Game Day: Suns (8-3) @ Magic (3-9), Fri 11/11/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 26772
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: San Diego, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Game Day: Suns (8-3) @ Magic (3-9), Fri 11/11/22

Post by Superbone »

Ayton unfortunately is looking like the equivalent of our own Joe Barely Carrol.
"It should burn. It'll probably burn forever. But last season is done." - James Jones

"I don't think I've ever been that angry shooting a basketball." - Cam Johnson

User avatar
Shabazz
Posts: 6024
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:16 pm

Re: Game Day: Suns (8-3) @ Magic (3-9), Fri 11/11/22

Post by Shabazz »

This game’s DA Rule of 15* count: 8




*My arbitrary measure of DA’s effort by combining his Free throws, rebounds, blocks and steals and hoping our max player will get at least 15 combined. Season count: 1
Crowder Trade Targets: Kuzma or Avdija, J. Isaac, J. Holiday + Jalen Johnson, Quickley + Reddish, Clarkson and/or Vanderbilt, Barnes + Lyles or Metu or T. Davis, E. Gordon + KJ Martin, Patrick Williams, Oubre, McConnell + Brissett

User avatar
LazarusLong
Posts: 2851
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:58 pm

Re: Game Day: Suns (8-3) @ Magic (3-9), Fri 11/11/22

Post by LazarusLong »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:33 pm
Ayton unfortunately is looking like the equivalent of our own Joe Barely Carrol.
Sadly, he's not even that good ...

Both do share the spectre of questionable draft day moves.
Ayton drafted instead on Doncic.
Carroll was drafted by Boston and then traded to the Warriors for Robert Parish and a draft choice that later became Kevin McHale.
Oof ...
Forget about Sarver--keep your eyes on the prize.

User avatar
Mori Chu
Posts: 16634
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Game Day: Suns (8-3) @ Magic (3-9), Fri 11/11/22

Post by Mori Chu »

Shabazz wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:48 pm
This game’s DA Rule of 15* count: 8




*My arbitrary measure of DA’s effort by combining his Free throws, rebounds, blocks and steals and hoping our max player will get at least 15 combined. Season count: 1
How many NBA players typically get a 15 on this stat?

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 18766
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: Game Day: Suns (8-3) @ Magic (3-9), Fri 11/11/22

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:07 am
Shabazz wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:48 pm
This game’s DA Rule of 15* count: 8




*My arbitrary measure of DA’s effort by combining his Free throws, rebounds, blocks and steals and hoping our max player will get at least 15 combined. Season count: 1
How many NBA players typically get a 15 on this stat?
Almost every starting center in the nba does…so does basically every good player that’s not a guard..and even some guards still do. Giannis averages a 27. Steven Adams does it, Jusuf Nurkic does it, Ivica Zubac does it. Even SGA does it with 4 rebounds a game.

Ayton averages 10.4, he’s behind Booker(pretty significantly) and barely ahead of Mikal and CP3.

User avatar
Aztec Sunsfan
Posts: 1692
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:56 pm

Re: Game Day: Suns (8-3) @ Magic (3-9), Fri 11/11/22

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Split T wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:26 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:07 am
Shabazz wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:48 pm
This game’s DA Rule of 15* count: 8




*My arbitrary measure of DA’s effort by combining his Free throws, rebounds, blocks and steals and hoping our max player will get at least 15 combined. Season count: 1
How many NBA players typically get a 15 on this stat?
Almost every starting center in the nba does…so does basically every good player that’s not a guard..and even some guards still do. Giannis averages a 27. Steven Adams does it, Jusuf Nurkic does it, Ivica Zubac does it. Even SGA does it with 4 rebounds a game.

Ayton averages 10.4, he’s behind Booker(pretty significantly) and barely ahead of Mikal and CP3.
Wow!!!

It’s not even a bar too high, would be interesting to know the average for Max players. Is Giannis top at 27?

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 18766
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: Game Day: Suns (8-3) @ Magic (3-9), Fri 11/11/22

Post by Split T »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:05 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:26 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:07 am
Shabazz wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:48 pm
This game’s DA Rule of 15* count: 8




*My arbitrary measure of DA’s effort by combining his Free throws, rebounds, blocks and steals and hoping our max player will get at least 15 combined. Season count: 1
How many NBA players typically get a 15 on this stat?
Almost every starting center in the nba does…so does basically every good player that’s not a guard..and even some guards still do. Giannis averages a 27. Steven Adams does it, Jusuf Nurkic does it, Ivica Zubac does it. Even SGA does it with 4 rebounds a game.

Ayton averages 10.4, he’s behind Booker(pretty significantly) and barely ahead of Mikal and CP3.
Wow!!!

It’s not even a bar too high, would be interesting to know the average for Max players. Is Giannis top at 27?
I would think so, I didn’t have an actual list, was just adding it up by myself. Rudy was just over 20, Luka is 23, Embiid is just over 22. Those are the only I found over 20.

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 26772
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: San Diego, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Game Day: Suns (8-3) @ Magic (3-9), Fri 11/11/22

Post by Superbone »

Startling. I knew it was bad but didn't know it was this bad.
"It should burn. It'll probably burn forever. But last season is done." - James Jones

"I don't think I've ever been that angry shooting a basketball." - Cam Johnson

User avatar
Shabazz
Posts: 6024
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:16 pm

Re: Game Day: Suns (8-3) @ Magic (3-9), Fri 11/11/22

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:21 pm
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:05 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:26 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:07 am
Shabazz wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:48 pm
This game’s DA Rule of 15* count: 8


*My arbitrary measure of DA’s effort by combining his Free throws, rebounds, blocks and steals and hoping our max player will get at least 15 combined. Season count: 1
How many NBA players typically get a 15 on this stat?
Almost every starting center in the nba does…so does basically every good player that’s not a guard..and even some guards still do. Giannis averages a 27. Steven Adams does it, Jusuf Nurkic does it, Ivica Zubac does it. Even SGA does it with 4 rebounds a game.

Ayton averages 10.4, he’s behind Booker(pretty significantly) and barely ahead of Mikal and CP3.
Wow!!!

It’s not even a bar too high, would be interesting to know the average for Max players. Is Giannis top at 27?
I would think so, I didn’t have an actual list, was just adding it up by myself. Rudy was just over 20, Luka is 23, Embiid is just over 22. Those are the only I found over 20.
Embiid had 42 combined tonight.
Crowder Trade Targets: Kuzma or Avdija, J. Isaac, J. Holiday + Jalen Johnson, Quickley + Reddish, Clarkson and/or Vanderbilt, Barnes + Lyles or Metu or T. Davis, E. Gordon + KJ Martin, Patrick Williams, Oubre, McConnell + Brissett

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 26772
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: San Diego, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Game Day: Suns (8-3) @ Magic (3-9), Fri 11/11/22

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:03 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:21 pm
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:05 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:26 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:07 am


How many NBA players typically get a 15 on this stat?
Almost every starting center in the nba does…so does basically every good player that’s not a guard..and even some guards still do. Giannis averages a 27. Steven Adams does it, Jusuf Nurkic does it, Ivica Zubac does it. Even SGA does it with 4 rebounds a game.

Ayton averages 10.4, he’s behind Booker(pretty significantly) and barely ahead of Mikal and CP3.
Wow!!!

It’s not even a bar too high, would be interesting to know the average for Max players. Is Giannis top at 27?
I would think so, I didn’t have an actual list, was just adding it up by myself. Rudy was just over 20, Luka is 23, Embiid is just over 22. Those are the only I found over 20.
Embiid had 42 combined tonight.
Can you even imagine Ayton having a game like Embiid did tonight? 59-11-8-7. Wow.
"It should burn. It'll probably burn forever. But last season is done." - James Jones

"I don't think I've ever been that angry shooting a basketball." - Cam Johnson

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 18766
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: Game Day: Suns (8-3) @ Magic (3-9), Fri 11/11/22

Post by Split T »

That’s 1960’s Wilt stats(if they counted blocks back then)

User avatar
Flagrant Fowl
Posts: 9021
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:04 am
Location: Haeundae, Busan, South Korea

Re: Game Day: Suns (8-3) @ Magic (3-9), Fri 11/11/22

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:30 pm
Can you even imagine Ayton having a game like Embiid did tonight? 59-11-8-7. Wow.
Excuse me? He does it regularly. On NBA 2K23.
UOducks4life in a previous life. Valar Morghulis.

User avatar
INFORMER
Posts: 7147
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: Game Day: Suns (8-3) @ Magic (3-9), Fri 11/11/22

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:17 am
We're good, we're just down our starting PG and PF and one of our lead bench guys. Take those kinds of players away from any team and they'll struggle with depth and scoring. No team is so deep to where the 11th, 12th and 13th guys are reliable enough to win games.
I guess somehow Orlando figured it out being down their best player, plus also missing Cole Anthony and Markelle Fultz.
Max Ayton vs Role Player Ayton: 2-2

User avatar
TOO
Posts: 6979
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:21 pm
Location: #JonesOut

Re: Game Day: Suns (8-3) @ Magic (3-9), Fri 11/11/22

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:30 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:03 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:21 pm
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:05 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:26 am


Almost every starting center in the nba does…so does basically every good player that’s not a guard..and even some guards still do. Giannis averages a 27. Steven Adams does it, Jusuf Nurkic does it, Ivica Zubac does it. Even SGA does it with 4 rebounds a game.

Ayton averages 10.4, he’s behind Booker(pretty significantly) and barely ahead of Mikal and CP3.
Wow!!!

It’s not even a bar too high, would be interesting to know the average for Max players. Is Giannis top at 27?
I would think so, I didn’t have an actual list, was just adding it up by myself. Rudy was just over 20, Luka is 23, Embiid is just over 22. Those are the only I found over 20.
Embiid had 42 combined tonight.
Can you even imagine Ayton having a game like Embiid did tonight? 59-11-8-7. Wow.
That's a weeks worth of production for the Suns max contract center.

JeremyG
Posts: 4114
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:16 pm

Re: Game Day: Suns (8-3) @ Magic (3-9), Fri 11/11/22

Post by JeremyG »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:55 pm
I'm starting to wonder if he already is or will end up being the most disappointing player in Phoenix Suns history, given where he was drafted as well as his innate talent/athletic ability.
It's already impossible. He led us to the Finals. Not even Steve Nash did that.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG
Posts: 4114
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:16 pm

Re: Game Day: Suns (8-3) @ Magic (3-9), Fri 11/11/22

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:30 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:03 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:21 pm
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:05 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:26 am


Almost every starting center in the nba does…so does basically every good player that’s not a guard..and even some guards still do. Giannis averages a 27. Steven Adams does it, Jusuf Nurkic does it, Ivica Zubac does it. Even SGA does it with 4 rebounds a game.

Ayton averages 10.4, he’s behind Booker(pretty significantly) and barely ahead of Mikal and CP3.
Wow!!!

It’s not even a bar too high, would be interesting to know the average for Max players. Is Giannis top at 27?
I would think so, I didn’t have an actual list, was just adding it up by myself. Rudy was just over 20, Luka is 23, Embiid is just over 22. Those are the only I found over 20.
Embiid had 42 combined tonight.
Can you even imagine Ayton having a game like Embiid did tonight? 59-11-8-7. Wow.
Considering the fact that it's never been done in NBA history, I don't think anyone imagined Embiid doing it.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG
Posts: 4114
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:16 pm

Re: Game Day: Suns (8-3) @ Magic (3-9), Fri 11/11/22

Post by JeremyG »

TOO wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:02 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:36 am
TOO wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:24 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:17 pm
A true sign of aggression from our max center. 5 rebounds, 0 fouls, 0 free throws and 1 3-point attempt. Nice to see him really step up when we're down some players. He's had every opportunity as our max center to step into our number 2 or number 3 with no clear option outside of Booker and has looked like a guy that got paid and has nothing more to prove or contribute.
I'm fairly excited to see Jeremy's argument to the contrary.
You promised me that nobody ever has an issue with him not fouling. :lol:

I'm not gonna defend 5 rebounds in 26 minutes--he needs to step up his effort on the boards. But he should still be given a chance to see what he can do with 36 mpg like Mikal & Book get.
Probably around 18/10 like most of his career.
He averaged 21/12.5 per 36 last year.

And before you say, "Those per 36 numbers aren't him doing it in actual games," here are his averages when playing 35 or more minutes last season:

22.2 ppg
14.0 rpg
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 18766
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: Game Day: Suns (8-3) @ Magic (3-9), Fri 11/11/22

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:35 pm
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:55 pm
I'm starting to wonder if he already is or will end up being the most disappointing player in Phoenix Suns history, given where he was drafted as well as his innate talent/athletic ability.
It's already impossible. He led us to the Finals. Not even Steve Nash did that.
Puts him right up there with Mark West

User avatar
LazarusLong
Posts: 2851
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:58 pm

Re: Game Day: Suns (8-3) @ Magic (3-9), Fri 11/11/22

Post by LazarusLong »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:55 pm
I'm starting to wonder if he already is or will end up being the most disappointing player in Phoenix Suns history, given where he was drafted as well as his innate talent/athletic ability.
Armen Gilliam (journeyman big)

William Bedford (total waste of a draft pick)
Forget about Sarver--keep your eyes on the prize.

User avatar
Mori Chu
Posts: 16634
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Game Day: Suns (8-3) @ Magic (3-9), Fri 11/11/22

Post by Mori Chu »

Neal Walk?

Post Reply