Game Day: Wolves (4-3) @ Suns (5-1), Tues 11/1/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
AmareIsGod

Re: Game Day: Wolves (4-3) @ Suns (5-1), Tues 11/1/22

Post by AmareIsGod »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:05 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:18 pm
Maybe both Towns and Gobert are bums. You can't win with a center as offensively limited as Gobert, and you can't really play Towns at the 4 (too slow/fat) nor 5 (doesn't play defense, doesn't protect the rim). My takeaway from this experiment by Minny is that a team can have only 1 big man, and that big man has to be good on both ends of the floor or else he's a net negative.
That's kind of where I'm at with those guys, especially KAT. If the Wolves made the trade because they didn't think KAT could hold down the 5 spot and he then fails as a PF, where do you go from there?
The reality is that they don't have a PG. D'Angelo Russell sucks. I literally forgot he was on the team multiple times last night. If they had a strong perimeter PG, SG and SF on defense, Gobert and Towns could probably work. There's nobody to cover their deficiencies on the mid range game defensively and there isn't a true PG on offense so you're left with vulnerabilities on both ends of the floors the majority of possessions.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think they need a pg to make Gobert useful on offense. The defense looks like it’s gonna take a bit. Honestly might make sense to trade for Conley from Utah

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Suns are now 129-40 in their last 169 games.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:46 pm
Frauds.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Split T wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:11 pm
I think they need a pg to make Gobert useful on offense. The defense looks like it’s gonna take a bit. Honestly might make sense to trade for Conley from Utah
They have serious maturity issues up and down that roster and their other bit players aren’t vocal. As much as I hate Beverley I thought they really shouldn’t have included him in that trade for Gobert.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

The Bobster wrote:
You'd never guess it from a few folks but it's a tremendous time to be a Suns fan. I've had such pleasure watching this entertaining and highly talented group of unselfish players these last 2+ seasons. Thanks James Jones and Monty Williams!

The dark ages were absolutely brutal.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:19 pm
The Bobster wrote:
You'd never guess it from a few folks but it's a tremendous time to be a Suns fan. I've had such pleasure watching this entertaining and highly talented group of unselfish players these last 2+ seasons. Thanks James Jones and Monty Williams!

You’re being a penis lately lol

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:24 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
The Bobster wrote:

We need some dicks to offset the shit sandwiches from time to time. How quickly we forget how bad it was. I literally wouldn't watch 80% of the regular season games during that horrific stretch.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:30 pm
specialsauce wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
The Bobster wrote:

We need some dicks to offset the shit sandwiches from time to time. How quickly we forget how bad it was. I literally wouldn't watch 80% of the regular season games during that horrific stretch.
That’s fair. At least we’re fun to watch. But I’m not satisfied by regular season wins alone and I need the org to show that they aren’t either

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:34 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:30 pm
specialsauce wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
The Bobster wrote:

That’s fair. At least we’re fun to watch. But I’m not satisfied by regular season wins alone and I need the org to show that they aren’t either
I don't think they are. They definitely seem to have learned to talk less shit, coach doesn't seem worried about pulling a guy (he benched CP3 to end a game) or letting Ayton know how he feels. We have the luxury of trading Crowder on our terms when the right deal comes along. Payne is healthy and looks much better. Cam Johnson is turning the corner. I don't think James Jones is just going to sit tight. He's doing the right thing and seeing how these guys do. I think, come December, we'll have a good idea what kinds of moves we may need to make.

TOO

Post by TOO »

AmareIsGod wrote:
The Bobster wrote:

Imagine getting all in your feelings because people don't agree with your team outlook. There's a whole bunch of you guys genuinely upset because I don't like that Jones hasn't done anything noteworthy in 2 years. Fuckin weirdo.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

TOO wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:53 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
The Bobster wrote:

Imagine getting all in your feelings because people don't agree with your team outlook. There's a whole bunch of you guys genuinely upset because I don't like that Jones hasn't done anything noteworthy in 2 years. Fuckin weirdo.
You ran out of shit sandwich this evening so you decided to eat a shit lolipop? Good to hear from you again. I was worried you might have hurt yourself from the frustrating win last night. I'll get all up in my feelings while being excited about this season.

Also, the above is a joke, right? He's done nothing noteworthy? Don't get me started. Yeah, he's done some dumb shit but nothing noteworthy is a bullshit take. We won 64 games last season. How the hell was he supposed to know we'd implode in the playoffs and start making wholesale changes? He deserves infinite shit for not addressing our PG depth when Payne was horrible. I shit on him last season and postseason for that. But none of us imagined it playing out the way it did. It's so easy to be a hindsight armchair GM.
Last edited by AmareIsGod on Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:12 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

(I keed, I keed. Criticize or praise James Jones to your heart's content.)

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

“I was worried you might have hurt yourself from the frustrating win last night.“ -AmareisGod

😆 We’ve had some of the highest of highs and lows this past year. I’ve been guilty of shit posting when upset. But I look forward to watching a lot more winning this season.
Edited for grammar

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

After living through the grand jury investigation years in the late 80's, and the low point of Robert Sarver years, I have to say if you had told me in 2018 when they had the worst record in the league, that fans would be complaining after a trip to the Finals and a disappoint second round playoff collapse, I would have said "What the fuck is wrong with them?!!"

How quickly we forget where this franchise was 4 years ago. That doesn't mean we shouldn't expect them to do everything in their power to improve, and we shouldn't be critical of mistakes and failures, but God, some people just obsess over them and can't get past them.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

ShadowHawke

Post by ShadowHawke »

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:55 pm
After living through the grand jury investigation years in the late 80's, and the low point of Robert Sarver years, I have to say if you had told me in 2018 when they had the worst record in the league, that fans would be complaining after a trip to the Finals and a disappoint second round playoff collapse, I would have said "What the fuck is wrong with them?!!"

How quickly we forget where this franchise was 4 years ago. That doesn't mean we shouldn't expect them to do everything in their power to improve, and we shouldn't be critical of mistakes and failures, but God, some people just obsess over them and can't get past them.
Almost had Rick Pitino coaching the Suns.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

It's fun to be critical and insist our opinions are correct because it's just basketball. I just can't understand the extreme criticism (firing/replacing) for the people who dug this franchise out of the gutter. They haven't even properly failed (yet).

Like Bob said, life long fans have been through a lot in the last decade, not to mention the entire 55 year history of the club. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

The Bobster wrote:

How many championships?

“But at least we don’t suck” is what I’m hearing. I’m not about butts.

ShadowHawke

Post by ShadowHawke »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:18 pm
The Bobster wrote:

How many championships?
Saucy is channeling his inner Cubby.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

ShadowHawke wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:20 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:18 pm
The Bobster wrote:

How many championships?
Saucy is channeling his inner Cubby.
Cubby wasn’t wrong. If you’re not a winner, you’re a loser.

Sure there’s only one winner every year. But while that winner has changed each year, the only constant is the Phoenix Suns holding up an L year after year. I just want to say one time that we’re that one team.

Jones has been content being good enough. Didn’t acquire a meaningful 6th man at the deadline last season, no upgrades to start the season now. He better make some meaningful moves before the deadline.