/22

Post by Cap »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:57 pm
TOO wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:55 pm
ShelC wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:53 pm
Biz gotta be smarter with his fouls. 3 fouls in 9 minutes can't happen with DA out. Londale is in with the starters, surprised we haven't seen a few minutes of Dario.
Feels like they are saving him either for a trade, for health or for the purpose of not playing his way out of any value.
Dario has racked up plenty of DNPs before this year.

I think Monty genuinely prefers Landale, and I don't think he is crazy to do so. Also, Biyombo brings better D and rebounding to the starting lineup. Maybe if both of them get into foul trouble we might see Dario, but other than that, I don't think there is a reason to play him.
Might be nice to play him at the 4 against Minny. We are otherwise very small at the position and Minny is huge.

User avatar
Cap
Posts: 7713
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:08 pm

Re: Game Day: Rockets (1-5) @ Suns (4-1), Sun 10/30/22

Post by Cap »

BTW, this might be a good game to try an Ayton-Landale lineup, if Ayton were healthy.

Oh well, maybe next time we play Minny, on Nov. 9. Ayton should be back by then, right?

User avatar
pickle
Posts: 2794
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:10 pm

Re: Game Day: Rockets (1-5) @ Suns (4-1), Sun 10/30/22

Post by pickle »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:08 pm
ShelC wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:16 am
The Rockets aren't really that good, just a bunch of athletic wings who can make some plays and get some BS off. They're more a collection of players than pieces that fit together well.
I think that is a James Jones assessment of the Rockets.

Ultimately, the Rockets are in year 2 of their rebuild. The Suns played a classic rebuilding team. They're learning how to plan, but there is a lot of rawness on the roster. Rafael Stone seems to prioritize offensive versatility and athleticism. They like putting five shooters on the floor and definitely believe in taking the 3 ball as much as possible. They haven't cared too much about bringing in guys that defend, although Tate and Martin seem to have potential to be effective defenders, and Eason definitely has two-way ability. They also don't seem to care much about personality/attitude/lockerroom qualities, which is very anti-James Jones philosophy. One exception is that they really value Eric Gordon's professionalism and influence on the young tram. That is one of the reasons why he hasn't been moved yet.

They have a strange infatuation with KPJ's talent, and I've never understood why they love him at the point. I think part of it is playing him there is probably the most viable way of putting him and Green on the court together, but I am still skeptical.
Interesting that you don’t mention Jabari Smith as a defensive plus.

User avatar
INFORMER
Posts: 7147
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: Game Day: Rockets (1-5) @ Suns (4-1), Sun 10/30/22

Post by INFORMER »

pickle wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:40 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:08 pm
ShelC wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:16 am
The Rockets aren't really that good, just a bunch of athletic wings who can make some plays and get some BS off. They're more a collection of players than pieces that fit together well.
I think that is a James Jones assessment of the Rockets.

Ultimately, the Rockets are in year 2 of their rebuild. The Suns played a classic rebuilding team. They're learning how to plan, but there is a lot of rawness on the roster. Rafael Stone seems to prioritize offensive versatility and athleticism. They like putting five shooters on the floor and definitely believe in taking the 3 ball as much as possible. They haven't cared too much about bringing in guys that defend, although Tate and Martin seem to have potential to be effective defenders, and Eason definitely has two-way ability. They also don't seem to care much about personality/attitude/lockerroom qualities, which is very anti-James Jones philosophy. One exception is that they really value Eric Gordon's professionalism and influence on the young tram. That is one of the reasons why he hasn't been moved yet.

They have a strange infatuation with KPJ's talent, and I've never understood why they love him at the point. I think part of it is playing him there is probably the most viable way of putting him and Green on the court together, but I am still skeptical.
Interesting that you don’t mention Jabari Smith as a defensive plus.
It wasn't intentional. He has 2-way potential too, and has already flashed it. But he is also very green; it will take him some time.
Max Ayton vs Role Player Ayton: 2-2

User avatar
Charlie Smithy!
Posts: 1261
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: Game Day: Rockets (1-5) @ Suns (4-1), Sun 10/30/22

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

It's not easy being green.

User avatar
LazarusLong
Posts: 2855
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:58 pm

Re: Game Day: Rockets (1-5) @ Suns (4-1), Sun 10/30/22

Post by LazarusLong »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:03 am
It's not easy being green.
Homage to The Chameleon?
Forget about Sarver--keep your eyes on the prize.

Post Reply