Game Day: Rockets (5-16) @ Suns (15-6), Fri 12/2/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Game Day: Rockets (5-16) @ Suns (15-6), Fri 12/2/22

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:24 pm
17 fouls on the Suns, 8 on Houston
6/6 FT for the Suns, 18/25 for Houston

That's got to even out some in the second half or I see some technicals coming.
Nope.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wally_West wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:10 pm
Rockets will find a way to lose. Watch.
Found a way to win tonight.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wally_West wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:22 pm
Booker free throw misses. Yeesh
Ball game.
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I was doing something else when I started "watching" the game but when I saw Book at it again I had to pause

Was like nah let me finish up and then get my popcorn ready and give the game my full attention. Needless to say I didn't think a Loss was incoming. Yikes

As with others, missed FTs drive me crazy and we lost by 1....
I liked Mikal's aggression, I even thought he was shooting too many 3s at one point but then realized he was still having a fairly efficient night

I think it's important for him to display that mindset after a bad game like the other night
Youngsters started chirping alot and would have liked Book to humble them at the end but is what it is
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:51 pm
Split T wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:44 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:40 pm
Split T wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:35 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:33 pm
So frustrating that Lee refused to give Ayton the ball for the game-winning shot.
Huh? Ayton had the ball at one point and passed it. He had a pretty good look too. Lee barely had time to get it to Booker…passing to Ayton would’ve been a mistake
Ayton had the ball when he got the first offensive rebound, but he didn't have a good look and did the right thing by getting it to Book. But at the end he was right in front of the rim, calling for the ball, and Lee made the longer pass to Booker.
I’d have to see a replay to really know, but there was 1 second left when Lee passed it, Ayton would have had to get up an incredibly quick shot. I don’t trust Ayton there and especially not when he had a pretty lackluster game. I know you see everything through strictly an Ayton prism, but this is still a stretch.

And Ayton did have a good look. He had the ball 8 feet from the rim and he’s the biggest guy out there.
I watched the replay and there was not a good pass to Ayton. Gordon was there. Ayton had his back to the basket. You’re pretty far off here Jeremy…better chance the ball would have gotten knocked away and no shot gets off.

Force feed Ayton with his back to the basket and a defender between Lee and Ayton while Ayton is having a poor game or pass it to Booker who is wide open and has dropped 92 points on 35/50 shooting in the last 2 games. Lee honestly should have just shot it, but if he’s gonna pass, Booker was the only choice.
Booker just rushed it a bit. He was wide open and probably makes it 9 out of 10 times.
"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

18 of the 30 Rockets shots in the 2nd half were in the paint (11 of 17 in the 4th).

If you let the other team drive to the basket that much you're going to commit a lot of fouls.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:00 pm
Split T wrote:
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:

Huh? Ayton had the ball at one point and passed it. He had a pretty good look too. Lee barely had time to get it to Booker…passing to Ayton would’ve been a mistake
Ayton had the ball when he got the first offensive rebound, but he didn't have a good look and did the right thing by getting it to Book. But at the end he was right in front of the rim, calling for the ball, and Lee made the longer pass to Booker.
I’d have to see a replay to really know, but there was 1 second left when Lee passed it, Ayton would have had to get up an incredibly quick shot. I don’t trust Ayton there and especially not when he had a pretty lackluster game. I know you see everything through strictly an Ayton prism, but this is still a stretch.

And Ayton did have a good look. He had the ball 8 feet from the rim and he’s the biggest guy out there.
I watched the replay and there was not a good pass to Ayton. Gordon was there. Ayton had his back to the basket. You’re pretty far off here Jeremy…better chance the ball would have gotten knocked away and no shot gets off.

Force feed Ayton with his back to the basket and a defender between Lee and Ayton while Ayton is having a poor game or pass it to Booker who is wide open and has dropped 92 points on 35/50 shooting in the last 2 games. Lee honestly should have just shot it, but if he’s gonna pass, Booker was the only choice.
Booker just rushed it a bit. He was wide open and probably makes it 9 out of 10 times.
Think he had to rush it, if he took anymore time I think the clock expires.

I will say I didn’t love the shot he took to start the possession. Step back contested 23 footer is not ideal

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Mr Max! The part time guy!

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JeremyG wrote:
So frustrating that Lee refused to give Ayton the ball for the game-winning shot, when he was calling for it right in front of the basket.
Ayton had 76 turnovers tonight. He was high on his good weed, so loose and turned it over every time
He got the ball in the paint

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Split T wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
So frustrating that Lee refused to give Ayton the ball for the game-winning shot.

I just watched it again. If Lee had gone up for the shot Gordon probably would have been in his face. He could have gotten it to Ayton before Gordon got in front of him, and if he couldn't then he should have gotten it to Bridges who was wide open after Gordon moved to Ayton. You don't pass it out for a 20-foot jump shot by an exhausted Booker whose shots weren't falling late. You go for the high percentage shot. Especially when it's Ayton and Bridges who need to get those experiences under their belt.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

There’s not a direct pass though…Lee would have had to throw it over the top. He maybe could have touch passed it to Ayton through the open window before Gordon was in position, but it would’ve been a Jokic like pass. Can’t really expect that from Lee. As for Bridges, he was behind Ayton, maybe Lee could’ve thrown up a lob, but I’m not sure there was time for that either and that’s not something Mikal is super comfortable with.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Here you give it to Ayton (2.7 seconds left):

Here you fake it to Booker and pass to Bridges or just lob it over Gordon to Bridges (still 2.1 seconds left):

Either way, you have a high-percentage shot at the rim.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Just really frustrating loss. When Ayton got the rebound he just should’ve ignored Monty and CP3 orders and dribbled it out, do some sick crossovers and then just arcade nba jam style dunked it from half court but Monty and CP3 won’t let him do cool ass shit like that. Why do they keep holding him back???? What are they afraid of?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:30 pm

Here you fake it to Booker and pass to Bridges or just lob it over Gordon to Bridges (still 2.1 seconds left):

There’s .4% probability of DA both NOT bobbling the ball away there AND going up with it instead of trying to pass it out. Remember DA had the O Board already once and chose to pass it out

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Another 1 point loss. Whatever. Refs were a factor all night and I think all the minutes so far might have caught up to Book in the 4th with some of his misses. Even with the FTs, being shorthanded, and the ball bouncing the Rockets' way all night we still had a lot of chances to pull it out. They played us tough and were the aggressors. We couldn't keep them out of the paint and had trouble with Green and KPJ all night. Fernando also hurt us later in the game with his size and athleticism.

Hope Mikal is OK after he hyperextended his knee late in the game. He was solid, we probably didn't look to him enough on offense. Book was Book but missed 3 FTs down the stretch plus some tough shots. Weird game with DA - the refs were on him in the 1st half, the Rockets were collapsing to keep the ball from getting to him, they were getting strips or just fouling him with no calls. He and the team never really found a rhythm. Payne was really good, can't ask for much more.

I think Monty needs to go back to Londale as the main backup center. The offense seems to flow a bit better and there's just better chemistry. Dario's much more of a 5 than a stretch c+s 4 but it is what it is. He looked OK and we'll have to make do if TC misses more time, just need him to shake the rust off that jumper.

I still might've tried Okogie on the perimeter for defensive purposes. Shamet's minutes are really tough to watch for the most part; I'd rather watch Okogie lock up on defense and be a zero on offense than Shamet struggle and be ineffective on both sides of the floor.

We'll bounce back, but it's also getting annoying watching a thinned out team have to work so hard because of the refs.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Postgame Quotes and Videos
Spoiler: show/hide

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Kvetch all you want about the referees, but the Rockets played like they wanted it more.
Too many second-chance points by the Rockets, too many lazy passes by the Suns, too many lost 50-50 balls.
Houston simply outworked Phoenix.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Wally_West wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:08 pm
Just really frustrating loss. When Ayton got the rebound he just should’ve ignored Monty and CP3 orders and dribbled it out, do some sick crossovers and then just arcade nba jam style dunked it from half court but Monty and CP3 won’t let him do cool ass shit like that. Why do they keep holding him back???? What are they afraid of?
Why does Ayton, the largest Sun, not simply eat the other players???

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:58 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:30 pm

There’s .4% probability of DA both NOT bobbling the ball away there AND going up with it instead of trying to pass it out. Remember DA had the O Board already once and chose to pass it out
You mean here? Surrounded by 3 Rockets players? That's where he would have turned it over--he made the right play passing it out.

EDIT: Also, notice in the screenshot Lee is telling him to go to Book and Book is calling for it.

As for the final shot, you're one of the ones who's been preaching that we need to put Ayton and Bridges through these situations in clutch time, instead of just relying on Book. And Booker's percentages on game-tying or game-winning shots has been terrible in recent seasons. How many has he made in the last 3 years? I'm sick of us relying on Booker for that final shot--I would much rather see what happens if we gave it to Ayton or Bridges near the rim.
Last edited by JeremyG on Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Ayton...ZERO FTs..not one...ZERO...for $125 Million...ZERO...