Suns News: Week 4 (11/7-11/13)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Wally_West

Re: Suns News: Week 4 (11/7-11/13)

Post by Wally_West »

I love Mikal but id trade him for KD so fast.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:26 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:00 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:54 am
it gets Sacramento off Fox’s contract too
Um, I don't think anyone sees De'Aaron Fox as a contract a team needs to get off of.
Hmm, I have actually seen that a lot.
Where?! Twitter?! Come on. He is 24. He is Sacramento's franchise player. That's like the Suns wanting to get off of Devin Booker's deal because he had a bad playoff game.

If the Kings had any desire to move Fox, they would have kept Haliburton. And if they inexplicably have a change of heart, there is a Dejounte Murray deal waiting for them.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:40 pm
Only if we had a deal to use those 2 picks plus Crowder/Saric to get an upgraded big to pair with Randle.
Shel is right that Toppin would the better player to target. Randle seems like the classic bad acquisition a team makes when they know their window is closing and they're desperate to keep it open.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

pickle

Post by pickle »

To be fair, I think fans and pundits alike tend to react to players' performances over a period of a few weeks or months, and then change their tunes later when the player improves, and then to completely detach themselves from previous comments. I too remember a period last year when Fox's contract was no longer seen as a positive. His play this year has been better, but I don't know if someone will pay a Murray type of price for him anyway. Murray is cheaper and has 1.5 very strong skills out of 3-4 to be relevant in the NBA today. Fox is pretty strong or has potential to be strong across the board, but he's not really put it all together for long stretches.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:42 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:26 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:00 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:54 am
it gets Sacramento off Fox’s contract too
Um, I don't think anyone sees De'Aaron Fox as a contract a team needs to get off of.
Hmm, I have actually seen that a lot.
Where?! Twitter?! Come on. He is 24. He is Sacramento's franchise player. That's like the Suns wanting to get off of Devin Booker's deal because he had a bad playoff game.

If the Kings had any desire to move Fox, they would have kept Haliburton. And if they inexplicably have a change of heart, there is a Dejounte Murray deal waiting for them.
Ya that’s not true at all. I saw it on Twitter, heard it on podcasts. He was trending the wrong way last season and Fox hasn’t even played in the playoffs. He’s not on the same level as Booker. Fox also hasn’t played 60 games since his 2nd year.

And a lot of people thought they moved the wrong guy for Sabonis…should’ve moved Fox, but of course Indy wouldn’t have been interested because Haliburton was the better player and cheaper.

And I’m not sure what you mean about Murray. He’s better than Fox, significantly cheaper, and Atlanta isn’t trading him.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't think they're going to make a major move just yet with Mike Brown in his first year. They may give it a season and let him evaluate.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I don’t think they will either, it was only a suggestion based on a hypothetical that didn’t happen anyways. Now we’re just talking about whether or not Fox was an asset or liability.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Imagine drafting him instead of Jackson. I still get sick over it :x

Split T

Post by Split T »

Just about anyone would’ve been better. I do wonder who was next on our list.

That draft is one of my personal biggest flops…I was scared we’d end up with Tatum and didn’t want him. I did have Isaac ahead of Jackson, but it was close and I was super happy with the pick. Turns out Isaac looks like a bad pick too.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:35 pm
Mikal is great value, even without the cap spike. Ya I’d love if he was more consistently able to create offense, but he provides a bunch of value. Our problem is paying max money to a C that can’t stay out of foul trouble and can’t create his own shot. That plus CP3 looks like Rubio so far and we’re paying him 30 million.

Also paying 30 million combined to Crowder/Saric/Shamet and getting nothing out of them.
He has stayed out of foul trouble his entire career. Are people seriously using this as an argument now? Lol. After he's played 7 games this season?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:42 pm
I’ve come around a bit on trading for Randle, but I’d want a Crowder/Saric package being what we send out. We need to do something and Randle would definitely be something.
Good to see you come around on Randle. I still think he's a great option for solving our PF need.

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

I honestly think the fans would’ve done better than Ryan McDonough.

Josh Jackson over Fox,
Bender over Jamal Murray
Trading Bogie for Chriss
Ayton over Luka

Basically he got lucky once with Booker.

Jones has been a bit better but not really.

Cam J has been great, but us fans would’ve taken Brandon Clarke and that would still be ok.

Passing on Halliburton was also a mistake.

Considering all these blunders, I just thank god we’re still fielding a competitive team. We could easily be the Kings right now.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:07 am
Split T wrote:
Mikal is great value, even without the cap spike. Ya I’d love if he was more consistently able to create offense, but he provides a bunch of value. Our problem is paying max money to a C that can’t stay out of foul trouble and can’t create his own shot. That plus CP3 looks like Rubio so far and we’re paying him 30 million.

Also paying 30 million combined to Crowder/Saric/Shamet and getting nothing out of them.
He has stayed out of foul trouble his entire career. Are people seriously using this as an argument now? Lol. After he's played 7 games this season?
He has, but he’s also made comments saying this is how he’s planning to play now, so we’ll see.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:23 am
JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:

He has, but he’s also made comments saying this is how he’s planning to play now, so we’ll see.
I thought you never believe his talk? :lol:

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I was at another event with James Jones recently, and just listening to him talk about his philosophy leaves me a bit scared for the future. He was talking about how their focus in the offseason was all about internal growth and continuity, and that they didn't execute their scheme well enough in the playoffs and just need to execute better. He said they try to block out all the noise and outside opinions. And that if they hit a rough patch the "noise" will be back and they have to just ignore it and focus internally. He said that he loves Monty and that he's the best, but that coaches always ask for more--they want more shooters, they want another All-Star on the roster, etc. He said something like, "Don't you think if we could just get another All-Star we would have?" And with regard to scouting, he said something about there only being a handful of players internationally that actually have basketball talent and that need to be scouted.

Let's just say I'm not too hopeful about any significant moves being made.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

MightyMoog wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:21 am

Josh Jackson over Fox,
Bender over Jamal Murray
Trading Bogie for Chriss
Ayton over Luka

Cam J has been great, but us fans would’ve taken Brandon Clarke and that would still be ok.

Considering all these blunders, I just thank god we’re still fielding a competitive team. We could easily be the Kings right now.
We would have picked Booker as well.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:42 am
I was at another event with James Jones recently, and just listening to him talk about his philosophy leaves me a bit scared for the future. He was talking about how their focus in the offseason was all about internal growth and continuity, and that they didn't execute their scheme well enough in the playoffs and just need to execute better. He said they try to block out all the noise and outside opinions. And that if they hit a rough patch the "noise" will be back and they have to just ignore it and focus internally. He said that he loves Monty and that he's the best, but that coaches always ask for more--they want more shooters, they want another All-Star on the roster, etc. He said something like, "Don't you think if we could just get another All-Star we would have?" And with regard to scouting, he said something about there only being a handful of players internationally that actually have basketball talent and that need to be scouted.

Let's just say I'm not too hopeful about any significant moves being made.
You should have said something!
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:34 am
Split T wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:23 am
JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:

I thought you never believe his talk? :lol:
I don’t know that I’ve ever said that. I always get hopeful that the Ayton talk will actually prove true, but I’ve been disappointed every time. But this is also an easier thing to believe. He’s not talking about showing us unseen skills, he’s talking about continuing to do something he’s already doing.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:05 pm
MightyMoog wrote:

Josh Jackson over Fox,
Bender over Jamal Murray
Trading Bogie for Chriss
Ayton over Luka

There was a lot of Jackson and Bender fans on this board. I don’t really remember very many Murray fans. I know this board would not have drafted Chriss

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:14 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:05 pm
MightyMoog wrote:

Josh Jackson over Fox,
Bender over Jamal Murray
Trading Bogie for Chriss
Ayton over Luka

There was a lot of Jackson and Bender fans on this board. I don’t really remember very many Murray fans. I know this board would not have drafted Chriss
Tatum forever <3
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.