Around the League: Week 6 (11/21 - 11/27)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Around the League: Week 3 (10/31-11/6)

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:18 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:50 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:10 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:11 am
Split T wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:08 am

I like to talk about the growth and development of players. It’s not just did they win the title or not for me. I also enjoy the nba as a whole and find this current suns team much better to watch than those years of atrocity in the 2010’s.

That being said, of course I want to win the title and I don’t think this team has a realistic shot. We need to make a move and I think we need to make a big one. Eric Gordon won’t do it. So I’ll let my frustrations be known in that department and don’t blame anyone for being down on this team and their chances without making moves.
On some level, I wouldn't have minded if we had struggled a little initially. I'm worried that the powers that be learn the wrong lessons from this continued regular season success ("Aaron Holiday should do the trick!") when recent playoff history should be our guiding light.
This hits the nail on the head. For some of us, it's just depressing seeing us win all of our games, becaue we know it means the team won't win the championship.
Yeah, winning sucks! Only losing teams win.
Obviously, I'm exaggerating a little. It's fun to win games, but it does cause worry about how the team reacts to the regular season success.
I see. It's the reactions to the wins that's the problem. Are they supposed to mope? I'm not sure what you're looking for. All I've heard is that they want to continue to play their game and continue to improve on it.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:21 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Superbone wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:11 am

On some level, I wouldn't have minded if we had struggled a little initially. I'm worried that the powers that be learn the wrong lessons from this continued regular season success ("Aaron Holiday should do the trick!") when recent playoff history should be our guiding light.
This hits the nail on the head. For some of us, it's just depressing seeing us win all of our games, becaue we know it means the team won't win the championship.
Obviously, I'm exaggerating a little. It's fun to win games, but it does cause worry about how the team reacts to the regular season success.
I see. It's the reactions to the wins that's the problem. Are they supposed to mope? I'm not sure what you're looking for. All I've heard is that they want to continue to play their game and continue to improve on it.
React as in, "We have a great record, so we don't need to make any significant upgrades to our roster." Or, "We have a great record, so there's no need to develop our younger players any further."

We saw how that type of thinking ended up last season.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:28 pm
Superbone wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Superbone wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

React as in, "We have a great record, so we don't need to make any significant upgrades to our roster." Or, "We have a great record, so there's no need to develop our younger players any further."

You’re not wrong, but it’s also premature. There’s 1 obvious move that’s coming and we don’t know what else. If we do nothing, then sure criticism is warranted, but what if we make the moves people are talking about? Then you complained about wins all season for nothing. I’ll enjoy the progress now and I’ll criticize later if they actually sit on their hands and do nothing.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:34 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Superbone wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Superbone wrote:

You’re not wrong, but it’s also premature. There’s 1 obvious move that’s coming and we don’t know what else. If we do nothing, then sure criticism is warranted, but what if we make the moves people are talking about? Then you complained about wins all season for nothing. I’ll enjoy the progress now and I’ll criticize later if they actually sit on their hands and do nothing.
But that's what they've been doing since the Bucks series, how many years of sitting there running it back is ok?
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

There’s one realistic significant upgrade I can think of.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Superbone wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Superbone wrote:

I'm not trying to complain about wins. Wins are great. But I think we all left last playoffs with the thinking that we need to upgrade our top-7 with playoff-reliable options. Cam Payne and Torrey Craig can have great regular seasons. I don't think that would make me trust them in the playoffs any more than I currently do (not a lot), but James Jones may see it differently and opt for a depth move when moving Jae instead of aiming higher.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Superbone wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Superbone wrote:

Even worse. What if we make a bunch of moves the armchair pessimists around here are pining for and chemistry goes to shit, KD is a ballhog or gets injured and we get spanked in the 1st round or miss the playoffs? There are so many unknowns that I'm not sure why people are wanting to mess up what's currently a great thing and an improvement upon the past couple seasons through the early going. We have a better performing bench and a more diverse offense attacking the rim more. Booker is shooting a ton of FTs early on and playing at an elite level. I'm struggling to grasp what people are trying to complain about early on through our early success. It's not an exact duplication of the team and on the court play as last season. We aren't doing the exact same thing as last season, hoping for different results. It's as if players on the roster won't grow or improve and the few changes they made won't change anything at all. And that Monty Williams hasn't and won't learn anything from last season's failures.
Last edited by AmareIsGod on Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:41 pm
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Superbone wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

I'm not trying to complain about wins. Wins are great. But I think we all left last playoffs with the thinking that we need to upgrade our top-7 with playoff-reliable options. Cam Payne and Torrey Craig can have great regular seasons. I don't think that would make me trust them in the playoffs any more than I currently do (not a lot), but James Jones may see it differently and opt for a depth move when moving Jae instead of aiming higher.
They are having good regular seasons this year and I'd argue they played like garbage last regular season. Their garbage regular season performance (injury related or otherwise) was a huge reason we had no gas by the Dallas series of the playoffs and got run off the court.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Cap

Post by Cap »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:38 pm
There’s one realistic significant upgrade I can think of.
Trading the non-playing Crowder for any kind of contributor would be a significant upgrade.

I don’t understand what’s going on with him. How does it benefit him or the team for him not to play?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Superbone wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Superbone wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

Got it. You're talking about outside the team. Specifically James Jones and his cohorts.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:16 am
TOO wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:54 am
If people didn't complain about the Suns what would you guys talk about? We know they aren't winning the title, Jones hasn't drafted well and doesn't seem to care about it, would you just talk about what happens in the regular season from game to game when at the end of the season it doesn't even matter? No title, no draft, just treading water year to year, good luck with that gentlemen.
It's all part of the yin and yang. No complaints here. Complaining about complaining is just as valid. :)
And for the record, I don't want you to change a single thing! I value your humor and sarcasm. How boring would this place be if it was just an echo chamber? I value everyone's contributions here no matter what their perspective is.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:46 pm
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Superbone wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

Even worse. What if we make a bunch of moves the armchair pessimists around here are pining for and chemistry goes to shit, KD is a ballhog or gets injured and we get spanked in the 1st round or miss the playoffs? There are so many unknowns that I'm not sure why people are wanting to mess up what's currently a great thing and an improvement upon the past couple seasons through the early going. We have a better performing bench and a more diverse offense attacking the rim more. Booker is shooting a ton of FTs early on and playing at an elite level. I'm struggling to grasp what people are trying to complain about early on through our early success. It's not an exact duplication of the team and on the court play as last season. We aren't doing the exact same thing as last season, hoping for different results. It's as if players on the roster won't grow or improve and the few changes they made won't change anything at all. And that Monty Williams hasn't and won't learn anything from last season's failures.
That's ridiculously premature. I think our team can win a title with some moves. I don't think it can as presently constructed. I just want us to make those moves.

If it turns out James Jones was just waiting for the right opportunity to strike, I'll be super happy. If he doesn't make moves because he doesn't want to mess up a "great thing," then this season will end in disappointment.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:16 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:26 am
I don't want to give up a Jae/Dario/Cam package for KD, but if I'm forced to, I'll consider it.
I'm assuming it's the inclusion of Cam that gives you pause?
I was being sarcastic. I'd do that trade in a heartbeat (with either Cam).

Cap

Post by Cap »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:30 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
I don't want to give up a Jae/Dario/Cam package for KD, but if I'm forced to, I'll consider it.
How much draft capital would you be willing to include?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:07 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Superbone wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Superbone wrote:

Got it. You're talking about outside the team. Specifically James Jones and his cohorts.
And the coaching staff.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Cap wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:34 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:30 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
How much draft capital would you be willing to include?
If that was the package (where we keep DA and Mikal), a significant amount. I'd hope we could move Jae to a 3rd team who could provide one of the picks. But I'd do 3 picks + 3 swaps. That starting 5 would be insane.

Split T

Post by Split T »

TOO wrote:
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Superbone wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

But that's what they've been doing since the Bucks series, how many years of sitting there running it back is ok?
They brought in McGee/Shamet after the Finals lost…not exactly what I had in mind, but they didn’t completely run it back. Then that team absolutely steam rolled the regular season. Again, I think they should have made a move at the deadline to add someone like Eric Gordon last year, but I can see why they didn’t. They thought they had enough and didn’t want to move future draft capital.

This summer is a tough one to evaluate. You kinda have to give them a pass at first for waiting on the KD situation. You can’t go make moves that impact your ability to get KD. However, they’ve botched the Crowder situation quite a bit and I think there were things we could’ve done to improve the team. We didn’t even use the TPMLE and could’ve potentially acquired guys like Bruce Brown, John Wall, and I’m sure many others that signed for around that amount.

I’m still waiting to make final judgement on the roster until the deadline. I’ll get excited about the new wrinkles in the offense and the improvements from Mikal and the improved play of the bench, but I’ll be upset if this is the team that enters the playoffs.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:36 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:07 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Superbone wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

And the coaching staff.
The coaching staff? How so?
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Split T wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:47 pm
TOO wrote:
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Superbone wrote:

They brought in McGee/Shamet after the Finals lost…not exactly what I had in mind, but they didn’t completely run it back. Then that team absolutely steam rolled the regular season. Again, I think they should have made a move at the deadline to add someone like Eric Gordon last year, but I can see why they didn’t. They thought they had enough and didn’t want to move future draft capital.

This summer is a tough one to evaluate. You kinda have to give them a pass at first for waiting on the KD situation. You can’t go make moves that impact your ability to get KD. However, they’ve botched the Crowder situation quite a bit and I think there were things we could’ve done to improve the team. We didn’t even use the TPMLE and could’ve potentially acquired guys like Bruce Brown, John Wall, and I’m sure many others that signed for around that amount.

I’m still waiting to make final judgement on the roster until the deadline. I’ll get excited about the new wrinkles in the offense and the improvements from Mikal and the improved play of the bench, but I’ll be upset if this is the team that enters the playoffs.
If this is the team that enters the playoffs? You mean, if Crowder is still on the roster and not playing? Yeah, I’ll be upset with that too if it happens, but I really doubt it will.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Well if it’s this team plus a minor addition in a Crowder trade…can’t just be like Justin Holiday or someone similar.