Game Day: Pistons (5-15) @ Suns (11-6), Fri 11/25/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
The Bobster

Re: Game Day: Pistons (5-15) @ Suns (11-6), Fri 11/25/22

Post by The Bobster »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:27 pm
Landale injured or what? A string of DNPs.
All DNP-CDs
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:27 pm
Landale injured or what? A string of DNPs.
Yeah, I saw on the report. DNP- Sore lips sucked too much ass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Way too close a game. DA always gets up to go against his old teammate Bagley

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

FINALLY! People are starting to understand that Monty is holding Ayton back and that his lack of minutes is ridiculous.

"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Postgame Quotes and Videos
Spoiler: show/hide

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Ugly win but a win nonetheless. Looked like Thanksgiving had a few guys dragging to start the game and things didn't really kick in until the 2nd half. DA carried us nicely tho and was maybe the only guy to bring in from start to finish. Glad he dominated inside and out and was decisive with his moves. He'd been sleepwalking in the 1st half of recent games so it's a good sign to him engaged for an entire game. Can he/will he keep it up?

Payne was really solid again and sliced up the Pistons' defense. They couldn't really stay in front of him, wish he would've looked for his shot more. Book got it going in the 2nd half, Mikal woke up and came on in the 3rd and helped give us the push we needed.

Okogie gave us a nice spark off the bench, which was needed in the 1st half with the way some of the starters were playing. Lee eventually gave us some offense but he's also just a solid ball mover within the offense and knows to play off the other guys. Biz is the backup center for the time being, which is a bit odd since Landale was playing well and clicking with the 2nd unit. But Monty wants rim pressure and Biz gives him that option.

Offensive rebounding was an issue in this one and we need to make sure it doesn't become a problem again. We also missed a ton of FTs, which felt more like an aberration than anything else. Just sucks we were getting to the line so much and missed 9 FTs on the night.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Got tickets to the game and sat in nosebleed seats.
Ayton looked like a max player last night.
If he played 36-38 minutes instead of 30, he probably could have had 40.

Bogdanovic looked strong in the first half, but faded in the second as the Suns started guarding him tighter.
He collided with Torrey Craig late in the game ... Pistons coach was livid and wanted a foul called.
From what I saw and the replay, they both were going for the ball and Craig stepped on the side of his foot.

Booker was inexplicably bad from the FT line, missing four.
Craig was not awe inspiring on offense, missing shots and fumbling the ball.
Monty thinned the rotation and only played nine players.
Okogie is scary bad on offense, but a disrupter on defense.
Biyombo, likewise ...
Lee was a bit off, but had some key steals.
Bridges ... couldn't throw a ball in the ocean in the first half, but had a decent second half.

Overall, the effort by both teams was what one expected for a post Turkey day game.
Pistons stayed in the game buoyed by the second unit, mainly Burks and Diallo.
Bagley had a strong second half and looked somewhat like the player everyone thought he might be ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

This was great from DA

I saw a post a couple games back saying he's only now fully recovered from the ankle and he had his best game that night. Last seen is the Pat Bev body check and DA saying postgame that he has bigger things he focused on and his teammates know how hard he works

So to come out minute 1 after that game with this response
Have to tip the hat

Last time against Jazz I said it's no way we should have let Markkanen get away with defending DA so to be continued
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

DA looked fantastic. It's games like tonight that are the reason we are so frustrated with him. Every single time he steps on the floor with NBA players, he's top 2 or 3 most athletic on the floor. Many times THE most. With those God given gifts, this should be the norm from him. Kudos on a great game. Let's start stringing these together. 7 FT attempts, 2 blocks, 12 rebounds. DominAyton.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:51 pm
FINALLY! People are starting to understand that Monty is holding Ayton back and that his lack of minutes is ridiculous.

Minutes, sure. Monty holding him back is a weak take. Maybe the minutes have had to do with the ankle and getting his stamina back as well. We're not at the practices, in the huddles, listening to Ayton communicating with coach.

How is Monty holding him back? Does he tell Ayton to not go hard to the hoop and draw fouls? Don't dunk the ball. Try to keep your rebounds single digit? Those are all things AYTON has to want, like tonight. I guarantee if he's dunking on smaller players, getting to the FT line, he's going to be fed.

I'm sure coach isn't in the huddle telling guys to actively ignore Ayton in the post. Telling Ayton to let the opposing big score at will most nights. Asking Ayton to lay it up when he's got the smaller man on him. You always blame Monty and it makes no sense. Minutes are the only fair argument but even then, he's looked gas since coming back from the ankle injury when he comes out of the game or he's in early foul trouble. Do you suggest leaving a gassed or foul plagued guy out there for long stretches?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

The Suns are playing the Jazz tonight, so Monty probably didn't want Ayton to leave it all on the floor against the Pistons.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

TOO

Post by TOO »

JeremyG wrote:

It's like you refuse to acknowledge DAs shortcomings. All of us who complain about him also give him his due when he plays well. But it's always someone else's fault when he doesn't perform. You sound like Trump and DA is your election.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

carey

Post by carey »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:49 am

Brilliant compromise.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Split T

Post by Split T »

carey wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:42 am
ShelC wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:49 am

Brilliant compromise.
Yes this worked super well. Site didn’t crash on my phone and when I opened up the spoiler it still didn’t crash. Thumbs up all around.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Love the Suns dancing with the kid...that video's been making the rounds since last night and I like that casuals and non-basketball fans are seeing it.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:10 pm
Could you see us offering DA for Ivey, Bey and Bojan
Split T wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:22 pm
We could offer…I don’t think there’s much of a chance of them accepting.
Exactly, Split. The only GM in the league that would trade Ivey would be...James Jones. He'd do it, and then be documented saying that Jaden Ivey isn't better than Alec Burks.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

This is the type of game I have expected Ayton to average by now.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:11 am
JeremyG wrote:

Minutes, sure. Monty holding him back is a weak take. Maybe the minutes have had to do with the ankle and getting his stamina back as well. We're not at the practices, in the huddles, listening to Ayton communicating with coach.

How is Monty holding him back? Does he tell Ayton to not go hard to the hoop and draw fouls? Don't dunk the ball. Try to keep your rebounds single digit? Those are all things AYTON has to want, like tonight. I guarantee if he's dunking on smaller players, getting to the FT line, he's going to be fed.

I'm sure coach isn't in the huddle telling guys to actively ignore Ayton in the post. Telling Ayton to let the opposing big score at will most nights. Asking Ayton to lay it up when he's got the smaller man on him. You always blame Monty and it makes no sense. Minutes are the only fair argument but even then, he's looked gas since coming back from the ankle injury when he comes out of the game or he's in early foul trouble. Do you suggest leaving a gassed or foul plagued guy out there for long stretches?
When he's on fire like that, 13 FGA is unacceptable. Monty should run plays for him and/or tell the guards to get him the ball. The reporters even asked DA postgame about the guards not getting him the ball. But yes, like the PHNX guys were saying in the video, Monty's minutes restriction and just inflexible rotation in general is holding him back (and has been for a long time, not just after the ankle injury, which he's clearly been over for a few games now). Like Saul said, taking him out for 9 straight minutes, especially when he's got it going like that, and bringing him back when the second quarter is more than half over is just crazy. Even Igor let him score 24 points in the second quarter once, during his rookie year.

DA could have easily had his first ever 40-point game last night, which could have really helped his growth and confidence in his ability to be dominant offensively.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:05 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:11 am
JeremyG wrote:

When he's on fire like that, 13 FGA is unacceptable. Monty should run plays for him and/or tell the guards to get him the ball. The reporters even asked DA postgame about the guards not getting him the ball. But yes, like the PHNX guys were saying in the video, Monty's minutes restriction and just inflexible rotation in general is holding him back (and has been for a long time, not just after the ankle injury, which he's clearly been over for a few games now). Like Saul said, taking him out for 9 straight minutes, especially when he's got it going like that, and bringing him back when the second quarter is more than half over is just crazy. Even Igor let him score 24 points in the second quarter once, during his rookie year.

DA could have easily had his first ever 40-point game last night, which could have really helped his growth and confidence in his ability to be dominant offensively.
After his monster night tonight and seeing them hoist 3's while he kept getting offensive rebounds, I agree. They should have given him the ball late when it was so close. He was dominAyton.