Suns News: Week 7 (11/28 - 12/4)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Suns News: Week 7 (11/28 - 12/4)

Post by ShelC »

Last Week's Games
Tue, Nov 22 vs Los Angeles Lakers WIN! 115-105 :D
Fri, Nov 25 vs Detroit 6:00pm WIN! 108-102 :D
Sat, Nov 26 vs Utah 6:00pm WIN! 113-112 :D

This Week's Games
Mon, Nov 28 @ Sacramento 8:00pm MST/10:00pm EST BSAZ
Wed, Nov 30 vs Chicago 6:00pm MST/9:00pm EST BSAZ
Fri, Dec 2 vs Houston 6:00pm MST/9:00pm EST BSAZ
Sun, Dec 4@ San Antonio 2:00pm MST/4:00pm EST BSAZ

Suns Stories
James Jones promoted to Suns president of basketball ops, GM
https://arizonasports.com/story/3403922 ... tball-ops/

Another career stretch for Ayton raises expectations once again
https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2022 ... 20-20-game

Deandre Ayton named Player of the Week

Power Rankings
NBA.com
https://www.nba.com/news/power-rankings-2022-23-week-7
#3 Suns
Record: 13-6

OffRtg: 115.9 (3) DefRtg: 109.0 (5) NetRtg: +6.9 (2) Pace: 98.3 (25)

The Suns have climbed back into first place in the Western Conference with a four-game win streak, capped by a revenge win over the Jazz on Saturday. Deandre Ayton totaled 57 points (on 22-for-32 shooting), 33 rebounds and four blocks in two wins over the weekend, with 15 of those 57 points and seven of those 33 rebounds (including six on the offensive glass) coming in the clutch. He had a big tip-dunk against the Pistons on Friday, sealed the win over the Jazz with another offensive rebound, and was 7-for-8 on clutch free throws. The Suns are now 3-4 in clutch games (3-2 without Chris Paul) and one of three teams — the Celtics and Cavs are the others — with only two losses that weren’t within five points in the last five minutes.

Paul practiced on Wednesday and could return this week, but the Suns’ temporary starting lineup had much better numbers over the winning streak (plus-17.9 per 100 possessions) than it did over the previous five games without CP3 (minus-16.4). Damion Lee has also given them some good minutes off the bench (with Landry Shamet also on the shelf) and now ranks third in the league in 3-point percentage (49.3%), having shot 10-for-19 from deep over the winning streak. He is the Splash Brother-In-Law, after all.

The Suns are still just 2-5 (with three straight losses) on the road, and their first of four meetings with the Kings is in Sacramento on Monday. All four Suns-Kings meetings were within five points in the last five minutes last season, with Sacramento responsible for two of Phoenix’s nine clutch losses.
SI.com
https://www.si.com/nba/2022/11/28/nba-p ... ks-celtics
4. Phoenix Suns
Record: 10–6
Previous ranking: 6

Phoenix came up just short twice last week. The first one-point loss can be credited to Jimmy Butler’s heroic block on Devin Booker’s would-be game-winning attempt, and the second came in crunch time against the Jazz. Even with two heartbreaking defeats, it wasn’t a bad week for Phoenix. It beat Golden State, again, on a night when Steph Curry finished with 50 and then demolished New York. Cam Payne has filled in admirably for the injured Chris Paul alongside Devin Booker in the frontcourt, and the Suns’ upcoming schedule is kind as they await the Point God’s return.

Mori Chu

Re: Suns News: Week 7 (11/28 - 12/4)

Post by Mori Chu »

Thanks for the thread, Shel. We still need more volunteers to create weekly threads!

I have to say that I still can't get with that nickname "DominAyton." Maybe because it's so ludicrously untrue given his usual play. It's almost so bad it's good; it's like calling Brian Scalabrine "The White Mamba" or something.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

BREAKING: By request of outgoing owner Robert Sarver, James Jones fires Coach Monty Williams, replacing him with his less talented brother, Taylor Williams.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Sounds to me like they're just resting Paul a ton in hopes that he'll last throughout the playoffs for a change.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:36 pm
Sounds to me like they're just resting Paul a ton in hopes that he'll last throughout the playoffs for a change.
I think the every other night schedule in the playoffs is more of a detriment to his health than cumulative regular season wear and tear or fatigue.

Seems more likely to me that they're trying to increase the responsibility load of the other top 6-7 guys for the inevitable moments when Paul can't play in a playoff game.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:28 pm
Superbone wrote:
I think the every other night schedule in the playoffs is more of a detriment to his health than cumulative regular season wear and tear or fatigue.

Seems more likely to me that they're trying to increase the responsibility load of the other top 6-7 guys for the inevitable moments when Paul can't play in a playoff game.
Eh. That would be hard to prove.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

The Suns are 7-3 with Chris Paul, and 7-3 without Chris Paul.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:35 pm
The Suns are 7-3 with Chris Paul, and 7-3 without Chris Paul.
Just don’t look up the suns record without Ayton in the CP3 era

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:51 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Superbone wrote:

Of course. They're certainly taking precaution now and it appears to not be setting back the team in this part of the season.

My point is that I don't think Paul sitting out games now will really factor into his playoff health very much. That's without knowing the severity of whatever is going on with his heel now.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:58 pm
Superbone wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Superbone wrote:

Of course. They're certainly taking precaution now and it appears to not be setting back the team in this part of the season.

My point is that I don't think Paul sitting out games now will really factor into his playoff health very much. That's without knowing the severity of whatever is going on with his heel now.
I get your point and I’m saying I hope you’re wrong and that it does help his playoffs longevity.
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Superbone wrote:

Exactly. Paul can’t last a playoff run no matter how many games he sits in the regular season

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:00 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Superbone wrote:

I get your point and I’m saying I hope you’re wrong and that it does help his playoffs longevity.
You’re wrong in hoping he’s wrong. He’s right, mr. Motorboater

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:10 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:00 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

You’re wrong in hoping he’s wrong. He’s right, mr. Motorboater
Dude, I’ve been seeing your “expert” takes. Now I’m even more convinced I’m right.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

This was a fun read

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It's behind a pay wall, so it's a bit hard to read, haha.

It's interesting that the national guys were super quick to write off the Suns right away. I am curious what they are saying now, and if that will still change again as something happens that is a slight bump in the road.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Ask and you shall receive, courtesy of The Athletic and my checking account.

Devin Booker unplugged: On Suns’ offseason, haters, motivation and MVP race he’s ‘not even in’
► Show Spoiler
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton